Roald Dahl

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Re: Roald Dahl

Post by Northernbird84 »

I have the box set of Roald Dahls Childrens books. I have reread them many times and am hoping that my own children will enjoy them when I have them.

My favourite ever short story is by Roald Dahl, it's an adult story called Lamb to the Slaughter and I still love it almost 20 years after first reading it in school
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
LiterateSloth1
Currently Reading: Father Elijah
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by LiterateSloth1 »

Roald Dahl is phenomenal! I love his compilation of ghost stories called _Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories_, I think his adult fiction is also really nice, especially _Umbrella Man_. As far as his children's books, there are few better than _The Witches_, _James and the Giant Peach_, _Danny the Champion of the World_, and _Matilda_.

Has anyone else read _The Storyteller_? The biography of Dahl's life? It's also a spectacular read.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

My parents gave me a hardback collection of Roald Dahls stories which included 'The Magic Finger, 'James and the Giant Peach', 'Fantastic Mr. Fox', 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' and 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator'. Much of my childhood was spent re-reading all of those stories, then I discovered 'Matilda', 'The Witches', 'The Twits' and even the poetry collection 'Revolting Rhymes'.

I was not aware that Roald Dahl had written fiction for older readers until I read an extract from the short story 'Royal Jelly' and that is when I knew that he was a master storyteller. I still recall lines and lessons from each of his stories, and it was 'Matilda', the reader of books, who truly sparked my imagination to read.

He is truly one of the greats and his life story is even more fascinating.
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

I enjoyed reading Roald Dahl growing up. I remember reading Matilda, The Witches and James and the Giant Peach. I did not enjoy the movies adapted from his stories as screenplay could not truly encompass the melody of Dahl's written word.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I read a great biography on Roald Dahl, "Storyteller: The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl". It is is fascinating that he was a fighter pilot and British spy during the war. He worked with Ian Fleming and actually wrote the screen play for "You Only Live Twice". Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is his best book.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

Taylor Razzani wrote: 26 Mar 2016, 08:13 Since The BFG is coming to theaters soon I've been wanting to dive back into Mr. Dahl's books. What are some of your favorites? My all time favorite was The Witches, I couldn't get enough of that one.
I agree! The Witches was definitely my favourite. I remember sitting on the floor at primary school and the teacher would read one chapter at the end of the day. I couldn’t wait for that time to come!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I have only read the bfg and that was outstanding👌
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I loved Mathilda so much as a young girl!!! Really all of his books were so touching and perfect to introduce a young reader to how awesome books are
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
FaeWitch
Currently Reading: Daughter of the Blood
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by FaeWitch »

I've read Matilda probably dozens of times in my life. It's just such an enchanting book, it's a story I go back to whenever I feel down and need a bit of nostalgia and comfort. I love Roald Dahl's other works (and now thanks to this thread I know he wrote ghost stories, so I definitely need to give those a read) but Matilda stands out as my absolute favorite. It's something about the writing, the characters, the relatability and the timelessness that gets me. But most of all it's the way he talks about books, and about Matilda's voracious reading habits. Growing up mostly alone and surrounded by books it resonated with me so much, and even now I can't help but see a little bit of myself in that little girl, traveling the world while sitting all alone in her bedroom in a little English village.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love Roald Dahl’s books, so much so that I still have and reread occasionally the huge collection I have downstairs. However, I have starting reading some of his early works that were for adults and they are really thrilling and well written too.
ljfricker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljfricker.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by ljfricker »

As a child, I had The Twits on tape and used to listen to it over and over because I found it hilarious! These days, I'd probably prefer to re-read The Witches. I'm currently pregnant with twins, and I'm hoping they become Roald Dahl fans so I get to read them all his wonderful books in a few years.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Roald Dahl is coming to Netflix now! They just purchased the rights to turn many of his books into a series. I am hoping there will be a book every few episodes, or maybe do a seasonal set up. I can't wait till they release more info on it.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I also really loved The Witches when I was younger. Even though I can't remember much of the plot or characters, I know it was an absolute delight.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Taylor Razzani wrote: 26 Mar 2016, 08:13 Since The BFG is coming to theaters soon I've been wanting to dive back into Mr. Dahl's books. What are some of your favorites? My all time favorite was The Witches, I couldn't get enough of that one.
Oh, I loved The Witches too! My husbands favorite Roald Dahl is Danny the Champion of the World. We’ve read it to our kids over and over. Mr Dahl was a real genius.
VAwkOb12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by VAwkOb12 »

My all time fav must be charlie and the chocolate factory. Every time i think of this book i just smile and i have sweet images of what charlie and his Family look like. Just Magic guys. This book had me at hello hello hello!

Return to “Discuss Authors”