Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
vickicook2010
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickicook2010.html

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by vickicook2010 »

Stephanie Myer.This may sound silly but as a pre teen who never read one summer I went to my grandmother's house for a week. She lives on a farm but being an only child at the time and if none of my cousins were around I became bored so my grandmother said "here read this, lots of girls your age are loving it right now and honestly I enjoyed it myself" twilight. Though the moves are cheesie and outrageous, the novels themselves are actually quit good. I haven't put books down since.
arpi05
Currently Reading: Looking for Alaska
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arpi05.html

Post by arpi05 »

For me it was John Green. Though I had read a lot of books earlier but, The Fault In Our Stars was the novel which made me fall in love with books. It means so much more to me than just being a regular romance YA fiction.
Dravyn98
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Dravyn98 »

Christopher Paolini.
nitebyrd44
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nitebyrd44.html
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras

Post by nitebyrd44 »

It was Beverly Cleary when I was a child. I loved all of her books and reread many of them to this day!
Latest Review: "Raw Food Diet For Beginners" by Ross Contreras
Nomis_Reads
Currently Reading: Snatchers: Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomis-reads.html

Post by Nomis_Reads »

For me, I guess it's a tie between Madeline L'Engle (Time Quintet), J.R.R. Tolkien(Hobbit, Lord of the Rings), and Lloyd Alexander (Chronicles of Prydain). This started my life-long love of fantasy/sci-fi.
Iris2992
Currently Reading: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris2992.html

Post by Iris2992 »

It was Enid Blyton for me ! My mum had gifted me a secret seven on Christmas when I was in 7th grade. I used to hate reading back then but this book changed me from a book hater to a book worm ! Now I read everyday and I am thankful to Enid for introducing me to this beautiful world of fiction reading !
jblankenship

Post by jblankenship »

Stephenie Meyers Twilight Saga
con525
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-con525.html

Post by con525 »

Without a doubt, it was E. B. White with the book, "Charlotte's Web''. I remember being in first grade and devouring the book! That's when I fell in love with reading and the magical word books could transport you to.
Wanda Harris

Post by Wanda Harris »

When I think about the books that I could not put down as a child, I would have to say I blame Harriet Adams (aka, Carolyn Keene), for my mother yelling at me to turn the lights out & go to sleep. Nancy Drew hooked me from a young age, I couldn't get enough. Thank you Edward Stratemeyer!
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

I have been reading since I started learning to read at school. The first book that I began reading was Elves and the Shoemaker written by Grimm Brothers. Then I further fell in love with reading when I across Famous Five and Secret Seven series by Enid Blyton.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Margoth90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-margoth90.html

Post by Margoth90 »

It wasn't so much a particular author that got me started, I have been reading as long as I can remember. The Saddle Club and Thoroughbred book series by Joanna Campbell were my favorites!
Jillybean529
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillybean529.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Jillybean529 »

Hello All!

I am brand new to Onlinebookclub, and I'm very excited to be part of this community. I was never very interested in reading until my 16th Birthday when my sister gifted me Nora Roberts' Chesapeake Bay Trilogy. I'm not sure whether it was my adolescent mind, or my newfound love of heartfelt storytelling or imagination that got me hooked.....but I have been an avid reader and connoisseur of romance novels ever since. Nora Roberts opened the door and paved the way for my love of reading. Throughout these past 13 or so years of reading, I have been drawn to authors like Mary Balogh and Catherine Anderson... and there are so many more authors where that came from! I look forward to exploring different authors on Onlinebookclub as well. If you have any recommendations or comments for me, please let me know! I would love to hear from anyone who has similar interests.

Happy Reading! :D

Jillian
Last edited by Jillybean529 on 24 Aug 2016, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
paulaeddy64

Post by paulaeddy64 »

For me it was Andre Norton. I have been an avid reader since I was eight years old. Andre Norton would probably be categorized as a fantasy writer by today's standards. She created universes based on the use of magic as well as space exploration and alien planets. To an eight year old with a vivid imagination, this was the best candy in the world. I read all her books and still have some of her PowerBooks in my library. Of course, now that I am 70, my tastes in reading have changed, but I still enjoy a good fantasy novel now and then. The body may be old and unfortunately crippled by arthritis, but my mind can escape with a good book.
ameno8907
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameno8907.html

Post by ameno8907 »

I have always loved to read, even as a little kid. As I got old enough to pick my own books (elementary age) I had a hard time finding the types of books that kept my interest. Finally in about 4th grade I read Urchin of the Riding Stars by M. I. McAllister and fell in love with books that are a little darker and have a big fantasy feel to them.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Like many on here I can't really remember a time when I didn't read, but the author that got me hooked on my favourite genre of books was the late great James Herbert with ' The Rats'.

Return to “Discuss Authors”