Does anyone read classical literature any more?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Re: Does anyone read classical literature any more?

Post by Allie_L »

I've read some Jane Austen, Bronte Sisters, and Shakespeare, but what I'd really like to get to reading some day is the Iliad and the Odyssey
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Emilyflint wrote: 14 Jul 2017, 13:33 I love classical literature! I own several books and sometimes I just feel the need for one of them. They almost reset my reading. Sometimes you can get so caught up in a series or type of book that you need a break. When that happens I love to pick up one and read it.
What are some of your favorites?
Stacy_Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-morgan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Stacy_Morgan »

Steph K wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 13:27 I've never read classical literature exclusively, but I do read it regularly. Particular favorites are Dostoyevsky, Bronte, Austen, and Dumas.
:eusa-hand: (please read as a high five) Right with you! Love them! Though Dumas and Dostoyevsky take me a bit longer, thus I prefer audio books for those...
Stacy_Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-morgan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Stacy_Morgan »

Emz11 wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 05:07 Yes I do, it helps me learn more about my English skills making it more effective both in writing and reading
Agreed. Strange his it helps with writing, but I don't think I'd be half as good if I hadn't read the classics...
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I've read Austen, Dante, Tolstoy and Shakespeare. I'm more of a Dante and Tolstoy fan. Shakespeare never really appealed that much to me, and I find some of Austen's plot a bit repetitive.
CelticSweetie_50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticsweetie-50.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by CelticSweetie_50 »

I love reading classic literature. I hated it in High School, but now I get Pygmalion! I've read Austen, Shelley, Stoker, Dickens, and I know others, but right now the names escape me.
Sheenah684
Currently Reading: the rain watcher
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheenah684.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sheenah684 »

People definitely still read classic literature. I like to read something along those lines in-between contemporary fiction.
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

I'm working on reading down my classical lit. To-Read list, and there are some that I have really enjoyed, and some that I didn't care for (just like modern writing, I suppose). Honestly, I really love Jane Austen. Her characters are so real, and their struggles and developments seem so relatable, even though the time period is different. I really enjoyed The Scarlet Pimpernel; I was suprised by how much I enjoyed it. I find I have a hard time with annoying characters if there is nothing else to hold my interest, and that is why I haven't enjoyed books like The Great Gatsby. Of course, I enjoy these books more as I get a little older, so maybe some of my opinions will change as I reread them.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

It's been about a year since I read a classic, but I do enjoy reading them every now and then. The last classical novel I read was the Secret Garden.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I try to, I have a pile of books under my desk maybe 40 or so and I buy classics whenever I am at a book sale. I don't often read them though, I have to be in a really good mood, place and my eyes can't be hurting. It takes a lot of dedication for me, but I wish I did read them more often.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I like to read A Christmas Carol every year (in December of course), and I occasionally read what most people would call classics, but most of what I read these days is modern lit.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Classics are my favorites, they take up most of my bookshelves.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Oh my gosh, I certainly do! I reread something by Jane Austen every year. I also love old British poetry. Austen, the Bronte sisters, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Tolstoy, and Kafka are among my favorite classic authors.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Classical literature is still in the shelves of book lovers, but it is just a few who read them for diverse reasons.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

When I was really young (elementary school) ALL I would read on my own was classics - I would breeze through books for class and get bored so the school librarians kept pointing me towards more challenging books, usually classics. I remember entering high school and seeing the assigned reading in the syllabus, I probably had already read 75% of the ones on those lists.

Though it seemed like there was a minute portion of the classics people tend to know - Shakespeare is mostly known for Hamlet,Romeo and Juliet, Richard III, and maybe Julius Caesar. They are good plays, but there are so many other plays he wrote with really undiscovered characters. So now my long term reading goal is to find and read the apocrypha of classic authors.

Return to “Discuss Authors”