Favorite fantasy writers

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Cassandra Zela
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Favorite fantasy writers

Post by Cassandra Zela »

J.K. Rowling

It may be a sad story but in the end it comes as a strong bomb good ending very energetic
r_bhavika
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Favorite Book: Slammed
Currently Reading: The Sun is Also a Star
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-bhavika.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by r_bhavika »

J.k Rowling and Jennifer L. Armentrout.
"The world was hers for the reading.” – Betty Smith :techie-studyinggray:
Sadie105
Currently Reading: Hawk of May
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Sadie105 »

Fantasy is really hit or miss with me. Example - when I was pretty young I was caught completely off guard by Karen Hancock's "Arena." Loved it. Yet when I tried some of her others I wasn't at all drawn in and I don't think I finished any of them. In all honesty I've been afraid to re-read "Arena" as an adult because I'm afraid the magic will have dissipated.
Englishteacher510
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Englishteacher510 »

Fantasy is, by far, my pleasure reading choice. I have read Tolkien from age four. Brooks and other writers in this genre would follow but I always go back to Tolkien; the grandfather of the modern genre as my standard. He was able to produce so much depth and meaning from one story. Others have tried to model his depth and magic; but although some have created some tremendous stories, none, in my view has managed to recreate his level of complexity and creativity. It truly was a great English Mythology.

Tolkien's middle realm would give birth to the legacy that is the modern fantasy that we now cling to in our popular culture. The great irony in modern literary circles and beyond is that most have not read a word of his actual text. Most know him through the visual interpretations and not the actual awe-inspiring genius that is his great imagination in language. Having read "The Hobbit" as a child and then again (and again) as an adult, and also the prequels and sequels that followed; I can hardly see how anyone who claims to love this genre can claim to be a true fan could say so without having read them. It is like saying you follow a particular faith without having read its basic holy scrolls. Practice what we preach would be a great edit when it comes to any form of criticism, especially in the realm of great literature.
Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Eteru »

Mine would be Tahereh Mafi. I'm still completely obsessed with her Shatter Me series.
TwiFox

Post by TwiFox »

I would have to say that my favorite fantasy writer is Mercedes Lackey. I remember my mother reading Arrows of the Queen to me when I was young and still learning to read. I fell in love with all of the books relating to Valdemar.
Allokai

Post by Allokai »

Mercedes Lackey, Brandon Sanderson, China Mieville, Storm Constantine, Patrick Rothfuss...probably others I'm forgetting! I also love urban fantasy, such as Charles de Lint and Neil Gaiman.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote: 26 Nov 2016, 21:28 Brandon Sanderson is one of my favorite fantasy authors. I posted these mini-reviews in a discussion about books by Brandon Sanderson. I have copied them below:

I would recommend reading Elantris if you want a shorter, self-contained story. You follow the travails of Roaden, a prince of his people, who is stricken with a mysterious disease that has blighted his people. He is thrown into the once powerful city of Elantris, where citizens stricken with the disease are now imprisoned. The story follows Roaden as he battles to overcome the illness and return Elantris to a city of power that it once was. Central to Roaden's struggle is his finding and interpreting Aons, symbols that gave Elantrians magical powers. Many of these Aons can be seen on Sanderson's website as jewelry available for purchase. This story is soulful and you find yourself cheering Roaden through his successes and sharing heartbreak during his failures. Overall, Elantris is well worth the journey!

Another recommendation is The Mistborn Trilogy. This trilogy is an amazing work of storytelling! With epic battle scenes, romance, and intrigue, not to mention, characters that you love and love to hate, you can't go wrong. With Kelsier, Vin, and Eland as protagonists and the Lord Ruler and the fantastical Steel Inquisitors with spikes for eyes as antagonists, the story is full of suspense, action, and Sanderson keeps readers guessing as the plot twists through this dark and compelling world. One aspect of the story that is extremely entertaining is the ability of characters to gain magical powers by manipulating metals. Vin, a Mistborn allomancer, gains power as she ingests metals and her body "burns" them releasing certain powers. Fantasy/science fiction at its finest!

Other great reads are The Way of Kings and Warbreaker.
I just started reading Brandon Sanderson :) I'm part of a sci-fi/fantasy book club and we're reading the first book in the Mistborn trilogy. I'm not very far, but I already love it and feel totally immersed in the world he created! His book, The Way of Kings, has been sitting on my shelf for awhile now, but I'm definitely going to start reading it as soon as I finish Mistborn!
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Fantasy is my favorite genre, so I have a lot of favorite authors :) Terry Brooks and Christopher Paolini are definitely high up on the list. I also love Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. I just started reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and I'm really enjoying that so far! I also love middle grade fantasy books and Cornelia Funke is my favorite author in that genre.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

J.R.R. Tolkein and J.K. Rowling . I love them both and read everything they have ever written. I discovered Tolkein's books very recently and was simply blown away.
Seeking_Adventure
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeking-adventure.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Seeking_Adventure »

Tolkien of course, I consider him the King Of Fantasy. Sarah J Maas used to be my second favourite, but I'm not so sure how I feel about her anymore :eusa-think:
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

There are a lot of such writers. Ursula Le Guin, Andre Norton, Tad Wiiliams, Andrew Shvarts, Kate Elliot, Andrzej Sapkowski, Patricia Anne McKillip and many others.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

Christopher Paolini of the Inheritance series (Eragon) which was a big favourite for me back in my younger years and George R.R. Martin of the A Song of Ice and Fire series which I haven't actually finished but like very much.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

J.R.R. Tolkein is the grandad of fantasy literature, and J.K. Rowling is the cool aunt for sure :)
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Watership Down by Richard Adams is my favorite.

I am not much into fantasy novels, but my niece (a grown woman) plopped it down on my desk one day and told me to read it. The last thing I wanted to read was a story that appeared to be best suited for children. I had it for about a year and decided to return it to her unread. She refused to accept it back till I read it. So, mostly to make her happy I read it. It turned out to be one of the most pleasant reading experiences of my life and to my amazement the last page and a half was so beautifully written that it had an almost shocking/numbing effect on me.

I'd strongly recommend it for people who love fantasy novels. This book is a self-contained epic in one volume.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Discuss Authors”