Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Stephenie Meyer or JK Rowling

Post by Dael Reader »

Rowling, no contest. I think she's just a more imaginative storyteller and a better craftswoman when it comes to writing.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

JK Rowling, no contest. She used more of her imagination and creativity in creating Harry Potter, whereas Stephanie Meyer basically wrote herself into a book.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I definitely prefer JK Rowling. While I liked the Twilight series, I think Harry Potter is infinitely more complex. The world building that has gone into that series is astounding. Stephanie Meyer had interesting side characters whose stories need telling. I'd love to read a book narrated by Alice Cullen, but until that happens, Rowling all the way.
Terra7
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terra7.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Terra7 »

JK Rowling's books spoke to me in a way that the Twilight saga never did. Perhaps it's the idea of escaping from a dreary life into one of companionship, and yes a little danger, but not the bosom-heaving vampiristic drama of SM's books. Other commenters have noted the predictability of Meyer's books, and I'd like to add on by pointing out how JK Rowling overcomes that. She uses whimsy, inventiveness, and a host of uniquely well-developed characters, whose motives are slowly revealed until BAM, your whole world perspective shifts. Of course, there are the intelligent life lessons interspersed in the Harry Potter books too.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

My high school self would choose Meyer in a heartbeat. By that point, I read all the Twilight Series books and new everything about the movies. I loved it for what it was: a paranormal teen romance. Looking back, it could have been better, but I stand by my love of it. Around the same time, I had only read the first Harry Potter book and seen all the films. I definitely thought it was great, but didn't know the full extent Rowling's story held. After recently reading the Harry Potter books, I can hands down say I prefer Rowling. They're both some of my "favorite" authors, but in the aspect of content, J.K. Rowling's book is more in depth with world building and creativity.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

J.K. Rowling writes better, has a better concept and it's actually original.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

J.K Rowling wins this hands down just for the intricate universe she created for her characters.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Twilight was a more original series, Rowling basically ripped off Lord of the Rings so I would have to say Meyer.
[Krista_Michelle86]
Currently Reading: Practical Magic
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-michelle86.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by [Krista_Michelle86] »

Pfft Stephanie Meyer does not belong in the same sentence as JK Rowling. The Twilight franchise could be completely removed from the context of the 2000's and read in a history vacuum and not only will you still understand it perfectly, but you won't learn anything either, because there is absolutely no substance in it. That doesn't mean it isn't good for what it is--a supernatural bodice ripper. The Harry Potter series is a retelling of the Holocaust and other historical genocides, and removed from that context you still learn the enormity of state violence and the imperative to fight it in all its iterations. Twilight was never relevant, and Harry Potter will never stop being relevant.
Supergoz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Supergoz »

I prefer jk, has lots of creativity
oceana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceana.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by oceana »

I like JK Rowling better than Stephanie Meyer because she wrote a series that was able to capture my interest and make every character have an in depth description it was not just that harry was the savior and had to do everything Rowlings' books showed his struggle and adjustment to this new knowledge that he never knew about himself. Meyers focused her series on a vampire, human, werewolf love triangle and gave brief glimpses of amazing backstories for side characters but left out any real depth for the main ones.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

Definitely J.K. Rowling. I find her characters more well-rounded and her worlds more fleshed out. Of course it's a matter of preference but it's also a matter of skill. Also, there's the fact that both author have had a huge success with their series though Harry Potter has withstood the test of time better.
ems1schafer
Currently Reading: Labyrinth
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ems1schafer »

Definitely Rowling. The HP books have such great character development and dialogue. Plus, it blows my mind when I reread the series and notice something several books before that foreshadows an event in a later book. How far in advance did she plan this? The series itself and its universe is so woven-together that it seems vibrant and real to the reader. And, it is so valuable that HP is appropriate to be enjoyed by readers of ALL ages.
I have to agree that Meyer's books are just too predictable and cliche. I read Twilight and pretty much knew what was coming every step of the way. I liked her writing style in The Host a lot better, but it was still so ingrained in its own genre of SF that it was impossible to be original. Rowling, however, created her own world that has come alive to the group of fans who like it. At the very least, it cannot be denied that even those who dislike HP are familiar with it. Rowling has revitalized the genre of magical fiction and taught real-life lessons to readers in each book.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Rowling by a long mile. Her writing style is superb and her female characters actually have motivation and reasons behind their actions, as well as individuality and intelligence.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

JK Rowling. Twilight (while I liked the movies) I found the books to be dull by comparison, and Meyers' prose was a little too flowery for me.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office

Return to “Discuss Authors”