Favorite short story author

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
gracedellis_
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 2

Favorite short story author

Post by gracedellis_ »

For a long time, I had a strong dislike for short stories. I much prefer novels or series, and always wondered what the appeal of short stories was. A few years ago, though, my dad gave me a collection of short stories by Alice Munro, called Dear Life. Each story is focused around a climax, but rather than finishing on a certain resolve, each story ends at the height of the moment. Dear Life was the collection that helped me love short stories, and reaffirmed for me the idea that if you don't like reading, it's because you're not reading the right things.

What are your favorite short stories?
Jo90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jo90 »

I love short stories, but mainly collections of various authors. Although I have got a book of Roald Dahl short stories that I go back to again and again.
But you're right about reading the right ones, I didn't 'get' short stories for a long time and saw them as a poor relation of the novel, but I now appreciate the skill that goes into writing one.
jenmiller516
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 154

Post by jenmiller516 »

I love Alice Munro and Shirley Jackson. I don't remember who wrote it, but A Good Man Is Hard To Find really made an impression on me as a high school junior. I reread it the other day and loved it even more than I did then. I also loved I Want A Wife. It made me appreciate all the things we took for granted growing up.
Sasha For
Currently Reading: The Haunted Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-for.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sasha For »

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories have to be my all time favorites.
herc_72
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=7309">On the Road</a>
Currently Reading: The $100 Startup
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by herc_72 »

Anton Chekhov is one of the best short story authors of all time :
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Sasha For wrote:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short stories have to be my all time favorites.
I'd have to agree with Sasha For. Doyle is the only writer whose entire canon of short stories I have read several times.

Another of my favorites is Saki (H.H.Munro)
Here's a very short sample if you'd like to try him out for yourself.
eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/O ... eWin.shtml
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
wandavoy
Currently Reading: Athenticity:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by wandavoy »

I like Isaac Asimov, with his I, Robot series of short stories
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

Roald Dahl was the first writer to get me into this genre. Some of my other favourite short story writers include Ray Bradbury, Neil Gaiman and Ursula le Guin. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is pretty awesome as well. I love reading short stories, but I usually read them as collections, so I'm ashamed to say that the writer's name doesn't always stick in my head.

I recently completed such a fascinating collection of short stories called 'Kissing the Witch' by Emma Donoghue - familiar fairy tales linked together and rewritten from a queer feminist position. I read the whole thing in a sitting and it left me with shivers down my spine.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
Iris2992
Currently Reading: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear"
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris2992.html

Post by Iris2992 »

I love short stories written by Ruskin Bond.
Jseegs87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jseegs87.html

Post by Jseegs87 »

Jo90 wrote:?.. I have got a book of Roald Dahl short stories that I go back to again and again.
This is exactly who I was thinking of. Loved his children's stories growing up. He definitely has some great (and dark) adult shorts.
David_Fields
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-fields.html

Post by David_Fields »

Alice Munro, without a doubt.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

HP Lovecraft's short stories are the best for me, and he inspires me in my own writing of my horror fiction. Also Edgar A. Poe is good, as I have enjoyed every single one of his creepy stories.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

Nathaniel Hawthorne. I had to read several of his stories in school long ago, Young Goodman Brown, The Minister's Black Veil, and The May-Pole of Merry Mount. Those three stories have haunted me ever since. Truly, once I read them, I could never forget them.

Poe. Hop Frog, The Cask of Amontillado, The Mask of the Red Death, The Pit and the Pendulum...enough said. Did anyone NOT have to read those in school? And creepy is not the word for them. They stick with you.
UnicornEmily

Post by UnicornEmily »

Right now, I'm really partial to Eric James Stone.
3c_robles

Post by 3c_robles »

Richard Matheson, who wrote "Born of Man and Woman," among many others, is an unsung hero of short fiction. A lot of his stories have been made into movies, so you probably know him, even if you don't.

Return to “Discuss Authors”