Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't s

Post by Erik »

greywalker wrote:
I also know what you mean about someone else taking over a series and ruining it. I used to love Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, but then her son Todd took it over. His writing was too different, and I despised it. I don't read the series anymore.
I'm glad someone else here has read Anne McCaffrey. Although, my favourite of hers was 'The Ship Who Sang'. And I agree with you about Todd's writing... the 'voice' was just too different, and it kept dragging me out of the story. I still re-read the ones she wrote, but I don't bother with anything he had a hand in writing.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I can make it three!
She has a really odd way of describing things that gets on my nerves... I put down one of her books when she went as far as to describe a simple fork as a "three-pronged" something or other. It's really unfortunate, because I feel like if she had someone to knock her upside the head whenever she starts getting too poetic, her books might actually be interesting instead of distracting.
Yeah, exactly. Her descriptions always confused me, and often made me have to read the same sentence three times to understand she was actually describing a super basic object. Also didn't like her characters tbh. Everyone is always going on about how Jace is such a 'romantic character', but honestly I hate him. He's unnecessarily mean and rude (and no, a tragic backstory doesn't excuse that sort of behaviour). I hate most of the characters from the Mortal Instruments, but especially Jace.
I actually liked the idea though, with all the different mythologies mixed and all that, but the execution was just very poor in my opinion.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Jess_8510
Currently Reading: Talking As Fast As I Can
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B01D90SGVC

Post by Jess_8510 »

My first thought was Stephen King. His books are so long, and unnecessarily so. The only thing of his I ever liked was The Green Mile, which was originally written in a serial format. However, I also dislike Stephanie Meyer. I read the first Twilight book and struggled to finish because I found it boring and the characters unlikable.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

Stephen King. I used to like him; I've enjoyed many of his books, but I've seen his pompous arrogance in his criticism of other authors, and I lost all respect for him as a human. He came off as a jealous twit when commenting on the immense rise to fame of Stephanie Meyer with the Twilight series for example. Petty. Be professional, not childish.
thejadedvoice
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thejadedvoice.html

Post by thejadedvoice »

Bad Macaw wrote:
grammy57 wrote:Stephen King
I don't like Stephen King's writing either! I find it so dull! :roll2: I love horror, but I have to roll my eyes when people recommend his books
I do like some of the film adaptations though!
I feel the same way. The only SK book I've liked is 11.22.63 Mr. Mercedes is on my bookshelf; bought it over a year ago but haven't read one word yet.
Miguelio
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miguelio.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by Miguelio »

James Patterson. His books make me fall asleep, and Zoo was terrible. (Have tried seven books by him thinking... well he is so popular I must be wrong)
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Miguelio wrote:James Patterson. His books make me fall asleep, and Zoo was terrible. (Have tried seven books by him thinking... well he is so popular I must be wrong)
To be fair, James Patterson uses a lot of ghost writers... And if you're not good enough to write books under your own name, you probably shouldn't be ghostwriting for a famous author...
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I have to agree with everyone that mentioned Stephen King. I've only ever read two of his books, The Shining and its sequel, and they were both not scary and actually boring. Which makes me think that the majority of The Shining's fame must be because of the movie.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

Bad Macaw wrote:
I second this. I've actually come to the point where my hate for her books has become almost irrational. I can't help it, I just really, really dislike her books.[/quote]

Hahaha the irrational comment made me think of Sophie Hanna and the "new" "Poirot" "books".

I'm a really REALLY big fan of Agatha Christie. So when I heard somebody would be writing new Poirot books, I had mixed feelings. I ended up reading the first one, I WANTED so much to have new Poirot stories...What a disappointment. I HATED everything about the book.

After that, people have told me "but hey, her other mystery books are really good!" and I'm just like
NO
NOOOOOOOOO
NO!
:hand: I completely on totally agree on this point.
NO.
NEVER.
NO.[/quote]
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Paulo Cohelo. Everyone around me just loved the Alchemist. And everyone was like it the best book ever and all. And when I read that book. Disappointed. It has been overhyped so much! I just dont understand why?
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Chetan Bhagat. He is a really popular indian author whose works I simply cannot stand.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Agatha Christie, Stephen King, Sidney Sheldon, and the 50 shades of Grey author. I really don't get these authors. Especially Agatha, I don't get peoples' fascination with her books.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

greywalker wrote:I absolutely agree with George RR Martin. I've tried several times to get into the Game of Thrones series. But I just can't do it. I feel the same way about a number of other fantasy serieses. My thinking is that if the series is so complicated that I need a handbook or reading guide just to keep track of all the characters and storylines then it ceases to be leisure reading and becomes work. Not exactly the kind of reading I'm looking for.
I can totally understand that. It's very complex. I can also understand why people find that appealing. I've read the first book and a half of the Game of Thrones series and I couldn't get into it. I just can't handle so many characters dying. I get too attached.

For me, I really don't like J.D. Salinger. Or well, more specifically, I didn't like Catcher in the Rye at all. I know a lot of people like it. I just can't deal with it.
Harley1984
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=28294">A Discovery of witches</a>
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley1984.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Harley1984 »

Definitely Stephen King. His books are too out there for me. Even though I am named after one of his books. I like Cassandra Claire well enough, though haven't read any of her books. Also, now I am curious about the plagiarism because I had not heard about that. Also. George RR Martin. I heard that he was a great writer, bought one of his books, but never read it. It just didn't catch my attention.

But am I the only that thought Hunger Games was boring. Sure when they went into the arena it picked up, but the beginning of the story was so boring that it was hard to finish.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Stephen King was the first name that came to mind, and I seem to not be the only one. I actually rather liked Misery and The Shining, but it was On Writing that made me personally dislike him. Despite that, I still tried to read Under the Dome but quit after the dog was shot. It was just so needlessly emotionally manipulative that I just had enough.

Another one is John Grisham. Read the Pelican Brief and The Firm and hated both of them.

Ken Follet. I've only read one book of his, The Pillars of the Earth, but it angered me so much that I just have to mention him. Started out as good historical fiction, but the author became too in love with one of his characters.

Return to “Discuss Authors”