Chuck Palahniuk: love him or hate him?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
SeekaSue
Currently Reading: Lotus Blood
Bookshelf Size: 0

Chuck Palahniuk: love him or hate him?

Post by SeekaSue »

Am I the only one that finds Chuck Palahniuk terribly annoying since all of his success? I felt like after Haunted I began to lose interest in him. All of his self promotion and money schemes reeks of arrogance and greed to me. I no longer have Facebook but when I did I followed him and it was a mistake...I lost my patience with him. It also didn't help how rude he was when I met him in person. He had an air of "I'm too good to talk to you". Ego is extremely unattractive to me, especially on people who would be no one if it weren't for fans. All of this Fight Club spin off stuff...is NOT necessary and quite frankly has ruined the original book for me. Isn't kind of hypocritical to the purpose of the book in the first place? Okay...rant over :?
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I don't follow him closely so i don't really know about his personality, but i heard good things about his books over the years. I read 'Choke' awhile back and i remember i loved it.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Crystal P
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystal-p.html

Post by Crystal P »

I like how fearlessly he probes the dark areas of human existence, but at the same time, I tend to feel a little uncomfortable when I read some of his stuff. If the measure of a writer's skill is if they can make you feels something, then he is a fairly good writer.

-- 03 Aug 2016, 13:36 --

I like how fearlessly he probes the dark areas of human existence, but at the same time, I tend to feel a little uncomfortable when I read some of his stuff. If the measure of a writer's skill is if they can make you feels something, then he is a fairly good writer.
waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

Hate, but a little
AK413
Currently Reading: Circling the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak413.html

Post by AK413 »

I don't know if love is the right word? Maybe something more like captivated by him? I can't wait to see what he comes up with next, and since I can't even comprehend where his thoughts are coming from it makes it a nice change from the usual predictable story line and ending. I don't hesitate to buy when he has a new book, but have never recommended or lent out any of them. Maybe it's partially that I don't know if he's everyone cup of tea, and partially that the books you recommend speak volumes about you, but I think the major part of reason is that there are so many other reads that I 'love' to recommend over Palahnuik.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I don't follow him on Facebook or read anything about his personal life, so I can't say if he is annoying or not.

As far as his work is concerned, I recently read Invisible Monsters: Remix and really liked it: the story, the style, the characters. Now I want to read more of his works, specifically Haunted, Guts, and Beautiful You.

Return to “Discuss Authors”