George R.R. Martin

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by GabbiV »

I've only experienced his A Song of Ice and Fire but those five books are crazy in their level of detail - especially the food. Just thinking about all of the plot threads that get explored impresses me.
Candice_13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-candice-13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Candice_13 »

I've read all 5 of the Song of Fire and Ice, then listened to the audiobooks, and then have read 2 of the chapters he posted online which may or may not be in the new book. I love the complexity of character and the range of characters as well. You can't root for one character without being conflicted because you like another character too and they wouldn't fare well if the first character prevailed. While pretty much everyone hates some characters (Ramsey, Cersei, Joffery), most characters have their redeeming points as well as the darkest parts of them.
I've watched the first 4(?) seasons of GoT, but now when my fiance watches it, I keep yelling "Not Cannon!". I also feel like the latest season (which I inevitably ended catching some bits of) is all fan wishes come true. Jon Snow, Dani, Tyrion, Arya, Little Finger...its all too happy for GoT. I guess we'll see (or won't, depending on if we get Books 6 and 7 or not).
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

metalheadbette wrote: 20 Aug 2015, 11:00 Oh, George...he is clearly a very talented writer--though he can get a bit wordy and self-indulgent at times.
That's how I feel. He's got an ear for dialog, and his world-building is unmatched. But for me, his style is just so unnecessarily info-dense. Like, there were paragraphs where he just described the different banners of various small houses and who was in charge and blah blah blah.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

He is just awesome.He is in a league of his own. To categorize him as a mere fantasy writer would be to belittle the wealth of his books.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

Very talented writer.
I'm currently up to book 5.
The books are very well written. Some chapters if it's pov is from a character your not keen on can drag on though but his storytelling is great.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I can not believe that until very recently, I was completely unaware of GRRM's existence! For the last few years, I kept hearing a lot about something called 'Game of Thrones' from many of my friends,all of whom seemed quite crazy about the series. Then several years, a few urges and threats (from my crazy friends) and two brave attempts later, I made myself watch the episode 1 of season 1. I went through all seven seasons within the next month. But being a bookworm means you are never satisfied with the TV series alone. So I dared read the first book and then loved it and then the second one and loved it and now I am on the third book. I feel both ashamed and amazed at myself for not even knowing him before. Honestly, that was me?
SingularityRising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SingularityRising »

I feel like I may get a lot of hate for this, but I feel the GoT show is better written. The books start introducing PoV characters unessecarily and it convuldes the plot. The way the TV show handles the characters is a lot more streamlined.

One fanboy's opinion!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I'm about 75% finished with the first book. I shied away from this series for years because the length of each book is intimidating, especially for someone who doesn't read much fantasy. It is definitely an easier read than I anticipated.

I enjoy the show, too, although the artistic and creative liberties taken should be kept separate from the books.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Amazing stories. I have no idea how he keeps it all straight and I can't even imagine how he can have characters take entire books off and then weave them back into the next novel. It will be very interesting to see how he can write another book now that the TV series has moved way beyond the last book.
sam_jennifer_may
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-jennifer-may.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sam_jennifer_may »

I think George is one of the most incredible writers of this generation. He isn’t afraid to take risks in his books, and doesn’t shy away from topics that many would. He isnt predictable, which in such a large series is so important. I always find myself shocked by his character plots/deaths.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

R.R Martin seems to prefer his antagonists, his protagonists die fast. Eddard Stark was already turning to my role model, the characterisation was something else. Then Mr. Martin had to kill him off. Just as I was beginning to understand Khal Drogo, thinking "not such a bad guy", killed him off. After thinking Cersei had been done for - The High Sparrow had clipped her wings - wildfire!
R.R Martin is a writer extraordinaire, his imagination is way up there, created a fictional continent with uncharted parts complete with maps. He has also created his own words (Sellsword, Maester), also Houses with banners and sigils. The list is endless.
In summary great writer with great books.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I like him as an author. He built a whole world in his books.9He has a lot of characters and all of them super developed. He is the modern Tolkien. I also like how he handles politics in his story.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
bookdragon7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon7.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B007HCCOIA

Post by bookdragon7 »

I devoured his series and loved it. The tv series is fantastic as well. There were a few times when it got a bit wordy for me and other times I wondered what the point was to some of the random characters thrown in and their viewpoints. I can't believe he hasn't finished the series yet!
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Love the GoT books BUT reading about Martin he seems like kind of a jerk. I don't understand why it would take so long to release the next book in the series when he already knows how he wants it to end. I read that the only reason he's not releasing it is because when it was ready for publishing he found out somebody leaked some of it, and therefor he wouldn't release it out of spite.

I haven't read anything else by him but just rented out a book full of short stories by a bunch of authors I like, and he's one of them. The book is called Rogues.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I greatly enjoy Martin, but am increasingly frustrated as time passes and he still hasn't bothered finishing or releasing ASoIaF. It's common knowledge that he supposedly knows how the storyline is supposed to proceed, and he has his hands in the way the show proceeds. Not to mention he's released other side stories and now a prequel, but not the dang books the rest of us actually want.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Return to “Discuss Authors”