Satire/Terry Pratchett

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
therewaseden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Satire/Terry Pratchett

Post by therewaseden »

So I finished "The Color of Magic" and would love it if someone else who has read his work wanted to discuss - his characters are fascinating but I am having a hard time drawing paralells to our world and theirs, with a few obvious exceptions. Does anyone know his work, or have opinion on satire?
william309

Post by william309 »

I loved the color of magic, and I think his stuff has gotten broader over the years. Discworld was originally just a spoof on specific fantasy tropes, but it gradually grew to focus on modern life in general.
thischarmingmanc

Post by thischarmingmanc »

I just find him a very smug writer
william309 wrote:I loved the color of magic, and I think his stuff has gotten broader over the years. Discworld was originally just a spoof on specific fantasy tropes, but it gradually grew to focus on modern life in general.
william309

Post by william309 »

He can be a bit condescending, especially when he's trying to grind an axe really hard, like in "Monstrous Regiment." But he can also be really interesting.
thischarmingmanc

Post by thischarmingmanc »

but he knows he is being interesting and he doesnt care if you know he knows :)

I just find that irritating.
kiwimeg

Post by kiwimeg »

I love Terry Pratchett's writing. Its clever, insightful and funny as hell!

His characters and the dicsworld have developed and fleshed out over time and seem to have taken on a life of their own. Its interesting reading his earlier books and comparing the characters to their more evolved selves in later writings.

I love the way Pratchett's books take the mickey out of societal norms, economic theory, current events, the British class system, racism, government . . . Its very British!

'Small Gods' and 'Jingo' would have to be my favourite books of his. And while Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are fantastic, I have to say I prefer the books that involve Commander Vimes and The Watch.

I find I am often explaining Vimes theory of why the poor stay poor and the rich stay rich to other people: The poor are poor because they can only afford to buy cheap shoes, which are poor quality and don't last. So over their lifetime they buy many pairs of shoes and spend much more than the rich folk who buy expensive shoes that last a lifetime.

:D
Meg
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

kiwimeg wrote: 'Small Gods' and 'Jingo' would have to be my favourite books of his. And while Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are fantastic, I have to say I prefer the books that involve Commander Vimes and The Watch.
:D
Meg
You've mentioned my two favourite characters - Granny Weatherwax and Sam Vimes. We named our son after Commander Vimes, though stopped short of calling our daugher 'Esmerelda'.

They're both such wonderful examples of morality. Real genuine morality, not 'TV evangelist' fake, dogooder nonsense. They're both people who feel the pull to the dark side, but carefully, rationally and with some regret, do what's right, whatever the cost. If they occasionally do the wrong thing, they feel incredibly bad about it and have to put it right.

Also, I connect with Sam Vimes in the way he feels like a fish out of water almost all the time and feels he'll get 'found out' one day for not being up to the job.

"Thud" brought tears to my eyes regarding the responsibilities of fatherhood.

I could go on (and on and on and on). I've enjoyed all the Discworld series, obviously some aren't as good as others, but each one is certainly worth reading. Really looking forward to getting the new Football one - any day now - because I really hate football and I'm sure he'll point out the stupidity of it.
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

In fact, have now read it, mostly good, not one of his absolute best, but good enough.

Does anyone know of any other Authors that I might like based on my love of Discworld? I've read a few Robert Rankin ones, but got bored with them now.
ChrisSamsDad

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

Now reading the 'Science of Discworld' series - really really good, some hard science explained really well, as well as an ongoing story involving the entire cast of wizards of UU.

Really un-put-downable.
Moe

Post by Moe »

The only book I've read by him is co-authored with Neil Gaiman - Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990). It is kind of a parody of 'The Omen'.

Loved it! It is absolutely hilarious. I also loved American Gods by Neil Gaiman, probably one of my favorite books of all time.
szaloona.wroona

Post by szaloona.wroona »

I love the Discoworld series ;) Especially Death or maybe i should say DEATH (respect ;))
However Pratchett`s sense of humor is great for me but his books touch upon very important questions such as politic, war, religion fame desire etc and by all this funny jokes i think it is easier to show what should be really important in our life.
I always roar with laughter when i read pratchetts books. I usually read them in tram when i go to university and people used to look on me like on crazy ;) I love books about guards and DEATH especially but nanny Ogg and her gang is awesome too ;)
Furthermore Pratchett is a very tough case for every translator and im so happy that we have such great translation into polish. i think that bad translation could destroy all joy of reading Pratchett`s book.
P.S. Sorry for my English ;)
Priya12345
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya12345.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Priya12345 »

I find the mix of the ridiculous and the profound appeals to me. The stories themselves are what are - some appeal, some less so... But the characters are so well drawn, they're so relatable, I find myself rooting for them even in the most ridiculous situations.
I recently read 'date night at union station' which had a nice humorous view of sci fix, if anyone was looking for a similar lighter vein of escapism.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I think that Pratchett is an important author, and I absolutely appreciate the way he uses humor to slip serious messages into his books. I read people's reasons for liking him and what THEY see in his books, and I definitely see him as somebody who did good in the world.

But

The narration is so *loud,* so *present,* I read two paragraphs, get overstimulated and have to take a break.

I love Good Omens, where Gaiman's influence toned him down some, but it took me forever to get through Reaper Man, and I've never gotten more than a few pages into Small Gods.

I've given up trying to read him. I remain a sideline fan.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

If you enjoy Pratchett, have you tried Robert Asprin? His MYTH series and Phule's Company series are laugh-out-loud funny.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

CaitlynLynch wrote:If you enjoy Pratchett, have you tried Robert Asprin? His MYTH series and Phule's Company series are laugh-out-loud funny.
It looks like my library has books from both series! Do you have a recommendation on which to start with?
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Discuss Authors”