Interesting Mark Twain Fact

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
morebooks4me
Bookshelf Size: 0

Interesting Mark Twain Fact

Post by morebooks4me »

According to Mark Twin, a Biography by Albert Bigelow Paine, Twain was quoted in 1909:

"I came in with Halley's Comet in 1835. It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don't go out with Halley's Comet. The Almighty has said, no doubt: 'Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together.'"

He died of a heart attack on April 21, 1910 in Redding, Connecticut, one day after the comet's closest approach to Earth.

He also saw the death of his little brother in a dream one month before it happened.
Moore

Post by Moore »

Mark Twain was a very unsual person and there are some legends which are connected with his life and death. But every person't life is a contribution to the world life flow.
poomlie

Post by poomlie »

I thought everyone knew this.
rooserfeather

Post by rooserfeather »

Curious indeed!
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

poomlie wrote:I thought everyone knew this.
No we didn't. But I do now! (And I'll probably tell a couple of people tomorrow.)
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

I didn't know about it either.. But I learned something today :)
B-fly

Post by B-fly »

I'm happy I'm not the only one I didn't know this. Mark Twin was amazing person.
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

B-fly wrote:I'm happy I'm not the only one I didn't know this. Mark Twin was amazing person.
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
Super quote ... so true
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

B-fly wrote: "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
It took me a while to understand. lol. Very well said
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

That's nothing. I dreamed of my grandmother's death eight years before she died. Of course, the content of my dream was not remotely like my grandmother's death.

I was born three months before Pearl Harbor was bombed. I expect to die three months before some other notable military event involving the U.S. Perhaps I'll die three months before they catch Bin Laden. I'm not predicting that, though. I wouldn't want someone to kill me to improve the chances of getting Bin Laden.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

patrickt wrote:That's nothing. I dreamed of my grandmother's death eight years before she died. Of course, the content of my dream was not remotely like my grandmother's death.
You must be very close to her, it happens..
B-fly

Post by B-fly »

patrickt wrote:That's nothing. I dreamed of my grandmother's death eight years before she died. Of course, the content of my dream was not remotely like my grandmother's death.

I was born three months before Pearl Harbor was bombed. I expect to die three months before some other notable military event involving the U.S. Perhaps I'll die three months before they catch Bin Laden. I'm not predicting that, though. I wouldn't want someone to kill me to improve the chances of getting Bin Laden.
Phahahaha are you serious??? I can find a lot of events which happened in a range of 3 months around my birth. This doesn't make me Mark Twin. I'm not sure how dreaming death is special. It's scary but it happens to us all. i'm sorry for saying it :?
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

B-fly wrote:... I'm not sure how dreaming death is special. It's scary but it happens to us all...
Count me out of that "all"!
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
B-fly

Post by B-fly »

C0ldf1re wrote:
B-fly wrote:... I'm not sure how dreaming death is special. It's scary but it happens to us all...
Count me out of that "all"!
I actually meant something else. My mistake.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

You meant what?

Return to “Discuss Authors”