Does anyone read classical literature any more?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Does anyone read classical literature any more?

Post by Camille Turner »

I read far more classics than contemporary, not because I don't also love contemporary, but because there is an endless number of classics on my list. I could never name all of my favorite classic authors but some of them are Wilde, Dickens, Austen, Keats, both the Shelleys, Byron, Hardy, Fitzgerald, and Hemingway.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I try to make it a point to read a classic after I finish a modern book. The alternate styles really keep me foucused I believe. My favorite classical author has to be Poe.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I still read and re read classics from time to time. I personally think Emily Bronte and Thomas Hardy are the greatest classic writers.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Apart from the ones I love enough to occasionally reread just for pleasure, I suppose I very rarely read a classic now, unless it's for teaching purposes. I'm just redressing a balance, really, as for many years I stuck mainly to classics and shied away from contemporary literary work. There are still quite a few foreign-language classics that I haven't yet tackled, though: Proust, Camus and Tolstoy, to name but three.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I have not read any classics in a while but recently I purchased some at the used book store. Looking forward to diving in and remembering why these are classics.
DMR1966
Currently Reading: The Kept Women
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by DMR1966 »

I have been reading the classics off a list of 100 of the best classic books and have been enjoying it tremendously.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

The classics are my go-to if I feel like reading and don't know what to grab :D They feel very escapist and are usually beautifully written - Sir Walter Scott's Marmion, Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South come to mind. I also love the humor in older books, and if we include plays The Importance of Being Ernest always makes me laugh.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I have a whole reading list that is just hundreds of classics, including short stories. I want to read every book that is considered an influential classic. I've even downloaded whole collections of the 100 books you have to read in your lifetime. Sadly I have not read nearly enough of them yet to name my favorite author among them.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

I've read many classics and found them better than modern books.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
drmikkaka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by drmikkaka »

Jane Austen is by far my favorite--I read and reread her work all the time. Last year I was on a Dickens kick and read six or seven of his. Bleak House was my favorite. I tend to enjoy "classic" British lit over American lit.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Classic literature is like an old friend; I enjoy revisiting them. Poe is wonderful but my favorite "modern" classic author is O'Henry.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

It's the only thing that I read sometimes. I once got to the point where I completely lost touch with books written after the last decade.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I read classical literature all the time! You are not alone! Currently re-reading War and Peace
sbcollins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sbcollins »

My problem is usually that I read too many classics and not enough contemporary lit!
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

Yes, I still read classical literature from time to time. Sometimes after reading a good book, it's hard to immediately pick up another. :snooty: :snooty: I make the mistake of thinking, 'I loved this book so much. What else can I find that is similar?' It never works out, and that's why I flip flop all over the place. The only way I am able to continuously read is by never consecutively reading more than one book in the same genre. ( Unless it's a Trilogy) I rotate classics, sci-fi, true-crime, mysteries, thrillers, romance, erotica, non-fiction, plays, and anything, really. Recently I read Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, and afterward picked up A Man Called Ove, Eileen, and then Tears of the Silenced. Classics are great, but I don't limit myself to only reading critically acclaimed works. Sometimes I get an elitist vibe from the literary world. There's a common notion that if you aren't reading something that is academically recognized, then you must be reading sh*t. It's kind of like going to the gym these days...If you don't post it on Facebook, did it really happen?
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:

Return to “Discuss Authors”