Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
gaygothcousin
Currently Reading: The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaygothcousin.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by gaygothcousin »

Myer by a long shot.
In recent years Rowling has fallen down the well of trying desperately to keep people interested. I find it the most embarrassing to watch the woman I once idolized go on about how Dumbledore was gay, as if it means anything if it wasn't in the book.
Myer on the other hand, knows her time has passed, she stays in her lane. EL James made bank off of a Twilight fanfiction and she didn't throw a fit. You have to appreciate her, especially juxtaposed next to others in her genre like Anne Rice, who would have lost her proverbial sh*t over something like 50 Shades.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

Jazmin17 wrote: 05 Jul 2015, 19:43 I prefer JK Rowling. Both have done very well for themselves and have written captivating and successful novels. JK Rowling to me wrote a better story in my opinion. The Harry Potter series are classics and I think people will still be reading them in years to come. The Twilight series on the other hand will be read a lot less. I prefer JK Rowling's writing style and her creativity which is rare.
I agree that JK's books will most likely be read for years and years to come by a lot of people but probably not so much Stephenie Meyers. Also, it's really hard to compare two authors. Especially because these books are still very different settings and ideas
cianarae
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cianarae.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by cianarae »

I think JK Rowling is more talented as a writer. I also personally prefer stories that are about more than just romance. I think Stephenie Meyer is a good writer, just not as good as Rowling.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I'd pick J.K. Rowling based on the quality of writing. For me, HP was still way more imaginative and coherent as compared to Twilight and The Host. Stephanie Meyer also has a lot of positive points as a writer, but I'd still go for J.K. Rowling on this.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

J.K. Rowling. Her style is much more different that of Meyer. Meyer tends to focus more on her main characters and neglecting the others in her famous series Twilight. Rowling on the other hand provides interesting backstories to her characters.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

JK Rowling, without a doubt. I loved Twilight books, but somehow they did not strike a chord like Harry Potter series. It might also be due to the fact that I read Harry Potter while growing up, and may be could relate to it better. It will stay with me forever.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 05:36 . It might also be due to the fact that I read Harry Potter while growing up, and may be could relate to it better. It will stay with me forever.
I agre on this one. Rowling had embedded Harry Potter deep within us because we grew up with it. It's part our childhood. It's amazing.
Shrabastee Chakraborty

briellejee wrote: 02 May 2018, 20:40
Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 05:36 . It might also be due to the fact that I read Harry Potter while growing up, and may be could relate to it better. It will stay with me forever.
I agre on this one. Rowling had embedded Harry Potter deep within us because we grew up with it. It's part our childhood. It's amazing.

True. Nothing, absolutely nothing can compete with that feeling. It is not a book series for us, but it is a part of our childhood and teenage. Even today I can go back to Harry Potter any day, any time and find a younger version of myself waiting for me! It is truly magic for me, in a way!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Harry Potter, hands down. I loved reading about magic schools, and felt a personal connection to her stories. Twilight was published much later, and sadly, did not strike as much of a chord as Harry Potter did, as the latter was my childhood.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

jvez wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 17:21 I'd pick J.K. Rowling based on the quality of writing. For me, HP was still way more imaginative and coherent as compared to Twilight and The Host. Stephanie Meyer also has a lot of positive points as a writer, but I'd still go for J.K. Rowling on this.
I totally agree with this, although I feel that Rowling has a tendency to want to control her characters right down to the minutest detail, and for me personally, I'm definitely not a fan. That is not to say however, that I dislike the series. I thoroughly enjoyed going on a journey with Harry, and find myself rereading the series from time to time.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Aryastark wrote: 02 May 2018, 21:18

True. Nothing, absolutely nothing can compete with that feeling. It is not a book series for us, but it is a part of our childhood and teenage. Even today I can go back to Harry Potter any day, any time and find a younger version of myself waiting for me! It is truly magic for me, in a way!
We all waited for our owls. Even now, I'd still relate owls and wands to Harry Potter. I mean who wouldn't want to go to a magic school? Harry Potter is truly a blessing for the child or teenager within us. Since it's customary when we meet a Potterhead, what House would you be in if ever?
Shrabastee Chakraborty

briellejee wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:37

We all waited for our owls. Even now, I'd still relate owls and wands to Harry Potter. I mean who wouldn't want to go to a magic school? Harry Potter is truly a blessing for the child or teenager within us. Since it's customary when we meet a Potterhead, what House would you be in if ever?
Considering how nerdy I am, I think I would be in Ravenclaw. In fact, I was sorted to Ravenclaw by Pottermore. I am too lazy to get into Hufflepuff, and hopefully not so cunning to get into Slytherin.. :lol: But a part of me still wishes to be brave enough to get sorted to Gryffindor.. :? What about you?
Aaaah, I am still waiting for my owl! Better late than never! :wink:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Aryastark wrote: 03 May 2018, 04:55

Considering how nerdy I am, I think I would be in Ravenclaw. In fact, I was sorted to Ravenclaw by Pottermore. I am too lazy to get into Hufflepuff, and hopefully not so cunning to get into Slytherin.. :lol: But a part of me still wishes to be brave enough to get sorted to Gryffindor.. :? What about you?
Omg I am in Ravenclaw too! It's almost a tie between it and Slytherin. Guess I'm not that cunning enough. :roll: I do want to be in Slytherin though. But Ravenclaw suits me just fine. I love Rowena anyway. hahaha I hope they have classes for Masters and PhD there :lol2:
Shrabastee Chakraborty

briellejee wrote: 03 May 2018, 05:12
Aryastark wrote: 03 May 2018, 04:55

Omg I am in Ravenclaw too! It's almost a tie between it and Slytherin. Guess I'm not that cunning enough. :roll: I do want to be in Slytherin though. But Ravenclaw suits me just fine. I love Rowena anyway. hahaha I hope they have classes for Masters and PhD there :lol2:
Hey that's great! Yeah if they are offering PhD courses, I am so gonna join! It has to be better than where I am currently enrolled :roll: !
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

J.K. Rowling, hands down, is better than Meyer. Stephanie Meyer is not a good writer. She's uninteresting and juvenile, in my opinion.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins

Return to “Discuss Authors”