Jodi Picoult

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Re: Jodi Picoult

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I have read a few books from her in the past, but it was so long ago that I don't remember. I own a few of them and have yet to read them, but from what I remember I really liked her writing. I am excited to read My Sister's Keeper, because I thought the movie was so good.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

Kaitlyn12 wrote:I have read a few books from her in the past, but it was so long ago that I don't remember. I own a few of them and have yet to read them, but from what I remember I really liked her writing. I am excited to read My Sister's Keeper, because I thought the movie was so good.

The ending of the book is completely different. Just a heads up! I know of people who hated the ending of the book. Either way, both are tear jerkers.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I finally started reading my first Jodi Picoult book, Salem Falls, just a week ago. I'm halfway through and wishing I had more reading time available. I especially like her characters--they all have good and bad sides, regardless of whether they are main characters or not. What I'm not sure I like so much is the length and detail of the story. It seems to me that it could be done with shorter chapters and a little less information (I'm not sure every bit of information is necessary for the reader).
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I have been reading Jodi Picoult for the last ten years! I think it's amazing that an author can spit out so many books with so many fresh ideas and well developed characters. Leaving Time is by far my favorite of her books. I'm very excited to read her newest book Small Great Things!
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Yes i've read quite a few of her books. The first one was My Sister's Keeper and then the rest I read from her went downhill. I have given up on reading her books.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Lteezee
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lteezee.html

Post by Lteezee »

I have not read any of her books so far but am interested in reading Small Great Things. Has anyone read it yet? Thoughts?
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

I read My Sister's Keeper & The Pact years ago and still have Nineteen Minutes to read. I think she is a very good writer, I use to refer to her as the female John Irving with how she dealt with real life tragedies, not just problems but tragedies. My only gripe with her is that she got a little too trendy. It's fine if books gain a following and become more known but I feel like it showed in the writing some and the themes began to get a little predictable. Again, I haven't read her in years and still have some books of hers I wanna try so I wouldn't by any means knock her off your to-read shelf.
Fyrerescue29
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fyrerescue29.html

Post by Fyrerescue29 »

I have read all of her books but the best one in my opinion is Handle with Care. The ending was a shocker and still sends chills down my spine. Read this book to see what a talented author Jodi is.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I have read a few books by Jodi Picoult and have enjoyed all of them.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

JohnnyOstentatious wrote:I just read Tenth Circle. Over at Library Thing, I gave it three out of five stars because she's great at characterization and has great prose, though the ending seemed a little too pulp fiction for her writing style. I'm probably going to download Second Glance from audible.com. Anybody read her?
Never heard of her. I'll have to check her stuff out.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

My first Jodi Picoult book I read was House Rules and it continues to be my favorite of her books.
I have also read My Sister's Keeper, Salem Falls, and The Pact, all of which I also enjoyed though Salem Falls would be my least favorite. I was able to find other books by her for really cheap at a local Goodwill, so I plan on reading more.
My problem is that all her novels seem to follow the same formula/pattern so I can only read one of her novels and need to read other things before reading another of her tales.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Yes, I really enjoyed My Sister's Keepers. I tried a few more of her books but have given up. I was very disappointed.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I have one of her books, but I have not read it yet.
lewihm42
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B01DXVKQU6

Post by lewihm42 »

There is a recent book by her, Small Great Things.
It incorporates a writing style she has used in multiple books, but this one somehow bridges two completely opposite opinions.

For those who do not particularly like Picoult, I would still recommend some of her more popular books because (like Small Great Things) they hold some powerful messages and great research.
MrsNMJames16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MrsNMJames16 »

lewihm42 wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 19:41
For those who do not particularly like Picoult, I would still recommend some of her more popular books because (like Small Great Things) they hold some powerful messages and great research.
I've always thought that her books contain such beautiful messages. Some are difficult to hear but just like you said, powerful, so powerful! The only book I haven't read of hers yet is Small Great Things and I am hoping to read it very soon. She does have a new book coming out later this year that sounds AMAZING! I cannot wait to get a hold of it,

Return to “Discuss Authors”