What author has never let you down?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Re: What author has never let you down?

Post by Cate Mbevi »

briellejee wrote: 04 May 2018, 21:08
Cate Mbevi wrote: 02 May 2018, 07:16 John Grisham always makes sure his crime thrillers are exactly that.
True. I really love Grisham. What's your favorite? But i was a bit disappointed with Painted House. Have you read that one?
My favourite is The Partner. It is an old one but I keep remembering it. I have never read Painted House. What disappointed you in it?
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Cate Mbevi wrote: 15 May 2018, 13:58
Cate Mbevi wrote: 02 May 2018, 07:16 John Grisham always makes sure his crime thrillers are exactly that.
True. I really love Grisham. What's your favorite? But i was a bit disappointed with Painted House. Have you read that one?
My favourite is The Partner. It is an old one but I keep remembering it. I have never read Painted House. What disappointed you in it?
Oooh. haven't read that one yet. I guess the ending was a bit disappointing. You know how everything makes sense in the end in his books? I think that was missing in the Painted House.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Allylynn09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allylynn09.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B01J94SWWU

Post by Allylynn09 »

Robyn Carr
Ladykiama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladykiama.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ladykiama »

Rick Riordan. And yes I have read the burning maze. And the Kane series. Still love him. I think people need to cut him some slack. The burning maze is leading up to something big and perhaps if Disney wasn’t forcing him to write 2 series at once and publish one ever 6 months he could truly give it more of what you want. I think right now he is more devoted to the Norse series and I for one love it. The Apollo series seems to just be something he is writing because he is knowledgeable enough about the mythological aspects and has the characters developed enough to be able to quickly write something when his devotion is on another series.
SingularityRising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SingularityRising »

Kim Stanley Robinson always delivers the most realistic sci-fi writing out there :)
_mylilyotv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by _mylilyotv »

Iain Rob Wright was the author that came straight to my mind when I read that question. Iain Rob Wright has never let me down, he writes horror and each one is unique and as terrifying as the other. I highly recommend him to anyone who like anything a little scary - he doesnt just write about classic horror (eg. zombies) he writes about things based on what's actually happening around us (a zoo that fights back, a big brother house which is pretty saw-esque). He's brilliant.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

Lisa Kleypas has never let me down. Her writing style always adheres to my expectations.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I've realized that I've read books by authors, but only 1 or 2 or 3. Maybe 4 here and there. And I've never been disappointed. So those authors are Nora Roberts, Karen Kingsbury, James Patterson, S.E. Hinton, etc. Most of who are mentioned here on this thread. Usually the books I've picked out, I've always liked so :tiphat:
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Hannah_Vibbert
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Hannah_Vibbert »

Anne Rice, Stephen King (mostly), and Kim Harrison. I can read and re-read their books and fall in love with them all each time for different reasons.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Rick Riordan, Terry Pratchett, and Richmal Crompton (author of the William books).
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

Ted Dekker, Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Patricia Cornwell, Dan Brown, J.K Rowling and Sandra Brown.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

This is a hard question! So far,Tami Hoag (I love her mystery/crime books), Edgar Allan Poe, Iris Johansen, Vctoria (V.E.) Schwab and Margaret Atwood
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Books are my life. So granted I have read tons of them. It is difficult to choose only one author among so many. However, the one who has never let me down is none other than the master storyteller, Sidney Sheldon.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

John Sandford and Lee Child. I usually grab one of their books when I'm heading to a flight or vacation as I know they will never let me down and it will be fun and easy to read.

Nelson DeMille is also pretty good but can be a little more intense reading for a flight or vacation.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

briellejee wrote: 15 May 2018, 22:36
Cate Mbevi wrote: 15 May 2018, 13:58

Oooh. haven't read that one yet. I guess the ending was a bit disappointing. You know how everything makes sense in the end in his books? I think that was missing in the Painted House.
I remember "Painted House" really good and then rough ending. I didn't really like "Gray Mountain" either. A big advertisement about why coal mining was bad and many opportunities for great stories and they all fizzled out.

Return to “Discuss Authors”