Favorite foreign author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
2thefuture
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Bookshelf Size: 14

Favorite foreign author?

Post by 2thefuture »

Though many well established authors are not from, or residing, in America.
The author of the enchanting Inkheart trilogy, my favorite books, is from Germany. Caroline Funke began as an illustrator for childrens' books, but didn't like how the authors were writing there books. She believed she could write better, and she did! Her illustrations for her first attempts at children books were announced as "too demonic" for children. This was short-lived once she completed Thief Lord and Dragon Rider, two larger chapter books for a slightly more mature child audience. Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath were among some of her later works. Some of her books still haven't been ranslated from her native language, but those that have are touching more hearts in AMerica than in her own home country!
Your turn!
What's a good foreign author you're a fan of?
OSnowToGo
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by OSnowToGo »

I have just bought "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón in original Spanish and I'm really excited to read it! It's been a while since I was so excited about discovering a new author. The whole universe "Cemetery of Forgotten Books" looks really exciting so it's a real plan for the Summer.
Was just wondering if anyone else had read any of his work?
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Personally i think it would be better to ask

Who is your favorite non American author ?. Because lets be honest that is what you meant.

as not everybody is American in this world. Actually most people in the world are not Americans.

anyway the answer to your question is Fyodor Dostoevsky
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
2thefuture
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 2thefuture »

OSnowToGo wrote:I have just bought "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón in original Spanish and I'm really excited to read it! It's been a while since I was so excited about discovering a new author. The whole universe "Cemetery of Forgotten Books" looks really exciting so it's a real plan for the Summer.
Was just wondering if anyone else had read any of his work?
I've never attempted to read a book still in its native language outside of English as I am not fluent in any other language. However, it sounds exciting just to have the chance to taste the words of the story in the language they were originally written! The titles themselves look promising, but how often have we all heard the saying "don't judge a book by its cover?" What's the story about? I hope you have discovered a new favorite! Favorite authors are amazing since they give you a reliability in their other works. I love walking through a book store and recognizing a good author. Confidence and excitement are probably the two biggest reactions needed to indulge into a book before reading the first page :) :D

-- 18 May 2015, 21:01 --
Jolyon Trevelyan wrote:Personally i think it would be better to ask

Who is your favorite non American author ?. Because lets be honest that is what you meant.

as not everybody is American in this world. Actually most people in the world are not Americans.

anyway the answer to your question is Fyodor Dostoevsky
Fyoder Dostoevsky is so interesting! With his wide array of writing styles and composition methods, his philosophy carries a unique perspective considering the general consensus of that time. Psychology has always proved intriguing when incorporated into works of literature. I've always wanted to read some of his pieces. Have any recommendations?
OSnowToGo
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by OSnowToGo »

The titles themselves look promising, but how often have we all heard the saying "don't judge a book by its cover?" What's the story about?
It's set in post-war Barcelona and is a kind of literary thriller. My favourite part of the blurb on Amazon is: "A page-turning exploration of obsession in literature and love, and the places that obsession can lead."

If it turns out to be a favourite then I will let you know!
Kayo Smada
Currently Reading: Flora and Ulysses
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayo-smada.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Kayo Smada »

I have to say that one of my favorite foreign authors is Japanese author Natsume Soseki. I own three of his most famous novels: "Botchan," "Kokoro," and "I Am a Cat." The last one is my favorite, a story told from the point of the view of a cat. He is so highly regarded in Japan that his portrait graces the 1000-yen bill. I also really enjoy Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I've read several of his novels including "Notes from Underground," "Crime and Punishment," "The Idiot," and "The Brothers Karamazov." As a fan of British literature, I've read many of Charles Dickens', Jane Austin's, and George Eliot's (my favorite) novels as well as many Agatha Christie mysteries.
Max Tyrone
Favorite Author: William Faulkner
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading: Pastoralia
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tyrone.html
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
fav_author_id: 8089

Post by Max Tyrone »

Kayo Smada wrote:I have to say that one of my favorite foreign authors is Japanese author Natsume Soseki. I own three of his most famous novels: "Botchan," "Kokoro," and "I Am a Cat." The last one is my favorite, a story told from the point of the view of a cat. He is so highly regarded in Japan that his portrait graces the 1000-yen bill.
I've been wanting to read I Am a Cat! Just the premise alone--and the fact that it was written in the early 20th century.

My favorite foreign author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez, one of the pioneers of magical realism. I love his prose, his themes, the soul he puts into his work, and his mustache.

Other non-American authors I find interesting are Hermann Hesse, Yasunari Kawabata, Samuel Beckett, Dostoevsky, and Albert Camus.
"No battle is ever won ... victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools."
- William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
Latest Review: "Design Of Life" by Martyn Anthony Rich
Ventis
Favorite Author: Eco and Tolkie
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ventis.html

Post by Ventis »

LOL almost all my favourite authors are 'foreign'... my whole country has about as many people as Miami. xD

My favourite foreign, non-American authors are Umberto Eco, G.G.Marquez and Yuriy Polyakov.
My favourite foreign, American author is Ken Kesey.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I love foreign authors, sometimes much more than American ones. Some of my favorites: Salman Rushdie, Viet Thanh Ngyuen
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

I think one of my favourite authors of all time would be Liu Cixin who wrote the Three-Body Problem, and the subsequent translated version in English by Ken Liu. I would argue that the translated version and the original Chinese version both offers something slightly different as there's been great care ensure that cultural references and linguistic jokes made sense to non-Chinese readers. Definitely a great series created by a great talents.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Probably Brian Jacques (feels like I'm constantly talking about him lately), though I'd have to say Funke is a very close second!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Anton chekov
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Absolutely Chetan Bhagat, an Indian author. Several of his books have been adapted into award-winning Bollywood films. He writes beautifully about friendships and relationships. Seemingly simple topics but he gets to heart of the matter in witty and complex ways. My favorites are “Two States” and “One Night at the Call Centre”
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I love Haruki Murakami, particularly Sputnik Sweetheart which I think is a must-read for everyone.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

One of the best foreign authors for me is Charles Dickens, but William Shakespeare is also great.

Return to “Discuss Authors”