Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I liked J.K. Rowling more. Maybe it's the magic.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
tokyo_eatsbooks
Currently Reading: El arte de desaprender
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tokyo-eatsbooks.html

Post by tokyo_eatsbooks »

Stephenie Meyer has no literary talent at all. It's only entertaining at most. For me, both are rather commercial but I'd definitely go for JK Rowling.
animatedwolf3432
Currently Reading: Too Far
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-animatedwolf3432.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by animatedwolf3432 »

Both Meyer and Rowling wrote stories that captured the world and gained popularity. I prefer Harry Potter to Twilight, even though I read the Twilight series twice, and have not actually sat down to read the Harry Potter series. I've listened to it. As a child, my mom read the whole series to my siblings and I. We also listened to the audiobooks, which I definitely enjoyed.
One day, I plan to read the books myself, but that day has not come yet. I love the movies, and have seen them all hundreds of times. Harry Potter will always hold a special place in my heart. I hope to get my boyfriend into it, and our future children will have it read to them at bedtime, like my mother did for me.
While I did read the Twilight series twice, I became less of a fan of it over time. The fanclubs were something I wasn't interested in, and started to drive me away from Twilight. I also didn't like Meyer's interpretation of a vampire. The whole "sparkling skin" thing just didn't make sense to me, or the fact that their skin was "hard like stone".
Bella annoyed me as a main character, just because she was really boring. She didn't have much personality, and she wasn't complex. Simple characters don't bring a lot of excitement to the table.
Long story short, HARRY POTTER FAN FOR LIFE!!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Jauthor97
Favorite Author: J R R Tolkien
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jauthor97.html
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
fav_author_id: 2578

Post by Jauthor97 »

I prefer JK Rowling. I have many qualms with Stephanie Meyer and the ideas she put forward in her books. For example: the main point I have gotten from her series is that a girl is nothing without a boyfriend. I find that wrong on so many levels. What I got the most from JK Rowling was the power of sacrificial love. I had qualms with both, but if the two were compared I would have many more against Stephanie Meyer than JK Rowling.
Latest Review: "And The Little Hills Rejoice" by Barry Bennett Blander
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

JK Rowling, hands down. I tried really hard to like the Twilight saga as it was hugely popular at the time and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I read all four books and it was the first book series I ever finished, set aside, and said, "Eh." I had no problems, on the other hand, with getting sucked into Harry Potter and being satisfied upon it's ending. The characters were a lot more realistic and not "perfect", and they could stand on their own without the person they loved attached to them. Rowling's writing style was flawless while Meyer's left me struggling.
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I prefer JK Rowling based on the fact that I can actually finish her books. I've read about three of the Harry Potter books and about half a Twilight book.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

J. K. Rowling..because I love the way she has crafted a complete story and complete characters.
Larryjean
Currently Reading: A Path Through Suffering
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larryjean.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox

Post by Larryjean »

SarahEOlivier wrote:Agree I read Both and JK's Series' had a message that everybody will always remember
I think this is what brings Rowling above Meyers. The themes and messages all throughout her Harry Potter series are so much deeper than the content of the Twilight series. Granted, I thoroughly enjoyed reading both series'. Hands down, JK Rowling surpasses many.
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Stephenie Meyer. I enjoyed the Twilight Series a lot. Infact i have re-read it many times. I was so engrossed in the book that for some days i only thought of the plot
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Angandmae
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angandmae.html

Post by Angandmae »

J.K. Rowling is an amazing author. I love how she wrote the characters. She gave them all such a great purpose, especially the some.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Even though I read these as an adult, I actually enjoyed both series. But there is no comparison between the two authors. Rowling's books are much more interesting. I was disappointed by her first adult book, A Casual Vacancy.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

As much as I liked Twilight, I have to say, JK Rowling wrote the better books.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
AlexisFerguson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexisferguson.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by AlexisFerguson »

For me, Stephenie Meyer's works have a huge place in my heart as they are what inspired me to become a novelist. I love watching her characters grow, and as a lover of romance and fantasy Twilight always is an appealing read. The books are honestly so different that I think it is unfair to compare them.

I have only recently had the privilege of reading Rowling's Harry Potter and I must say it is spellbinding the talent she has and the amazing world she creates. Her wizard world is so complex and appealing that it deserves the great success that it has. I love her attention to detail and her intertwining plots and characters. She is never predictable and always has me on edge. The series is a great read and a piece to learn from.

Nevertheless, Twilight for me still has characters I fawn over and feel a connection with, rather that Harry Potter, where I'm just watching wizarding adventures and crying at the occasional death. My view may change after I watch the Harry Potter movies (the Twilight movies make the series much more real to me) but as a lover of romance stories, I must say I will always prefer them.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Both seem to be good and successful writers. However, the Twilight series is one of my favorite series and has been for many years. I have only read the first Harry Potter book, but I would like to read the others. So at the moment I would go with Stephenie Meyers, but I will let you know if that changes.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I prefer JK Rowling over Stephanie Meyer because JK Rowling's books can be read by many age groups. I started reading the Harry Potter series when I was in elementary school and I finished it by the time I graduated middle school. Her books were my first book series and they opened up the beauty of reading for me.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan

Return to “Discuss Authors”