Stephen King Movie Adaptations

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: Stephen King Movie Adaptations

Post by Javier Campos »

I have watched many but I have never read a book from him. Just half of the mist. I rather watch movies first and the read the books.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I generally like his movies. There have been some great ones, but like you said, some were more low budget B-movie fare. Dreamcatcher stands out in my mind as particularly bad. I would recommend the Hulu miniseries adaptation of 11/23/63. It was one of the best Stephen King adaptations I've seen.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I love Stephen King books. The trend I've noticed is that if the book wasn't as good the movie wasn't either. My favorite book and movie adaptations were the Shining, The Stand and The Green Mile.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I don't really have a Stephen King movie adaptation but there is a mini series called Rose Red. I make my husband watch it every Halloween and whenever I'm feeling in a certain mood.
pink boy
Currently Reading: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by pink boy »

As a big fan of Stephen King, I always watch the movie adaptations after I read his books. I typically enjoy the newer ones more than the older ones.

I hate the films Pet Sematary (my favorite S.K. book) and The Shining.

I love The Green Mile, 1922, and Carrie (all three versions).
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I do not see any sense in watching a movie of a book I have read. The movie always comes out shallow. Stephen King's books should just remain books.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I've watched some. Usually they seem like low-budget movies. The Green Mile was good. The Shining was so much better as a book.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I have watched "The mist" but haven't read the book. I was haunted for days by the way it ended (in fact need to get the book). Took my son to watch The Dark Tower last year, I was so excited about the movie and was following it on the internet till release date. And come to think of it, it seems the movie wasn't all that great,but with Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey and the surrounding hype, it was satisfying. As for the novels, The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three are among top 1000 of all times to be preserved for all generations (just kidding)
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ali hamza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ali hamza »

The Lawnmower Man

1981 Bizarre Adventures #29 (based on the short story "The Lawnmower Man")
Creepshow

1982 Creepshow (based on the Creepshow film)
The Dark Tower

2007 The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born (first spin-off from the Dark Tower novels, published by Marvel Comics)
2008 The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home (second spin-off from the Dark Tower novels, published by Marvel Comics)
2008 The Dark Tower: Treachery (third spin-off from the Dark Tower novels, published by Marvel Comics)
2009 The Dark Tower: The Sorcerer (fourth spin-off from the Dark Tower novels, published by Marvel Comics)
2009 The Dark Tower: The Fall of Gilead (fifth spin-off from the Dark Tower novels, published by Marvel Comics)
2009 The Dark Tower: Battle of Jericho Hill (sixth spin-off from the Dark Tower novels, published by Marvel Comics)
2010 The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Journey Begins (based on the novel The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, published by Marvel Comics)
2010 The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria (based on the short story The Little Sisters of Eluria, published by Marvel Comics)
2011 The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Battle of Tull (based on the novel The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, published by Marvel Comics)
2011 The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Way Station (based on the novel The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, published by Marvel Comics)
2012 The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Man in Black (based on the novel The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, published by Marvel Comics)
The Stand

2008 The Stand: Captain Trips (based on the novel The Stand, published by Marvel Comics)
2009 The Stand: American Nightmares (based on the novel The Stand, published by Marvel Comics)
2009 The Stand: Soul Survivors [1] (based on the novel The Stand, published by Marvel Comics)
2010 The Stand: Hardcases (based on the novel The Stand, published by Marvel Comics)
2011 The Stand: No Mans Land (based on the novel The Stand, published by Marvel Comics)
2011 The Stand: Night Has Come (based on the novel The Stand, published by Marvel Comics)
The Talisman

2009 The Talisman [2] (based on the novel The Talisman, published by Del Rey)
N.

2010 N. In March 2010, Marvel published the first issue of a comic book adaptation of N., a limited series of four issues.
Road Rage

2012 Road Rage (based on the novella "Throttle")
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

Has anyone started watching "Castle Rock"? It's a TV series set in Castle Rock, which is a fictional place that SK made up in Maine. If you are familiar with his stories there are quite a few Easter Eggs in the show. Even if you are not versed in the King sphere, the show is very well written and super suspenseful.
KristinaC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by KristinaC »

I've probably seen more of his movies than I have read his books. I recently found "1922" on Netflix, and loved it. Although it was quite gory, the story line was very interesting. Right now I am reading "The Outsider" and would love to see that turned into a movie.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I liked Shawshank Redemption, Carrie, and The Shining. Most of Stephen King's books are much better than the movies. Also liked the TV version of The Stand, but the book was better.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Green Mile and The Mist were the best for me, hands down. Such powerful films. To date, the only movies to ever make me cry aside from the Lion King when I was a kid
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

I loved the book Pet Semetary, but the movie was not nearly as good - but I watched it several times anyway. I like Church the cat. The Green Mile was a masterpiece (both the book and the movie). I bought the book in installments - he wrote 6 installments of the book and released them as he was writing the next one. I didn't like that idea at all.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I haven't seen all the adaptations, but those I've seen have been good. Stephen King's books are very difficult to adapt since they are usually long and/or very complicated. I'm a big fan of the adaptations for It, both the 1990s miniseries and the recent two-part movie from 2017 and 2019. I also like The outsider which is actually an HBO show. I also enjoyed the movies In the tall grass, 1912, The Shinning, Doctor Sleep, Misery and Green Mile
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri

Return to “Discuss Authors”