Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Stephen King

Post by Letora »

I have tried multiple titles through the years by Stephen King, but I can never enjoy them. He is too repetitive for me in his plots. I highly respect him though and he has wonderful advice on writing that I follow.

Books I've read were:

It
Needful Things
Carrie
Eye of the Dragon
11/22/63 (this one was ok)
The Mist
A Perfect Storm
Desperation
Dark Tower book 1

If anyone has a suggestion as to one I might actually like, I'd love to hear it. I feel like he's an author I should like, but just can't.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

His short story collection The Skeleton Crew had some good ones in there
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

My favorite of his is The Shining. Psychological horror is my favorite since it's a surefire way to actually terrify me, and this book does such a splendid job of that.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Joe Hadithi wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 20:41 His short story collection The Skeleton Crew had some good ones in there
Maybe I will give that one a try. Were they all around the same theme? Horror, but not all the same type?
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by boardj »

Stephen King is a great author! Aside from reading his fiction novels, I have to say I really love his book "On Writing"! It's great for anyone who wants to write books themselves and is looking for advice!
Sun_shi_nii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sun-shi-nii.html
Latest Review: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry by Kaviru Gayathri Samarawickrama

Post by Sun_shi_nii »

Right here!
I love all his books from the shining to it. All were equally amusing to me. I guess, they are all my favorites. :)
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Letora wrote: 04 Mar 2019, 20:35
Joe Hadithi wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 20:41 His short story collection The Skeleton Crew had some good ones in there
Maybe I will give that one a try. Were they all around the same theme? Horror, but not all the same type?
Lol, I never looked at it that way but yes they all are. It was on this day that my eyes were opened to the Stephen King Masquerade. To give him credit though, he does tell a good story.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

My favourite is Carrie, both the book and the movie.I also loved The Mist and to this day the ending of the book still shocks and terrifies me.

I am planning to start watching a series adapted from one of his books soon.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I just LOVED 11/22/63 by Stephen King. One of the best books I've ever read.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I am a huge Stephen King fan. One of my favorites Misery, that book was true to the genre, horrorific!!!! This is one of those books that makes you grab on to your reading chair. It is also one of the better movies from book by Stephen King along with The Shining and Salem's Lot. Some of his book to movie just don't give you anywhere the terror that the books did, like "It" and "The Stand".
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
The-happy-reader-7
Currently Reading: Mirror Mirror
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-happy-reader-7.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by The-happy-reader-7 »

I am a huge fan of Stephen King. He is especially gifted when writing books of a macabre nature. The best of King in my opinion would be Pet Sematary and my least favourite would be Cujo. Cujo lacked suspense and action, and i felt like there was more that could have been done with the plot. I will however continue to read his work as it is generally of superb quality. It is also noteworthy to mention his short stories are the best!
rebel13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rebel13 »

Salem's lot, The Stand, and the shining. Couldn't get into the dark tower series. Also enjoyed Robert Mccammon, who wrote they thirst, and swan's song, in my opinion they were different takes on kings novels, salem's lot and the stand.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

He's easily one of my favorite authors. I absolutely love The Talisman that he wrote with Peter Straub - it makes me cry every time I read it. There's also classics like On Writing and Carrie.

The first full Stephen King book I read was Misery. I was 13, on a reading binge, and needed to see what the big deal was. I'd also seen the creepy movie and wanted to see how different it was (Kathy Bates still gives me chills, years later). I've been a fan ever since (which is ironic, considering what Misery is about...). My sister raves about him, too. I would've never gotten into Stephen King if she hadn't read me parts of It growing up, so my curiosity was already peaked.

Does anyone else remember the first Stephen King book they read?
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I inherited my love of Stephan King from my mom, who got me into the classics at an early age. Pet Cemetery, Christine, And Carrie were my first ones, and probably the one that freaked me out the most was The Tommyknockers :shock2:
Lia81
Favorite Book: Four Funny Potatoes!
Currently Reading: Mining for Alaskan Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Lia81 »

i have seen all the films but i havent read any book of him ..i think that i will start ti read his book .. which one do you recommend me?

Return to “Discuss Authors”