Roald Dahl

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Nichol
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Roald Dahl

Post by Nichol »

Matilda, hands down
dprice811
Currently Reading: Night and the Cat
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dprice811.html
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi

Post by dprice811 »

My favorite was The BFG, which my mom read aloud to us. I re-read that book so many times it is falling apart! I have to say, the bloodthirsty giants always scared me. But I loved the BFG and related to little Sophie. Another favorite that my parents read to us was Dirty Beasts, full of bizarre poems about animals that ate people or got even with them in some way. I've thought since then that those were probably a strange choice for bedtime stories... I still plan to read them to my child. Just maybe during the day:)
Latest Review: "The Rise of the Superhero" by Rasa Samimi
natalieschmigle
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalieschmigle.html

Post by natalieschmigle »

Matilda was always my favorite! Although I can't relate to her magical powers, something about her seems so relatable.
Oli220

Post by Oli220 »

My siblings and I enjoy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's a classic (as are many of his other works:), but still, the raw imagination, the simple fun. It's a great book.
MJ99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mj99.html

Post by MJ99 »

I have so many happy childhood memories that revolve around reading Roald Dahl books. James and the giant peach, the BFG and Matilda are my favourites. I can't wait to read them again with my son!
Sasha For
Currently Reading: The Haunted Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-for.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sasha For »

While I love all of Roald Dahl's books, in fact even though I do not have any children I am looking to buy his entire book collection, however my favorite of his has to be "The Witches". While all of his books are fun and definitely entertaining "The Witches" is the one that has stuck with me through the years.

Sasha
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a for sure favorite of mine!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

The Witches is the first Roald Dahl book I ever read and it remains my favourite, though Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a close second. Also, his adult short story Lamb to the Slaughter is definitely worth a read (or two. Just reread it 12 times)
My weekend is all booked!
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

fari30 wrote:The Witches is the first Roald Dahl book I ever read and it remains my favourite, though Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a close second. Also, his adult short story Lamb to the Slaughter is definitely worth a read (or two. Just reread it 12 times)
I really need to read his adult stuff! I'm ashamed I haven't yet :oops:
abbiebann
Currently Reading: Girl, Interrupted
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiebann.html

Post by abbiebann »

When I was younger I would read "Esio Trot" repeatedly until I won a collection of his books in a competition at my local library but I couldn't possibly pick a favourite because he has such a range of writing. I really enjoyed studying "Lamb to the Slaughter" and his biographies, especially "Boy". If I were to have children they would be raised on his stories (but not left to books like in "Matilda")!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

When I was in elementary school, my friend got me The Witches for my birthday. To this day, this is still one of my favorite books. I remember watching the movie, and noticing how drastically different the movie ending and the book endings were. I actually liked the movie ending better because the book ending was just way too sad to me. But it's still a great book and one of my favorites.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

The Twits, The Witches, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Fantastic Mr. Fox to name a few. I seriously could not get enough of Roald Dahl as a kid. :lol2:
Midnightnox
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightnox.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Midnightnox »

The Witches is my favourite for sure. My Grandfather once sat at a bar in a restaurant, he had forgotten his glasses so asked the person next to him if he could borrow theirs. Turns out the owner of those glasses was Roald Dahl!
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Matilda will always be my favorite. Such an amazing story. I find myself still watching the movie on television whenever I happen to come across it playing. The characters are just superb.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

The BFG was my favorite. I read that book so many times. I also loved Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes.

Return to “Discuss Authors”