Mythology and Comparative Religion?!?!

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jessejaiden94
Currently Reading: shiva and dionysus
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessejaiden94.html

Mythology and Comparative Religion?!?!

Post by jessejaiden94 »

Does anyone have any favorite authors on this subject?
Why are they your favorite?
Which book/series is best in your opinion?
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

Greetings jessejaiden94,

Fantasy, mythology, comparative religion, and the sort are my favorite genres of stories ever, so it seems a bit odd for me to admit that I do not know of many authors in the genre. I am really hoping to read some new stories of these genres in my time here so that I can answer questions like this in the future.

However, I do know of a more obvious author. Rick Riordan, the author of the "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" book series. This book series is actually my favorite book series of all time, as it was what really made me get into writing for myself and opened my eyes to the world of storytelling where I was blind before.

He takes the mythologies of Greece, Egypt, Germanic lands, and other cultures and writes them into modern times with the children of the gods being the main characters who must defend against the ancient evil forces the gods themselves once fought against. I really adore these books for more than one reason, and certainly recommend them to anyone who takes a liking to mythology, fantasy, or comparative religion.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

There is a writer Devdutt Pattnaik. He writes about topics related to Hindu Mythology and I must say his views on these things are so relatable. I love his work.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I have only read Rick Riordan on this subject, and while I have generally outgrown it, I still read his new books for nostalgia's sake. I have read a lot of non-fiction on the subject, and would probably enjoy reading more on this topic.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Harley1984
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=28294">A Discovery of witches</a>
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley1984.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Harley1984 »

I would have to agree that Rick Riordan is my favorite on this subject. However, I did not care for the Percy Jackson Series. It was his Hero's of Olympus series that I read with my son. That series was amazing and what I wish Percy Jackson was.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Rick Riordan, of course. I love his unusual take on the myths and legends. I think Neil Gaiman has one on the Norse legends. Then, of course, there are lots of books telling folk stories. I've read quite a few African ones - try Marguerite Polland, but there are lots of African authors. Ancestor worship is still big. I read a wonderful book called Three Women of Tibet (can't remember the author), that gave real insight in Buddhism across three generations.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I love the Mythos Academy books by Jennifer Estep. An unconventional outlook of mythology. Think a mix of Rick Riordan with more mythological pantheons.

The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon is also a wonderful read and the 14th book Acheron is my fave.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-

Return to “Discuss Authors”