Joseph Conrad

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Tris_Nook
Currently Reading: The Sin Eater's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 58

Joseph Conrad

Post by Tris_Nook »

Any Joseph Conrad fans? What is your favorite Conrad book? My favorite is Heart of Darkness, I read it back in high school and I loved it. It's been a while though.
Breeray129
Currently Reading: Vicious
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breeray129.html

Post by Breeray129 »

I've never heard of him. What's that book about?
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I've only read 'The Heart of Darkness' and I enjoyed that a lot. Kurtz's final words are harrowing: what exactly is "the horror!"? It has a lot of appeal to postcolonial critics and many of them suggest that it's colonialism that's horrific, but it's such an ambiguous phrase that it stuck with me regardless of its associations. I also have 'The Secret Agent', which I will eventually read.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

The Duel by Conrad is a great book IMO. I have The Secret Agent & Heart of Darkness in my collection, but have yet to read them. I tentatively started H of D once, but couldn't get interested. I'll try it again sometime.......
Wreade1872
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wreade1872 »

I've only read Heart of Darkness but i thought it was quite beautiful and certainly nothing like i was expecting. I love the way he created this practically imaginary world inside the protagonist's head which was probably quite different from what was really happening.
It reminded me a bit of The Castle by Kafka.
Blubea

Post by Blubea »

I just started Heart of Darkness and I love it. It has been criticised as being racist, but I think Conrad was actually trying to show "the horror" of Africa and was, in a way, showing his experience there. He also constantly seems to be against the treatment of the natives, not for it, so I don't think it's racist.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

ryanj1 wrote:I've only read 'The Heart of Darkness' and I enjoyed that a lot. Kurtz's final words are harrowing: what exactly is "the horror!"? It has a lot of appeal to postcolonial critics and many of them suggest that it's colonialism that's horrific, but it's such an ambiguous phrase that it stuck with me regardless of its associations. I also have 'The Secret Agent', which I will eventually read.
@ryanj1 - I can think of three instances off the top of my head where characters of novels experienced a transitional death bed epiphany: Adam's forgiveness of Cal in East Of Eden, Denathor recognizes Faramir in Lord Of the Rings: Return Of The King and Don Quixote realizing, and repenting, that he had gone out of his mind and thought himself a knight.

I think Kurtz's last words, "The horror!", were just such an epiphany. I think in his final moment before death he understood the thinness of the veil that separates man from his base and primal animal nature for he had experienced it himself. Much like "Rosebud" his final words were a summation. For Charles Foster Kane it was the realization of the innocence that had been lost when the natural path of his destiny had been diverted, and for Kurtz it was the realization that he had crossed the threshold which separates us from our animal nature and had looked the beast in the eye.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:
ryanj1 wrote:I've only read 'The Heart of Darkness' and I enjoyed that a lot. Kurtz's final words are harrowing: what exactly is "the horror!"? It has a lot of appeal to postcolonial critics and many of them suggest that it's colonialism that's horrific, but it's such an ambiguous phrase that it stuck with me regardless of its associations. I also have 'The Secret Agent', which I will eventually read.
@ryanj1 - I can think of three instances off the top of my head where characters of novels experienced a transitional death bed epiphany: Adam's forgiveness of Cal in East Of Eden, Denathor recognizes Faramir in Lord Of the Rings: Return Of The King and Don Quixote realizing, and repenting, that he had gone out of his mind and thought himself a knight.

I think Kurtz's last words, "The horror!", were just such an epiphany. I think in his final moment before death he understood the thinness of the veil that separates man from his base and primal animal nature for he had experienced it himself. Much like "Rosebud" his final words were a summation. For Charles Foster Kane it was the realization of the innocence that had been lost when the natural path of his destiny had been diverted, and for Kurtz it was the realization that he had crossed the threshold which separates us from our animal nature and had looked the beast in the eye.
:text-yeahthat:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
pratap_km
Currently Reading: London
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratap-km.html

Post by pratap_km »

Lord Jim is also a good read.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I don't know much about him, but I know he told a lot of single stories about early Africa and I'm not a fan. And I've had Heart of Darkness long before I ever knew there was something like a single story, but I just couldn't read it. It bored me, maybe cause I was a child; but very few books bored me as a child.
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

I've read Heart Of Darkness, Lord Jim & Nostromo (my favourite) and enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. I do find that Conrad is unnecessarily wordy in a lot of his work, however, and when you find out that English was his second language (he was of course Polish) it makes you wonder. Was he just showing off?
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
mastrobuono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mastrobuono.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by mastrobuono »

Lord Jim, by Joseph Conrad, is one of the world's enduring classics. It is a novel with a profound message and should be read by anyone who loves fascinating adventure stories.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I read it when I was in College and I thought it was okay. However, his one-dimensional projection of the natives did not go down well with me.
haveGood

Post by haveGood »

In my opinion, Heart of Darkness is pretty low in his catalog, so it's kind of sad that that's all most people here read (don't get me wrong, HoD is great and a classic). Nostromo, Lord Jim, The Secret Agent, and ****** of the Narcissus (please don't be put off by the title. The book is not racist, it's really good but unfortunately titled) are all worth reading, and I'd call the first two I listed all-time greats. His prose is beautiful, and I like to just open up my copies of his work and read random passages for the quality of the writing.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I don't think I would consider myself a full-blown "fan," but I have read Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim. Of the two, I really preferred Lord Jim. Conrad's characters are so complex! I love that.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Discuss Authors”