Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Millsamber
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millsamber.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by Millsamber »

For me it was Norton Juster. I read the Phantom Tollbooth when I was about 7 or 8 and just fell in love with the imagery and the way he brought words and phrases to life in different ways. I learned tons of new words that to this day I still use. I remember wishing I could taste the letters of the alphabet all the time. I also remember being afraid to jump to conclusions for weeks after reading it. It was an exciting adventure that is honestly still my favorite book today.
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

I was too active to read until I was around nine. Then, I met Emilie Baker Loring and fell in love with her story worlds. Soon after, I stole one of my mom's Phyllis Whitney books (psychological thriller) and discovered the joys of reading fiction for entertainment and education. From then on, I read anything I could get my hands on...as long as they were YA or adult! Childrens book never really held much appeal for me.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
kayjmalik

Post by kayjmalik »

I've been reading since I was about 5 years old, but who really got me into reading was J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter is still my favorite series and probably always will be.
wandavoy
Currently Reading: Athenticity:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by wandavoy »

The bug caught me in the early 70s as a preteen. I saw a friend reading The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. At first, I thought it was really long winded, but I stuck with it. I'm glad I did.
randomgirl23
Currently Reading: Jay's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by randomgirl23 »

I have always liked reading but after i read one of Sarah Dessen's books which are really teenage girly I realized that i really like realistic fiction and that got me back into reading.
kayerae
Currently Reading:

Post by kayerae »

I've been reading for as long as I can remember! I loved Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie, and even Babysitters Club. Then as I got older Stephen King really became my go to; but reading was always just a thing for me. My brother hated it until college and I loved it from practically birth.
bellesmom
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellesmom.html

Post by bellesmom »

I believe the author that probably started it for me was Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I was just a child and didn't know how emotionally invested you can become in reading until I read that. I've continued to love to read from then on.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

I've always loved to read, but the book from my childhood that stands out the most is Misty of Chincoteague by Margaret Henry. My mom read it to me at least once, and as soon as I was old enough I read it myself--and then I devoured every other book by Margaret Henry that I could get my hands on. My family even went to Chincoteague Island for vacation one summer. Margaret Henry combined my love of horses with my love of reading, and I've been an avid bookworm ever since.
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
jleecarlson
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleecarlson.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by jleecarlson »

I've loved reading since I was a little kid. The 2 that stand out for me are R.L. Stine (Goosebumps, Fear Street, etc.) and Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew). To this day I still gravitate to those same genres.
imabndt

Post by imabndt »

Mine was 2 authors, I believe I was in 7th grade on the bus coming back from a game and i was board. A friend turned around and handed me a book telling me to read it, It was a Nora Roberts Romance, to this day its on my bookshelf, i never gave it back!
Then in 9th grade i was in the school library and i came across Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause and she started me not just on fantasy but romance fantasy. I immedietly bought my own copy and have it on on my shelf right next to my Nora Roberts book!
Renee24
Currently Reading: The Heist
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee24.html

Post by Renee24 »

lol I'm not sure I can remember exactly, it has been many years. But I grew up reading Anne of Green Gables, Tales of Narnia, Laura Ingalls WIlder, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, etc. I was and always will be a geek. lol :techie-studyinggray:
jokersw1ld
Currently Reading: Moby Dick
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jokersw1ld »

Might sound cliche but Edgar Allan Poe was the start for me!
Loren-KoCam

Post by Loren-KoCam »

My mother taught me from a very young age to read for fun. The first "big" book I read was Matilda by Roald Dahl and it was enough to make me fall in love with reading. After that I just continued with more of his books and thought no other author could compare to him, thankfully I discovered The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo and loved it, from then on I've read a little bit of everything. One of my current favorite authors is John Green, I've read every one of his books several times and still cry every time.
BeaEscaran26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beaescaran26.html

Post by BeaEscaran26 »

For me it was JK Rowling. The way she wrote Harry Potter was exciting. When I read her work it made me want to discover more books that would give me the same feeling and it pushed me to want to learn more in terms of different themes in life. I just kept on reading after that.
KristiB42
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by KristiB42 »

I started reading at an early age. I still have an extensive collection of Little Golden Books and I remember and love Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. As I have gotten older, I like to read just about anything if it catches my eye. I love biographies/memoirs. I can't imagine not reading.

Return to “Discuss Authors”