J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Re: J.K. Rowling or Rick Riordan?

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

To hsimone: Thanks! Yeah, I'm really sensitive to angst. HA HA! It kinda brings me down to read about multiple problems, some of the time (with certain types of books).

To RJ: Wow, thanks for that info! I often wondered if something like that were the case. It was just way too depressing for me to progress, but I may reconsider that now! Well, that gives more credence to the author, that the series doesn't remain dismal. If I get back into that first book, I'll post back!! I have to admit that I'm more impressed with Riordian now that I know he took all those issues and made them strengths!! I admire that!
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Like I said in my previous post in this thread: I think that the start of the whole series is a little rough, but I enjoyed it more and more as I went on. As with all books, however, there are some sad parts and challenges that are faced, but in all I have enjoyed it. I hope you revisit it and don't feel disappointed if you do!
Journey beyond the jacket.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Did you get a new signature line? Awesome!! And the matching pink!! :-)
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Haha yeah. I did some playing on my profile and added some info. :)
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Woo hoo!
ashlyn1320
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ashlyn1320 »

J.K. Rowling's and Rick Riordan's writing is so different I have a hard time comparing them. I'm a fan of both "Percy Jackson" and "Harry Potter" for different reasons. For example Harry Potter is more serious and inspiring whereas Percy Jackson is more funny, and will give you a good laugh. Rick Riordan and J.K Rowling are both amazing writers in their own way! :D
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

This is a hard one! I love both the authors in different ways. J.K. Rowling made me fall in love with the story at once and I was stuck in the action pack story between wizards and muggles, and magic spells. Rick Riordan I also fell in love with instantly. I loved the characters at once and had to read the whole stories. I love Greek Mythology, so I would have to say that my favorite author is Rick Riordan. :)
Marni Edmonds
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marni-edmonds.html

Post by Marni Edmonds »

Personally, J.K. Rowling has a very special place in my life. Her work has built my character and my personality to what it is today. I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, but I feel like J.K. Rowling is more recognised among not-so-avid readers for a reason. When it comes down to it, I would pick Jo any day.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Honestly, I like them both. However, I only got to read 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' so I guess I wouldn't be able to give a fair comparison since I read all the Harry Potter books. When Rowling wrote Harry Potter, she created something really big, and I'm not just talking about Hogwarts. What impressed me most was the incantations. Though I recognized some with Latin roots, I believe it took her so much time to research on those. Riordan proved how imaginative he is when he modernized the Greek myth. I know he put so much time studying mythology and even more when he modified it. I would still go for JK Rowling.
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

If you think the incantations are impressive, look into just about every aspect of that series. There are hidden references and relations. Look at the numbers used throughout. Most of the character names come from real people. For example, Nicolas Flamel was a real person that lived back in the 1300's-1400's and was rumored to have been an alchemist that discovered the philosopher's stone (the alternate name for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in some countries).

Riordan talks about the time he spent learning about Greek mythology from professors that he knew at the end of some of his books as he thanks people for all their help and support on his journey. I think just about every author that creates imaginative stories spends a lot of time planning and researching for elements to add that create depth and detail to their works. It gives those with an analytic mind something to decipher in their free time.
KrystalG

Post by KrystalG »

Honestly, I have never read any works of J. K. Rowling, but I absolutely adore everything I've read by Rick Riordan! His books are fun easy reads that make you feel a whole range of emotions. I recommend them to everyone of just about any age. His book series are just so enjoyable! My favorites are the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the Kane Chronicles, the Heroes of Olympus series, and the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series.
Kayhoff24

Post by Kayhoff24 »

The answer for me is hands down JK Rowling I have been in love with her and the Harry potter series for as long as I can remember!
DaughterofAthena
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daughterofathena.html

Post by DaughterofAthena »

Both are amazing authors with great book series. in terms of style of writing I prefer J K Rowling as hers is more formal and there are often hidden meaning in her words. However I love Rick's use of humour and his loveable characters
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

JK Rowling. I think people try to compare her a lot, but it's not possible. Her works are successful with a much wider readership.
DaneWood

Post by DaneWood »

Personally, I like the world that Rick Riordan has made more than the one J.K. Rowling has. When coming to who is the batter writer, I have to give it to Rick. I have been reading his books since I was a kid and I can always re-read the same books he has written and always notice something I didn't notice before. J.K. just doesn't have the same effect on me Rick does. The Harry potter series is by far one of my favorite series of all times, but Rick has her beet because he has the ability to write different books that take place in the same universe in a completely different style than before. J.k doesn't do that. She writes the same books in the same style. She refuses to move away from her comfort zone while Rick doesn't have one. In conclusion, Rick is the better writer.

Return to “Discuss Authors”