Favorite fantasy writers

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Favorite fantasy writers

Post by KCWolf »

JRR Tolkien, Mercedes Lackey, George RR Martin, JK Rowling, and Terry Brooks are amongst my favorites.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote: 26 Nov 2016, 21:28 Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite fantasy authors. I posted these mini-reviews in a discussion about books by Brandon Sanderson. I have copied them below:

I would recommend reading Elantris if you want a shorter, self-contained story. You follow the travails of Roaden, a prince of his people, who is stricken with a mysterious disease that has blighted his people. He is thrown into the once powerful city of Elantris, where citizens stricken with the disease are now imprisoned. The story follows Roaden as he battles to overcome the illness and return Elantris to a city of power that it once was. Central to Roaden's struggle is his finding and interpreting Aons, symbols that gave Elantrians magical powers. Many of these Aons can be seen on Sanderson's website as jewelry available for purchase. This story is soulful and you find yourself cheering Roaden through his successes and sharing heartbreak during his failures. Overall, Elantris is well worth the journey!

Another recommendation is The Mistborn Trilogy. This trilogy is an amazing work of storytelling! With epic battle scenes, romance, and intrigue, not to mention, characters that you love and love to hate, you can't go wrong. With Kelsier, Vin, and Eland as protagonists and the Lord Ruler and the fantastical Steel Inquisitors with spikes for eyes as antagonists, the story is full of suspense, action, and Sanderson keeps readers guessing as the plot twists through this dark and compelling world. One aspect of the story that is extremely entertaining is the ability of characters to gain magical powers by manipulating metals. Vin, a Mistborn allomancer, gains power as she ingests metals and her body "burns" them releasing certain powers. Fantasy/science fiction at its finest!

Other great reads are The Way of Kings and Warbreaker.
One of his greatest qualities is his consistent great writing. Other writers have one great series and the rest of their writing is forgettable. He also writes consistent Epic Fantasy which requires entire magic systems and worlds. He's incredible.
oceana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceana.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by oceana »

I have a lot of Favorites for fantasy writers. Kristen Britain, Rick Riordan, Brian Jacques, Erin Morgenstern are just a few. All of them are amazing and I love everything they write.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I have many (veeery many) fantasy authors who I love, and am above all else a giant Tolkien nerd. However, I thought I would add a name of a fantasy author that I have very recently come to love! Jeff Wheeler's Kingfountain series (four books, released between 2016-2017 and free for Kindle Unlimited users) was absolutely incredible and I cannot recommend it enough!
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I must say that I'm more a series type of reader when it comes to fantasy, so authors who are more of one-offs tend not to hit my radar. That being said, I really enjoy Piers Anthony, Mercedes Lackey and Jennifer Roberson. I've actually done re-reads of Jennifer Roberson's Chronicles of the Cheysuli series. Knowing that reading a series can be a weeks or even months long commitment, that's saying a lot!
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

greywalker wrote: 03 Jan 2017, 19:39 Mercedes Lackey...though I don't uniformly love all of her books, just some of them.

Katherine Kurtz...everything she's written, definitely
I really enjoy Mercedes Lackey so will have to give Katherine Kurtz a look. Thanks!
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Bookgirleva wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 10:24 Marion Zimmer Bradley. Mist of Avalon was the first book I ever truly loved and when I was finished made me want to read more
I absolutely love that book! I could read it over and over again. Marion Zimmer Bradley is an icon of the genre, and she writes with such a strong voice.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I love Jim Butcher's Dresden Files novels. His character the wizard Harry Dresden is outstanding.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

J.k rowling, tolkien and my recent favourite lincoln cole.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I love Julie Czerneda! She is a lovely world-builder. She has an extensive biology background, and she uses her knowledge to both create and explain creatures, animals, and environments. She also writes in trilogies, which I love to read.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I enjoy reading the series of JK Rowling and Stephanie Garber.
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

This may sound so basic but JK Rowling is always my favorite fantasy world builder.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Tgoodkind
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tgoodkind »

All the books from Brandon Sanderson are amazing, the way he builds each world is so detailed and incredible. His best series are the way of kings and mistborn. Each series has every ingredient for a remarkable story and the way he inserts certain concepts like religion, honour and love is breathtaking. Kirsten Britain, Anne Bishop, Terry Goodkind, Seanan McGuire, Amy Harmon, Leigh Bardugo and Sarah J. Mass also create extraordinary stories and use their words with great skill. Leigh Bardugo’s vilain is the best one ever, you can’t quite decide if you want his demise or his redemption.
physaeyor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by physaeyor »

My favorite fantasy writer till date is still J k Rowling. Her work is simply amazing, The way she writes that makes you feel more drawn in into her story, the way she purposely edits the storyline in a a way that you won't know what will happen next.....Simply amazing

I'm also partial to Rick Riordan ( percy jackson) and George R.R Martin (Game of thrones), both are amazing in their own way and their books are really good
olivia_jones1008
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by olivia_jones1008 »

I agree 100%, She twists and boggles the mind leaving you grasping for what happens next. Her sense of creativity is amazing, she writes stories that I could only imagine. Her stories are truly creative and different while leaving great details describing anything and everything. She is my favorite author.

Return to “Discuss Authors”