Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by Carolreads30 »

Martina_Reads wrote: 12 Aug 2016, 17:56 I'm really dating myself, but Marguerite Henry,who wrote Misty of Chincoteague and other similar works, opened up a wonderful world for me. I now live in Virginia and I plan to go for the Chincoteague Pony Swim,
These were the books that I finally was able to get my youngest daughter to read on her own. Her love for horses outweighed how much she hated reading. As I introduced her to these books, she discovered that all books are not boring or on topics that you don't care about.
Netvigator72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netvigator72.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Netvigator72 »

Enid Blyton with her famous five books.
Doris Manderscheid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Doris Manderscheid »

That would be Jack London without a doubt. Immersing myself in books that dealt with nature, as a youngster I happened upon Jack London and the rest is history. I believe I read most of his books, Call of the Wild being my absolute favorite.
The sea wolf is another piece of literature of his that describes someone so vividly it sends chills down my spine.
A great author that is very knowledgeable.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

For me it was Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist) and Enid Blyton (Secret Seven). I still like reading their books.
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

Enid Blyton and Carolyn Keene's books started it all for me. Basically when I was 11, the books available in the school library were the only ones to choose from and thankfully the series - Famous Five and Nancy Drew are amazing reads. Soon, Agatha Christie and J.K. Rowling happened and I haven't walked away from books since. ❤️
Vidya4u2c
Currently Reading: Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidya4u2c.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by Vidya4u2c »

Enid Blyton was the first to generate my love for reading especially series -Pink Whistle. The character cultivated an optimistic nature within me. Mr. and Mrs. Twiddle was another of my favorite characters. In retrospection, it could have been due to the fact that the book made me feel that mistakes were also a natural part of life's experiences. Great expectations by Charles Dickens and Green Days by the River written by Michael Anthony impacted greatly as well.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

I've loved reading basically since I was born. So I'll have to give credit to Lois Lenski, the author of my first favorite book: Cowboy Small/ :D
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

I don't remember a time that I didn't love reading. I started at the age of about three years, with Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman. Truthfully, though, that was only because the page numbers were written out, and that was the only part of the book that I "read".
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

There were two authors for me. Mark Twain sparked my love of reading first with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. The same year I read the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Both authors made me a reader for life. I read those books over and over again.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
Nama Winnie
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nama-winnie.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Nama Winnie »

i read Ngugi wa Thiongo's The River Between when I was around 10 years. I remember being told that it was not a storybook. I completed it, wowed everyone with the content I got from the book and i have never looked back.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

My very first recollection of a book I read was Goldilocks and the three bears. I don't know who wrote it.

I know mom used to bring us books from her school library even before that but it's this one that I remember.

20+ years latr, here I am
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

Nama Winnie wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 23:01 i read Ngugi wa Thiongo's The River Between when I was around 10 years. I remember being told that it was not a storybook. I completed it, wowed everyone with the content I got from the book and i have never looked back.
Which are your favourite works by this author? River Between is the most famous by him I think so o haven't really looked at other books by him.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

tgoatley wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 16:49 James Patterson books started my reading journey. I have loved all his books he has written.
I had forgotten about James Patterson. I really loved his books. There was a time I couln't have passed one of his
Nhitra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhitra.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nhitra »

It's Nguyen Du. People most likely don't know who he is because he is Vietnamese and I don't think any of his stories got translated into English but he is a genius. He is like the Shakespear of Vietnamese literature. He wrote these amazing collections of poems in both old Vietnamese and new Vietnamese (yes, we have old ones too) and you might think if he is so genius, why is none of his poems got translated to English. There is a good reason for it. His most famous work, name Truyen Kieu (the story of Kieu) can be interpreted in so many ways, even though he died so long ago people is still finding new interpretation to his work. I mean I'm just gonna go on and on about him if I'm allowed to but he just starts that fire in me and makes me see the artistry in the written word.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

It has to be The Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan. The story is about the struggle of a boy when he gets involved in the world of vampires. It introduced me to horror and gore.

Return to “Discuss Authors”