Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Dr. Seuss is who got me started at a young age. I have been reading for as long as I can remember. Once I moved on to chapter books, it was R.L. Stine and Marguerite Henry.
mshogrider67
Favorite Book: The Haunting of Dove Cote house
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by mshogrider67 »

When I was about 12 I was given an old copy of Green Grass of Wyoming by Mary O'Hara. Ken was my first love. I went to the library and read all the other 2 books in the series as well. I have been reading every since.
sbcollins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sbcollins »

JK Rowling. She started it all when I was in elementary school, and now I'm an adult and have a tattoo of the three stars on each of the pages to honor the influence those books had on me.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I was always a reader as a kid, but the first book that really got me excited about reading more was The Outsiders by SE Hinton. After that I begged my mom to get me her other books from the bookstore. This also happened to be the beginning of my own mini library.
Nimrah Asad Khan
Favorite Book: Hunger Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Nimrah Asad Khan »

Sidney Sheldon for me. I've always been into mystery/thriller and one of my class mate suggested me to read his book. I so ended up reading his biography. That's how got into reading. Before that I liked reading but I was lost as to what book I should pick but now, I've a list of books I can't wait to get my hands on!
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

Ngugi wa Thiong'o a Kenyan author started it all for me form a love of local books to love of international books
Vg345
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vg345.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Vg345 »

Insomniac07 wrote: 09 Aug 2016, 00:51 For me, it was the Enid Blyton books like the famous five and the secret seven series. I loved and still enjoy reading those books.
Me too. I was ten, maybe when I started reading novels. The Mystery of the Secret Room was my first. The second I closed the book, I knew I had to read more.
Nmanchado2018
Favorite Author: Tami Hoag
Currently Reading: Secrets to the Grave
Bookshelf Size: 47
fav_author_id: 3744

Post by Nmanchado2018 »

OMG I loved that book. It was one of the first books I read. Then one day I was at work and bored and the only book that was there was "still waters" by Tami Hoag and I noticed she had the same writing style. So I'm hooked on these 2 Authors. "Breath of Scandal was what set me to a new reading environment.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I can't really remember but the first concrete memory I have of a book is Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson...I even took a picture with it.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Rick Riordian with Percy Jackson series, Stephenie Meyer with Twilight, JK Rowling with Harry Potter series, Jane Austen’s books my favorite Pride & Prejudice. The Magic tree house series & Dr. Suess in elementary, from this it sort of snow balled to the others but it felt like it was all of them. In sixth grade I read Go Ask Alice & A Child Called It both of which was when I thought was an important point in my life in which I thought books were valuable. Perfect Chemistry & Tuck Everlasting made me fall in love with romance books. It’s hard to choose one author for many gave me a love for reading for different reasons.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I started reading quite early and enjoyed stories like Cinderella, Jack and the beanstalk etc, without being aware of authors. However, when I bumped into Enid Blyton's Secret Seven, around age nine, I was hooked. I then proceeded to read anything by her - including series like Famous Five, Naughtiest girl, St Claires and Malory Towers. Made me a true bookworm!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Hans Christian Andersen, E.B. White, and Lewis Caroll

I love the classics. :)
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

As a small child, Enid Blyton - the first book I recall reading was from the Brer Rabbit series.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Mom reading me A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh. Reading on my own had to be Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat(Hi, CatInTheHat). Later, like many of us I see, Caroline Keene's Nancy Drew Series, starting with The Mystery at the Lilac Inn. Progressing to Agatha Christie's mystery series. There are many other books and authors I've read and loved, too many to list here though!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
CG1103
Currently Reading: The Clouds Still Hang
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cg1103.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by CG1103 »

For me, the author is Betsy Haynes. I was in 5th grade and she wrote "The Fabulous Five" series. I loved it. I couldn't get enough. I had tried reading Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley Twins but I just couldn't get into those books. I read The Fabulous Five from 5th grade through the 9th grade. I currently own every single book in the series. It's the one series that I can't part ways with. I would love to sit down and read every single book again. I just don't have the time. I can literally look at each of the books and recall which ones are my absolute favorite in the series, that I had read multiple times.

Return to “Discuss Authors”