George R.R. Martin

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
David Bowman
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Ulysses</a>
Currently Reading: Echo
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-bowman.html
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
fav_author_id: 2516

George R.R. Martin

Post by David Bowman »

I have read the first two novels of his A Song of Ice and Fire series and am starting on the third. To me, Martin is a great fantasy writer who deals with the realism of politics as well as the mythical of fantasy stories. I can only hope he'll finish his sixth book, The Winds of Winter.

What are your thoughts on Martin and his books?
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
glasses0
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glasses0.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by glasses0 »

One of those fantasy writers, who continue to be on the top, even with huge bibliography. Wonder where doesh he take all the ideas and imaginary worlds?
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
metalheadbette
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metalheadbette.html

Post by metalheadbette »

Oh, George...he is clearly a very talented writer--though he can get a bit wordy and self-indulgent at times. I love the GoT books, and devoured them quickly, one after another, before the first season of the HBO show came out. I have been eagerly awaiting the next book, and was HUGELY disappointed when I read that he may never finish, and instead let HBO decide the fate of several important plot lines and characters. May I ask you, David Bowman, because I love asking other fans--who do you think are Jon Snow's parents?
CRMCRM
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crmcrm.html

Post by CRMCRM »

I love George R.R. Martin's work! He doesn't sugar coat things like most writers nor is he afraid of killing off beloved characters. Most writers would keep the fans favorite around just to appease the audience and get them to read more. Martin doesn't alter his story to appease the audience. No, he tells his story how he wants it to be told.
CynthiaG0199
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthiag0199.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by CynthiaG0199 »

I thing George RR Martin is great. I stumbled upon GOT by accident and I really got into it after a little while. I do hope he finishes this series. I love how he is doing things his way and not being influenced by anyone else. I do get agitated that the books take so long to finish, but they are long and I know it must be a lot of work. I always wonder how he keeps everything straight in his head. Surely he has to keep notes. I don't envy him having to finish this series. I do can't wait to see how it ends. Jon Snow lives!
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

The first thing I did after I finished Book 5 was try to google when we get book 6. I felt a little bad for him since there wasn't a date yet and he is being hounded by fans to get the next installment out. It is pretty amazing how he is able to create such a complex world with so many storylines. It's mindboggling. Maybe that's why so many characters keep getting killed off... :)
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Beccaa
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccaa.html
Latest Review: "Julie & Kishore" by Carol Jackson

Post by Beccaa »

He's an amazing storyteller, he just needs to write QUICKER!
Latest Review: "Julie & Kishore" by Carol Jackson
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Mr. Martin is a fantastic author. He writes super well and draws the reader in and creates amazing connections from the book to the reader. Then he brilliantly kills all your hopes and dreams. I have never had such a hard time finishing a series. I am still boycotting Game of Thrones.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Martin manages to create an epic story while hiding a great many details about the story in plain sight. The imagery and the forewarning with colours as well as with food that Martin manages to convey is mind-blowing.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I love his writing style and how complex his characters are. And I haven't seen any other writer before who created such a vast storyline, with so many many characters and still managed to keep the readers in touch with every single one of those characters.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I've read all the Game of Thrones books, but haven't seen the TV series. I hear he is now writing the scripts for the new series while also writing the book. I hope he does as he left us at an awful cliffhanger. What knocked me sideways was the way he merrily kills off his main characters. Normally you can be fairly sure the principals will survive as they are key to the action. Not with Martin! They fall like dominoes. I was devastated when Jon Snow, one of my favourites, was eliminated (maybe). I have been told he came back - well, the actor of him is still around. This is a gripping epic. I trawled to find anything further after finishing the last ... some scenes still pop up in nightmares!
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Winds of Winter is set to be released before winter, so there's to that. I love his books and after watching the GOT series I raided my piggy bank and the local bookstore for the books. All were extremely good.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

Though I have read the books in the Song of Ice and Fire, honestly I just jumped through the book only followinv the handful of characters I liked. I am aware if and appreciate the skill required to weave so complex a story with such a multitude of characters but I have always preferred to have one or two main characters in a book or even a movie or series. That's just my personal preference.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I think he is a great writer, I just couldn’t handle his content. It was really disappointing for me because everyone else seems to love it so much but honestly I just kept feeling so dirty. There would be great parts, and then things I didn’t want in my mind kept showing up and pretty soon I just hit the wall and still don’t care where the story was going.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I haven't read any of his texts outside the saga of A Song of Ice and Fire, so my opinion may be somewhat limited. I like his writing style in third person limited omniscient: it really makes me feel beneath the skin of the characters. Of course, it's never going to be like reading a text from the point of view of one or two main characters in which their characterization is almost perfect, but it's the next best thing. The development of the fictional world is remarkable, although I believe that in his last books he has moved too far away from the main characters in his eagerness to show us the whole universe of Westeros. It is true that sometimes he stretches too much certain chapters or that he can be somewhat self-indulgent, but I think he's a very good author within the fantasy genre.

Now, to go from publishing the first three books in four years, to publish the following two of smaller overall extension in six, to a pending one which hasn't been completed in seven... Well, I do understand that perhaps he has tried too hard at first, but c'mon man, move your ass and write!

Return to “Discuss Authors”