Enid blyton's noddy and his car?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ShannonGibson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Enid blyton's noddy and his car?

Post by ShannonGibson »

Blyton's work became increasingly controversial among literary critics, teachers and parents from the 1950s onwards, because of the alleged unchallenging nature of her writing and the themes of her books, particularly the Noddy series. I loved reading Noddy as a child, and I've very much enjoyed introducing him to my children. The stories still hold up today, Noddy is so cute and sweet, and these are perfect stories for bedtime.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle on this debate. I'm not and never have been an Enid Blyton 'banner', whether it's Noddy or her books for older children. But I think that it's probably advisable to edit them a little bit - for instance, in one of he books (not Noddy) the cat is called N-word, which would, rightly, be seen as utterly acceptable now.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved Enid Blyton's books and don't think her books should be banned.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

They're from a different time. No excuse for some of the words that pop up sometimes but instead of banning them, I agree with editing. I loved the Noddy books too and if I can prefer to think of them as without the occasional offence, they're not without value, so I think there's no point in banning.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Return to “Discuss Authors”