Which author started it all for you?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Which author started it all for you?

Post by EricaWilson »

Gordan Korman was my favorite author in middle school, and was what really got me hooked on mystery stories with teen leads.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

It may be cliche at this point, but J.K. Rowling started it all for me. I read sporadically before Hary Potter, mainly some Goosebumps. Then I had a teacher call me Hermione and I had to make sure I wasn't being insulted so I told my mom I needed those books. She picked up a paperback of the first novel at her work, the third installment was out by then, I devoured it, insisted on getting the others, and now have an occasionally expensive reading habit.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

For me, it was the collective pseudonym of ghostwriters named Carolyn Keene, who created the young sleuth girl called Nancy Drew. Those books kept me happy throughout the years.

Crediblereading2
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

For me it was J. K. Rowling for the harry potter series. I just cannot get over this book.
Elle-J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Elle-J »

I started reading when I was in high school i think, i was really into mythology and my mother has a copy of Edith Hamilton's old version of mythology then i started reading the harry potter series
Rebeccareyna98
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rebeccareyna98 »

The author that started it for me in 2014 was Ilsa Bick, her books were the best I've ever read. She really gets you to think about the plot, try to figure it all out before it ends, but then there always is a crazy plot twist. She writes about otherworldly stuff, you should check her out :)
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

That would be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his book "The Hound of the Baskervilles". Even though I was born in the 90s and took part of the whole Harry Potter phenomenon, it wasn't until I read that book that I knew I liked reading so much.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

For getting me into the fantasy genre it was probably Christopher Paolini. Once I read Eragon, I wanted to read more 'out of this world books'.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

Oh my goodness. When I was about eight years old, my dad read me The Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene. I already loved books, but that got me obsessed with mystery, and I started reading all the time.
judithgoins-51
Favorite Book: What's College About Anyway?
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by judithgoins-51 »

I would have to say Danielle Steele started it all for me. I read all my life, but I never noticed the authors until I started reading her books. I guess it was probably the tragedy in her stories.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

J.K. Rowling ignited a fire of wanting to read within me that I did not understand before. Reading was always forced and usually not interesting to me growing up. Once reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone I was hooked. I read nearly every book in the series. I started reading the books before seeing the movies, then later decided to switch that up. The books were so much better than the movies that reading it before seeing it, made the films actually disappointing to see. I have since spanned across different authors and genres with ease and enjoyment.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mnmueller »

When I was young, we would take twelve hour plus car trips to see my father's family at least once a year. I have two brothers and a sister, so the four us were handful. To keep us entertained, my mother would read stories for as much of the trip as she could. Her favorite stories to read were mysteries, so we grew up listening to The Hardy Boys by Edward Stratemeyer and Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene.

Eventually, I started reading on my own. I think the first author who really captured my attention was J.R.R. Tolkien, although it could have been Anne McCaffery. I read the first Dragonriders of Pern trilogy at about the same time as I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

The first book I read on my own at six years old was the first Harry Potter book, so JK Rowling has a special place in my heart, despite my increasing disagreements with her post-canon comments on the series.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

For me it was Jackie Collins back in my high school days we used to exchange novels all the time with neighbours and and sometimes classmates. The good ol days...
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

Dr. Suess. My mom started reading his books to me very early and by the time I was in kindergarten, I was starting to read them for myself. Mom loved reading and passed that love to me.

Return to “Discuss Authors”