Edith Wharton

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jemado
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemado.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Edith Wharton

Post by jemado »

I've read two of her books so far: "The Age of Innocence" and "Ethan Frome", and I really enjoyed both of them. I was just wondering what anyone else's opinion of her writing was. At times I guess she can be a bit wordy, but as long as you can keep up with it I think her prose is really beautiful and her stories are interesting. Also, I'd love recommendations for which of her books I should read next. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
beautybunny

Post by beautybunny »

I rather enjoyed Edith Frome. I was in a "reading rut" at the time, and only read the book because I had to for one of my classes. I figured it was short and I knew I could get through it and finish my essay rather quickly. But I wasn't expecting such an interesting story!

I didn't find her wordy, or repetative as some books can be. I really want to read age of innocence, it's on my "to read" list.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

What are the themes of her stories?
KB92

Post by KB92 »

I loved Ethan Frome, a lot. I read it about 2 years ago in my Junior year english class and sadly was the only person in my class who liked it! The story was so sad but beautifully told. Her writing style definitely appeals to me. I found tons of symbolism throughout the book and thought that it added so much to her story.
That Book Nerd

Post by That Book Nerd »

A friend of mine is reading The House of Mirth for one of her college classes. She seems to be really into it, so far. You might want to give that one a shot.

Edit: Ha. I just noticed the date on the original post. Oh well. If anyone else out there is interested, I've heard rave reviews of The House of Mirth.
Andrez

Post by Andrez »

LOVED The Age Of Innocence; have read several times.

Wasn't so keen on Ethan Frome. House Of Mirth was good, but I've never picked it up a second time.
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

I really enjoyed The Age of Innocence, but I think an index or notes should be mandatory in all versions of her books. Unluckily, I got a version of her book without the notes. I think she's an author one needs to read a few times to understand her stories.
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I read House of Mirth as a junior in high school and all I remember is crying because of the ending. I had a conversation with one of my English professors about it and he actually met his wife because she was reading HoM and he struck up a conversation with her to get her opinion :)
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
mcs1040
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcs1040.html
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman

Post by mcs1040 »

All her books are great.
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

House of Mirth, definitely! It is one of my favorite books of all time. Lily Bart is a very real character--she doesn't seem like a cardboard cutout in any way. And I know the end is sad, but it is real. Every time I read this book I get more out of it. I almost put this book as my favorite book, but Jane Eyre just barely edged out. Read it!
SarahPapesh
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpapesh.html
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Post by SarahPapesh »

I agree with Jenn+Books on the House of Mirth. The characters were so well-written. I actually went from liking her to being angry with her and back again - very easy to be engrossed in this book. I know they have done some film adaptations, too.
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

I read her book compilation Ethan Frome and Summer for my freshmen college English course and WOW. I've never chastised the protagonists/antagonists so much in a novel in all my life. But what's so eloquent is how many levels of thinking goes into development of her characters. She is incredibly insightful, especially when it comes to displaying the obligations and the infliction on females in society which was so raw and severe I was in tears at times. Wharton is honestly one of the most beautifully gifted authors when it comes to dictating the struggles of the human condition. Just wow.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I loved Ethan Frome. The irony, symbolism, and setting sort of leap off the page, in a good way. And I usually don't go for tragic romances, but I liked this one because it was subtle and not overwrought or melodramatic. It was beautiful and inevitable and doomed. This novel has favors of Emily Dickinson and Edgar Allan Poe, but is clearly told in Wharton's voice.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Sveta wrote:I think she's an author one needs to read a few times to understand her stories.
That could be why I didn't enjoy Age of Innocence. I had to read it for English my senior year of high school, and since my tastes run to genre fiction more, I had a lot of trouble getting into it (though I could very well see how it's classic literature and why my teacher assigned it). Maybe I'll revisit her work someday and see if I enjoy it any more now that I've gotten a bit older.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I had a simplified version of The Age of Innocence so it wasn't hard for me to read. I enjoyed it very much and bought ''The House of Mirth'' as the original version. But I can't seem to read it quickly, I need to improve my English more to get there.
She's a great writer and as far as I read her books, her writing is also very compelling.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Return to “Discuss Authors”