Stephen King

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Stephen King

Post by Dael Reader »

11/22/63 is one of my favorites. I also liked The Long Walk and the short story collection Full Dark, No Stars.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

The Dark Tower series is my absolute favorite by King. I still remember the first time I read them; I was hooked until the very end.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I haven't read so many of his books, but I really loved The Stand and The Green Mile. His memoir about how to be a writer was also very interesting and helpful.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Jolly_Roger wrote: 18 Jul 2007, 20:51 I really enjoyed It, definitely one of his best. The very beginning really scared the daylights out of me, especially with what happened to Georgie. :shock: For the length of it, my attention was held throughout the entire reading experience. Of his books that I've read, I would have to say that it's the best. I also liked Cell quite a bit. It had a great beginning. Who doesn't appreciate a hot dog stand, cars careening out of control, not to mention people attacking one another in a zombie like haze? :lol: The ending was a bit far-fetched for me, I don't believe that he took a lot of time to develop it. There is only so long that the whole zombie-schtick can be drawn out. When the group set out on the road is when he reached "done" in that regard. :roll: That was the only bad part of the book. I also read an enjoyed Cujo, eventhough he killed off the young boy in the end. King has a way of just turning the knife so that you don't see a given thing coming-that was a great example of how he did that yet again IMHO.

I have also read The Langoliers and The Shawshank Redemption[/] I'm also currently enjoy Blaze which he wrote under the name of Richard Bachman. The best part of it is the description of how Blaze peers into the sleeping couple's room while he is climbing up the ladder to kidnap their child. :shock: Not a bad read at all, hope to have it done later tonight.

IT is definitely the best work by Stephen King in my opinion (I have read about 10 of his novels so far). The Langoliers (I believe it was a short story in "4 past midnight" collection of short stories) and Cujo come up for special mention - I really enjoyed them. The Green Mile is a collector's item for me.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
insertbookpunhere
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by insertbookpunhere »

The Cell is one of my fave books of King's, though some of it feels a bit outdated now. Most of his older classics have left an impact on me. His short stories especially are amazing. Also, I love...I think it's called The Eye of the Dragon? It's been a while.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

I haven't found anyone who agrees with me yet but Duma Key is by far my favourite King novel! I read it on holiday in 2008 and literally stayed up all night to finish it. It was riveting! I loved it so much.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
LiterateSloth1
Currently Reading: Father Elijah
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by LiterateSloth1 »

It, 'Salem's Lot, and the Dark Tower series are the best of King. Currently reading Under the Dome and also REALLY enjoyed his newest The Outsider. Anyone else seen Gerald's Game on Netflix?
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Pet Sematary is absolutely the freakiest book I have ever read. The concept for the story and how it was written is awesome. Salem's Lot also draws some goosebumps. He also just has some great drawn out stories to read like "Dome" or "The Stand".
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

My favorite book of his is Dreamcatcher. I want to read the Dark Tower series. Sometimes I'm torn when it comes to King. I feel he has very strong Titles but, sometimes, he releases a lot of crappy stuff. He's a great author, don't get me wrong. It's just sometimes I feel he publishes stuff for the sake of having a new novel instead of taking his time in something he enjoys writing.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I’m a king fan. I have a lot of favorites, but probably The Stand is at the top of the list. The characters were so interesting. I also loved the Mr Mercedes books
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Misery has got to be my fav!

I want to add that I've heard lots of mixed opinions on Doctor Sleep, which is the 'sequel' to The Shining, and personally loved it. It wasn't as terrifying as The Shining but was a very fulfilling read. So if you ever wondered what happened to little Danny, you should definitely check it out!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Jessica12584
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jessica12584 »

alot of people say his older books (Bachman books) are better then his newer stuff. The most recent one I've read is duma key and it was brilliant! I like both old and new stephen king. Ive read quite a few.
ebook_addictsuk
Currently Reading: Through the Nethergate
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by ebook_addictsuk »

I am fan, and have just inherited all the Stephen King books my dad had we he passed away last month - my favourite is Misery, Needful Things and IT.
Hated Dream-catcher and the movie was even worse!
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

Stephen King is my mom's favorite author and I'm a little salty at myself for not getting into his books earlier. My mom tried for like 6 years to get me to read The Dark Tower series (I could not get through the desert in The Gunslinger). I'm currently not reading Wizard and Glass because it's getting close to "the reaping day" and I'm just not emotionally prepared for that.

I also bought Nightmares and Dreamscapes and The Stand recently and Im excited to start those as well
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I love Stephen King! “IT” is one of my all-time favorite books. The others I loved were Needful Things and 11-22-63 and Misery. I need to read the long version of The Stand this year :)
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Discuss Authors”