All the books of an author...

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

All the books of an author...

Post by Scott »

Are there any authors whose books you have read, all of them I mean? If so, which author(s)?

I'm trying to think of any, but I do not think that I have read all the books by any given author.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Dori
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dori »

J.K. Rowling, sadly. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
6Anna9

Post by 6Anna9 »

Me too...I mean with J.K Rowling.....er I've also read all of Tolkein's published work....that I know of anyhow....although I haven't yet read his (Christopher Tolkeins) new book...but will get onto that quickly.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Douglas Adams
Jane Austen
John Marsden
William McInnes
Amy Tan

And I'm currently working through:

Bill Bryson
JK Rowling
Jasper Fforde
Alexander McCall Smith
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

awelker

Post by awelker »

Sadly I can only say that the only author that i have read all of their works is JK Rowling.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

can only think of Patricia Cornwell at the moment....
Kari

Post by Kari »

Karin Slaughter is the only one I think. I keep reading all the books by these authors, but then they keep bringing new ones out!
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Quite a few actually- I tend to do that- get stuck on an author

Toni Morrison
Shakespeare
Kurt Vonnegut
Douglas Adams
Jack Kerouak
William S. Burroughs
SE Hinton
Edgar A. Poe
TS Elliot
Ken Kesey
Unfortunately- Jane Austen (I hate her- but it was for a case study)
Walter Mosley (I think so at least- unless there's one I don't know about)
Chuck Palahunick- Highly recommended
Emily Dickenson

And actually there are probabl more that I'm just not aware of- I read quite a lot- and work in a library, and have a degree in this... I don't really watch tv except for a select few things--- so it happens...
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
Dori

Post by Dori »

LoveHatesYou wrote:Unfortunately- Jane Austen (I hate her- but it was for a case study)
You just reminded me of a quote from Mark Twain:
Mark Twain wrote:"Just the omission of Jane Austen’s books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn’t a book in it."

I ought to read a biography on Twain some time. I keep seeing these quotes and little facts about him.

I'm rather in a quandry (sp?) when it comes to reading all the works of an author. The ones I have a particular liking towards have written huge amounts of material. Voltaire, for example.

Then again, I am a rather young reader.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Sigh... it makes this old librarian very sad to hear people don't get Jane Austen... sigh... but then those are probably the same people who dig Nabokov, and I just can't stand him in any way!

awelker

Post by awelker »

you know i have never read a book by jane austen. i tried reading pride and prejudice but i only got through the first 6 chapters. other than that i haven't really tried reading anyother things by her.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

P&P is my favourite, the witty dialogue just has me chortling all the way through. Plus Mr Darcy is delicious. My next favourite would be Sense and Sensibility.

LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

sleepydumpling wrote:Sigh... it makes this old librarian very sad to hear people don't get Jane Austen... sigh... but then those are probably the same people who dig Nabokov, and I just can't stand him in any way!
I actaully haven't read anything by Nabokov- and aren't you the same person who keep touting to each their own? I understand that at the time Austen was writing she was limited in her material, but I just can't get into it- at all. Feel free to try and explain it to me- you have my myspace. I'm open to discussion. But I had a 6wk. dissertation case study with a woman who wrote many paper on Austen and she tried too- but I do love the discussion.

Just because I don't like her, doesn't mean I don't "get" her.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
Dori

Post by Dori »

I am, without a justifiable reason, rather reluctant to read any of Jane Austen's books. I actually own a biography on Jane Austen written by her grandnephew, William Austen-Leigh and William's nephew, Richard Arthur Austen-Leigh (entitled Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters: A Family Record). Perhaps if I ever read this book, I might find some inspiration to read some of Jane's novels. However, it is not likely any time in the near future.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Actually I don't "tout" anything, but I do believe that it's important to never apologise for what you read, and it's uncool to run any author into the ground, which is what was happening on another thread.

That's why I don't say that someone is a bad author, I just say I don't like them.

And for the record, to get Jane Austen is to love her. If someone doesn't love her work, then they very clearly don't get her.

Return to “Discuss Authors”