Jodi Picoult

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
JohnnyOstentatious
Bookshelf Size: 0

Jodi Picoult

Post by JohnnyOstentatious »

I just read Tenth Circle. Over at Library Thing, I gave it three out of five stars because she's great at characterization and has great prose, though the ending seemed a little too pulp fiction for her writing style. I'm probably going to download Second Glance from audible.com. Anybody read her?
awelker

Post by awelker »

The only book that i have read by her is My Sisters Keeper. I loved this book. I couldn't wait to get to the ending to see what happens.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

I have read a few of her books...bu my fave was My Sister's Keeper. I was a bit disappointed in the others though, I guess because I had set my expectations to high after reading MSK.

MSK-loved it
Second glance-eh....it was pretty good
The Tenth Circle-ok...not surprised at ending
Vanishing Acts-ugh....painful read
The Pact-liked it

am now reading Nineteen Minutes...going ok
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I've just finished my first Picoult book, which was My Sister's Keeper. Fantastic book, a really thought provoking story, but the ending seemed such a cop-out to me. I just feel like she took the easy way out with that ending.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Sofia

Post by Sofia »

sleepydumpling wrote:I've just finished my first Picoult book, which was My Sister's Keeper. Fantastic book, a really thought provoking story, but the ending seemed such a cop-out to me. I just feel like she took the easy way out with that ending.
that was a great book. but I did like the ending, I thought it would go the other way. it is being turned into a movie btw :D
awelker

Post by awelker »

It seems like everything these days is being turned into movies. This one, The Time Traveler's Wife and so many more.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

awelker wrote:It seems like everything these days is being turned into movies. This one, The Time Traveler's Wife and so many more.
I agree...but they usually distort the book so badly it's hardly recognizable....two books off the top of my head I just heard about are I Am Legend starring Will Smith :roll: and also Blindness by Jose Saramago...hey, is there a thread here on books into movies? (hint, hint :lol: )
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

My Sister's Keeper is the only one I've read as well. Overall I loved the book, but I'm torn about how I feel about the ending. On one hand I like it because it's such a reversal that it makes you think. At the same time I don't like it, because like someone mentioned before, it does seem like a cop out. I kind of felt like Picoult herself wasn't sure how she wanted to end the novel - should Anna donate to Kate? Should she not? So instead, well, she used a cop out method. I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. It did make me sad though.

I wanted to read The Tenth Circle, but I've heard such horrible reviews that now I'm not so sure. I still have it on my reading list, but it's a lot lower priority than it originally was.
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

notrorygilmore wrote:My Sister's Keeper is the only one I've read as well. Overall I loved the book, but I'm torn about how I feel about the ending. On one hand I like it because it's such a reversal that it makes you think. At the same time I don't like it, because like someone mentioned before, it does seem like a cop out. I kind of felt like Picoult herself wasn't sure how she wanted to end the novel - should Anna donate to Kate? Should she not? So instead, well, she used a cop out method. I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. It did make me sad though.

I wanted to read The Tenth Circle, but I've heard such horrible reviews that now I'm not so sure. I still have it on my reading list, but it's a lot lower priority than it originally was.
actually....I read in her interview (on her own site, www.jodipicoult.com) that she already knew how it would end before she even wrote a word of it. You should read it, it's really a good interview :)
Linda

Post by Linda »

i was talking to a teacher on line at Borders...because the lines are so long and i like to talk to strangers, anyway she said Nineteen Minutes was a really good read.

i really liked The Pact.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

Linda wrote:i was talking to a teacher on line at Borders...because the lines are so long and i like to talk to strangers, anyway she said Nineteen Minutes was a really good read.

i really liked The Pact.
I just finished Nineteen Minutes, and yeah, it was good. A bit of a twist in there, which makes it worthwhile. You should read it :)
Weave

Post by Weave »

I have read 'My Sister's Keeper', 'Keeping Faith' and the start of 'Vanishing Acts', I really enjoyed 'My Sister's Keeper', such a heartbreaking story x
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

Weave wrote:I have read 'My Sister's Keeper', 'Keeping Faith' and the start of 'Vanishing Acts', I really enjoyed 'My Sister's Keeper', such a heartbreaking story x
hehe @ "the start of vanishing acts"....I read that too...NOT her best :roll:
Weave

Post by Weave »

Sofia wrote:
Weave wrote:I have read 'My Sister's Keeper', 'Keeping Faith' and the start of 'Vanishing Acts', I really enjoyed 'My Sister's Keeper', such a heartbreaking story x
hehe @ "the start of vanishing acts"....I read that too...NOT her best :roll:
In all honesty Sofia, I can not get into at all, I have read the start (as I said) and it is just so, well boring and kind of pointless x
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

Vanishing Acts is by far her worst in my opinion....it was boring, and couldn't hold my interest. took me forever to finish it.

Return to “Discuss Authors”