Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't stand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
JudyJo
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyjo.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Who is an author everybody seems to love and you can't s

Post by JudyJo »

grammy57 wrote:Stephen King
I have to agree with this comment! Stephen King is the first name that popped into my head. In fact, it was only after watching a couple of his stories made into movies that I attempted to read those same
stories (Thinner and The Langoliers). And I was really disappointed in the pace and style.

I am just glad that someone else took the time to imagine the plot and how it would play out on the big screen.

I might add that his physical presence, in my opinion, adds dark mystery to his work.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

J.K Rowlings and Stephen King
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

G.K. Chesterton. Everyone at my Christian college was obsessed with him, but I didn't see the charm.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
FNAWrite
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FNAWrite »

I like Stephen King. I mention this so I can note that often discussing authors when I say I like King, people will say 'You must like Dean Koontz.'

Nope, I don't. Just read "Mr. Murder" over the weekend, first Koontz I ever finished, still don't like his work.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Without question Stephenie Meyer. The Twilight books really suck - and everyone seems to love them. I found them sugary, boring, full of artificial angst and, frankly stupid. The writing is sloppy too. Oh yeah, the Artemis Fowl books. I've tried to read the first several times, but gave up.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Bad Macaw wrote: I have friends who like Nicholas Sparks and Paulo Coelho, and I simply don't understand why. I've tried reading some of their books but ended up throwing them across the room.

I agree with you on Nicholas Sparks! I cannot for the life of me figure out why he is so popular and why all of his novels automatically get film deals. I have read at least six of his books (some of which I read as a book reviewer), and I'm just baffled. The only book of his I truly loved was "The Lucky One," which was a great story and also went on to be a great movie. I found "The Notebook" and "Safe Haven" were both good movies, but the first was a depressing book, while SH was mediocre at best. Then, there have been others I read that were just plain terrible.

I'm sure there are far worse authors out there, but because Sparks is so prevalent these days, he is the only one that comes to mind.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Like some others have said, I have never been able to get into Stephen King's style. He seems to be one of the most popular writers, but his books just aren't for me.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

Nicholas Sparks I can't stand. I have only ever read one thing by Stephen King that I have enjoyed (I do not like his writing style at all!). And finally, F. Scott Fitzgerald. I just don't get it. And I have many friends who adore all of the above. I don't like the movie versions of the books either. :(
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

There's not alot of author's that I dislike, but one that everyone loved, and I was like Ehh lol.. Stephanie Meyer. People were so in love with 50 shades of Grey, though I enjoyed it. I had already read other author's in the BDSM genre that I felt gave a better story. Cherise Sinclair, Lexi Blake and Joey W Hill to name a few, so I wasn't so taken aback by the subject matter, and to me it was a coping mechanism instead of something that he truly needed to enjoy intimacy.
Cinderella53

Post by Cinderella53 »

I know this is a very unpopular opinion, but I would have to say Stephen King. Does anyone else feel the same way?
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Interesting how this discussion is going. Perhaps I don't dislike Stephen King as much as some here - for instance I quite like 'Misery' and 'Hearts in Atlantis' but have to admit I have started 'It' and 'The Tommyknockers' over and over and never been able to get into them.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I wouldn't say I can't stand them, but I think the Harry Potter books are vastly overrated.
Without question Stephenie Meyer.
- this reminded me of my other biggie: EL James. Fifty shades of appalling writing!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Shakespeare, if that counts, I just find it impossible to read.
Deboleena Mookerjee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deboleena-mookerjee.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Deboleena Mookerjee »

Stephen king...just can't seem to read Mr. Mercedes. Dean Koontz too. I have tried to read him multiple times, but put the book down in despair. Or is just that particular book bad? ( I've been trying to read " from the corner of his eyes".
radioactivelyradiant
Currently Reading: Popular Crime
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radioactivelyradiant.html

Post by radioactivelyradiant »

Stephen King clearly has the talent to write very well, but he drones in for so long about nothing. I'm all for some imagery and metaphor, but he ends up going on for 400+ pages on a book that could be 200.

Return to “Discuss Authors”