Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by Dh_ »

JK Rowling all the way. I love the world she created and the overall flow of her writing. The Harry Potter series is fantastic and it really shows that her imagination has no limits. I love how she was able to create an entire world in such a detailed way and the adventures she thought of. Her work is what I consider genius. That's just me, though. Maybe I'm a little biased because I love reading fantasy books about magic and powers, but that's just my opinion.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
zerofire2905
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zerofire2905 »

Of course I would vote for JK Rowling. If you listen to her whole life story, you could feel how strong and independent she can be. She was once committed to suicide due to depression, but luckily she didn't do that.
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

While neither particularly appeals to me, and both of them are rather commercial (Meyer publishing genderbended versions of her old novels, Rowling still making Harry Potter stuff), I feel like Rowling is at least able to construct a story in a competent manner. Meyer's stories feel like someone wrote one sentence after the other, rarely looking at the whole thing holistically. Rowling does not have that problem. Meyer's work also seems like it was written specifically for a niche, and has little value outside of it. While Rowling's stuff has niche appeal, the positives aren't entirely derived from it. You can enjoy Harry Potter even if Young Adult / Middle Grade, Fantasy, or Magic don't appeal to you.

So yeah, I think Rowling is overall the better writer, though I don't think this means much.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Ealin
Bookshelf Size: 60

Post by Ealin »

JK Rowling for sure. I love her books. The incredible world she created for the Harry Potter books, the complex characters, not only good and evil but morally gray or at least pressured into making difficult and debatable decisions. And the message those books have: the value of friendship and family (by blood or not), being more than you think you can be, and not being limited to what you might have been born with etc.

While I did enjoy the twilight series when I was much younger, I don't think they offer much more than entertainment, which doesn't have to necessarily wrong but has to be recognized as what it is. I didn't find any valuable lessons in Meyer's series. And her writing tends to be a bit choppy.

JK Rowling manages not only to engage readers of all ages, she is also extremely good at foreshadowing and putting details in her stories.
JFalco97
Currently Reading: Shadow Prince
Bookshelf Size: 49

Post by JFalco97 »

Though I'm not a huge fan of either one, I think if I had to choose I'd go for JK Rowling. When I was younger I really enjoyed the Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer, but that was long before I really knew to look at the story and realize that it wasn't all that it seemed. Add that to the movies that they made for the series and I just can't even bring myself to so much as pick one of the books up anymore. The Harry Potter movies didn't do that for me. I readily admit that when I was younger I read through the series more times than I can count. JK Rowling's style is easily captivating, and though my taste has changed since then I still fully appreciate how well written her books are.
JessicaElaine91
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicaelaine91.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by JessicaElaine91 »

To me personally, I can not decide. I am a Harry Potter fan and Twilight fan. I have all the books of both so to have to pick is hard. Both authors have different qualities that I admire. J.K. Rowlings books are strong and they make you guess what might happen next. While Stephanie Meyer writes with more enthusiasm and makes you sit on edge. They both wrote other great books as well. The Host is a favorite of mine and so is the Fantastic Beasts and Where to find Them. Out of those two, I would go with Stephanie Meyers. She writes a great story line in The Host. 9
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
dddoody

Post by dddoody »

You're kidding, right? J.K.Rowling is by far the better writer. Only a Muggle would choose Meyer.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I have not read any of Stephanie Meyer's books. And when I found out she was the author of The Twilight saga I found new respect for her. The three Twilight Saga movies made her a lot of money. But a lot of movie goers were more interested in the actors and their lovelife rather than in the story. However JK Rowling is heads and shoulders above Meyer in terms of readability and fascination with her books is concerned. And if money were to be a gauge for popularity and great storytelling, then JK Rowling is way, way ahead of the pack by becoming the very first author to become a BILLIONAIRE from the proceeds of her books, including the Potter movies...
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I think JK Rowling wins hands down. Don't get me wrong, the Twlight series was imaginitive and orginal (sadly butchered by the movies). But Harry Potter was truly fantastic, both in imagination and delivery. She made a world so many children and adults longed to be a part of - I know I would have done anything to receive my Hogwarts letter! And still would
Cecaniah
Currently Reading: Writing for Children and Teens
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecaniah.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Cecaniah »

I would choose JK Rowling because for me she has done great twists in her books. I also love her Harry Potter books. They made my childhood complete! :)
Vische Dono
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Vische Dono »

In my choice I also like JK Rowling books than Stephanie Meyer. Both have great books which I read both till the end of the book series. But I guess JK has a different and wide scope of stories while Stephanie are more on the romantic fantasy side of the stories.
:)
Lidia

Post by Lidia »

As for me, JK Rowling's world suits better for 8-12 year-old girls and boys in all ages, and Stephenie Meyer's books suites for girls from 13 and more. There are everything that teenager want in JK Rowling's world: friends, new information, learning, self-developing. And in Stephenie Meyer's books there are all that girls need: love, emotions, care.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

Harry Potter reigns! How can one get through life in these times without being exposed to this boy hero who is attractive to all readers, young and old alike?
Jim Thorne
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

JK Rowling now and always. I do appreciate Stephenie Meyer. I'm not a fan of werewolf stories or vampire stories (except Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Buffy's boyfriend's version: Angel) but I actually liked the Twilight Saga. I know I can't even watch the Vampire Diaries, it annoys me.

-- 13 Jun 2017, 04:42 --
ImpatientTypist wrote:I hope I'm not budding in or anything but seeing as you are all either JK or SM fans I would like to use your knowledge of these books and pose a question :).

Why do people like either of these? Now please know that I do understand that there will always be different tastes in literature and I also understand that most people like the stories for either the drama or fantasy. But for me (personally) I couldn't get past the first few pages of Twilight and the HP series really didn't hold up by the last two (maybe 3) books.

I'd love to hear why you guys liked these books so much, and what you liked about them :) Thanks in advance!

You know, reality can get boring and sometimes, you might just want to know what living in another world would be like. Fantasy sort of helps you live in a world other than yours, albeit non-existent. It's also fun to have a peek into the most imaginary of minds.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

I definitely like JK Rowling better. She has a better writing style, and she adds a lot more detail. The wizarding world she created is much less angsty and much more captivating. I feel like she makes her work more enjoyable and relatable for a lot more people.

Return to “Discuss Authors”