Old authors vs New Authors

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Trina Higgs
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trina-higgs.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Old authors vs New Authors

Post by Trina Higgs »

With the changing of the times and how we, as a society, view the world around us, what do you think are the bigger differences of old authors compared to new authors? The range is up to you but I am curious on what all of you think. What are some things you like better about the old and the new authors? How about the things you don't particularly care for in the different generations of authors?
"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."
J.R.R. Tolkien
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I think the swing for me is world view. Modern literature (interpretive fiction) is honestly the last thing I would pick up to read. Even anything written in the past 150 years or so. Escapist fiction (Hunger Games, Warriors, The Squire's Tales) is my go to for enjoying a read.

Times change culture, and yes world view, but ultimately the human heart is the same. From the first moment in time, through the Roman Empire, French Revolution, and to today all people still desire love and respect. So world view can really only change so much--even though we may call similar views by different names in separate periods of time.

What the majority of culture values may shift and swing, but there are always minorities, and eventually those minorities grow and shift the balance. Soon, there are new minorities, and they'll have their day, too.

It's how these ideas and desires are expressed that's changing. Honestly, sometimes the modern vernacular is disappointing. Don't get me wrong I love a good funny easy read, but when Tolkien, Lewis, or Austen weaves a sentence with high-level words with a dash of eloquence... there's just nothing like it.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The only real difference that I've noticed in my life is that when I'm feeling down I tend to gravitate towards 19th century literature and older books in general. It's a bit hard to explain, but there's just something gentler about the language and style of writing. They don't pull on my nerves as much as more modern literature does.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

One thing I notice about the old authors verses new authors are the updates in technology in the books and other fun things that were not known in the past. Sometimes I like to read books from the old authors from something different. You might learn something you would not have known before.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

When I want a little bit of the historical, I search for old authors because their writings often detail happenings of their times. On the other hand, when I want a feel of the modern/present time, I look to new authors. It's a question of my reading preference and mood at any point in time. However, generally, I love well-written books no matter the categorization of the author.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
bakimono13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bakimono13.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by bakimono13 »

:D Old vs New authors? Hmm sounds interesting :D anyways, old authors are great since they have lot experience in writing and in views of life that also used in their writing skills. The creativity and imagination of old authors are beyond compare to new authors. Anyway we do not have always the same perception but it is what I saw. But what the good thing about new authors is that they were the one who can make new generation readers relate to what is currently making New generation readers to interested.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Old vs new author, such a great topic to contemplate upon. I think author's of old did humanity a great service with their almost flawless write ups as well fine language and good vocabulary.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
deana73
Currently Reading: Protect
Bookshelf Size: 1210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deana73.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B06XRTYRKM

Post by deana73 »

When I started reading books for about 10-15 years I only read old authors. I never read anything contemporary. Now I am on the new author kick. The old authors definitely gave you enough. Those novels would be twice the length of these new ones. I like that part. I guess I'm undecided.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Trina Higgs
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trina-higgs.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Trina Higgs »

Gifty Naa Akushia wrote:Old vs new author, such a great topic to contemplate upon. I think author's of old did humanity a great service with their almost flawless write ups as well fine language and good vocabulary.
Hi Gifty Naa Akushia,
Thank you for thinking and adding upon this topic. I didn't see anything like this on here and it was something I am interested in. The great thing about this topic is that there are no wrong answer. Old, new, even in-between, it's all good. The old brought us what we have today and the new just keeps adding and growing. The thing I like most about both is that you get to see and experience the world and life that the authors had in their times. What was going on around them, their dreams, hopes and imaginations; it's truly my favorite thing. :tiphat:

-- 03 Oct 2017, 21:30 --
deana73 wrote:When I started reading books for about 10-15 years I only read old authors. I never read anything contemporary. Now I am on the new author kick. The old authors definitely gave you enough. Those novels would be twice the length of these new ones. I like that part. I guess I'm undecided.
Hello deana73,
I am undecided as well. The old authors way of writing is something that I feel is a lost art but I love the flare the new authors have. Yep...undecided is the right way of putting it. :)
"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."
J.R.R. Tolkien
Cindy864
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cindy864 »

There is an observable evolution of authors and their writing style, its difficult for me to pin point.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I have seen a change in the values portrayed by authors of different time periods. Sometimes, older books seem to have more conservative language.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

When we say old i take all the classics and even though i have read only a few, what i understood is that they lay the founding stones of certain genres. And they did a good job. And the new authors take a new division and make extra awesome stories on top of it.
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D

Return to “Discuss Authors”