Which author do you constantly recommend?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
JCatSmit16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which author do you constantly recommend?

Post by JCatSmit16 »

Neil Gaiman
Brom
Marie Brennan
Orson Scott Card
And about 50 others...
rkluck017
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkluck017.html

Post by rkluck017 »

When asked to recommend a book I always fall back on Jacquline carey. Her Kushiel series are books that I read over and over again!
Snow Paw

Post by Snow Paw »

Hmmm.... There's a few authors I like, but I don't know if I'd call them 'young adult'. Karen Travis is pretty good, and alot of her work is related to very popular works, like Gears Of War. But, again, I don't know if you'd consider that young adult. Orson Scott Card does really stories as well, Enders Game is a favorite of mine that I've easily reread thirty to forty times.
Marusha

Post by Marusha »

I do recommend Maria Raven.
Naqvee
Reading Device: B00PLE2ROM

Post by Naqvee »

ncardenas1802 wrote:It between Rainbow Rowell and Keira Cass
Exactly.. Who would not love Eleanor and Park.. I'm still in love with :)

-- 13 Nov 2016, 09:23 --

JUDY BLUME :D :D :D :D
jdrmonte

Post by jdrmonte »

If I was going to recommend one author at this point in time I would have to rely on my favorite author, Jack London.
He wrote the book "White Fang" of course. It is an interesting story of life in the Alaskan wilderness. Yeah, yeah, it sounds old hat and there are more interesting story lines to attract your attention, but it is an interesting tale at the very least. Give it a read sometime if you are wanting an interesting change of pace from your usual novel.

-- 13 Nov 2016, 11:53 --
jdrmonte wrote:If I was going to recommend one author at this point in time I would have to rely on my favorite author, Jack London.
He wrote the book "White Fang" of course. It is an interesting story of life in the Alaskan wilderness. Yeah, yeah, it sounds old hat and there are more interesting story lines to attract your attention, but it is an interesting tale at the very least. Give it a read sometime if you are wanting an interesting change of pace from your usual novel.
Polecat1
Currently Reading: The bone tree
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Polecat1 »

Baldacci, no question. Lee Child. Scott Turow. John Gresham. Mighty penmen all. I am from the South, so my Southern favorites are Lee Smith and Reynolds Price. Sadly, Price is no longer with us but both he and Smith tell gentle tales of real Southern experience. I highly recommend these two to anyone unfamiliar with them.
Ellen_

Post by Ellen_ »

Sarah J Maas. She has inspired me so much. She also had a very beautiful writing smile
royvanmiral
Currently Reading: The Black Order
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by royvanmiral »

My favorite author, for sentimental reasons, is Robert Jordan, but for pure style I love James Rollins and Dan Brown. Brandon Sanderson is also exceptional. Authors are really different in style and vocabulary. It really depends on whether or not you want to stretch your vocabulary or not.
Waterstar0610
Currently Reading: Seekers
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waterstar0610.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B012F4HVBE

Post by Waterstar0610 »

Who is mine? Kenneth Oppel. I love his books so much I've read and own the entire silverwing saga and every time I read them I fall in love again. I always have at least one of his books with me wherever I go. I always take books with me. The characters and they're stories provide a familiar and predictable escape when I'm overwhelmed or need a break. They provide comfort when I'm upset and become like old friends. Sometimes they make better friends than people. And new books are like new friends. His stories are incredible and I love how he can really write from the perspective of his characters so you almost see things through their eyes. Even though it's written in "third -person", the story doesn't feel like a person, telling a story about characters. It feels like you are really there. In the story, experiencing it with the characters. that to me is rare. I hope once I print my book it will also be a friend to someone in a the same way. His books are not dry, they are full of life, and beauty. His stories are touching, and intriguing, different yet familiar,and adventurous, yet comforting. He strikes the perfect balance. Another great author is Kate Di Camille. I especially like her book "the miraculous journey of Edward Tulane. The characters resonate with me and they feel so detailed and delicate, as they are alive themselves. When you read it she does write in detail, but keeps it simple enough that one can enjoy the story without being distracted by too much drama and details, that complicate. The details she adds contribute to the grounding, yet magical feel to the story rather than simply being distracting complexities for the sake of complexity and "wordiness". I find so may authors write more than what is really needed to tell the story for the sake of a thicker book, or more books (if it's a series.). I also find many authors dry. Not because the subject matter is dry, but because it's overdone, and many books seems like re-telling if the same story with a few changed details. I found this a lot with romantic fiction (that's why I could never get into romance novels. I tried, once but they just all seemed the same to me so I felt it pointless. Like the authors weren't even caring about telling a good story anymore it was just write more books =a bigger pay check, and if the story is basically the same, who cares? Your name is already well known enough as an author) and YA fiction I.e. twilight & Vampire diaries. I'like the original warriors series by Erin hunter, but the other series of warriors books she has written (I.e. Power of three, omen of the stars, etc) I'm starting to get bored and I find again it's likes she's starting to over do it. I'll just stick to the original warriors series which was very very well done.
Jessika1331
Currently Reading: Blood Vow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Jessika1331 »

I always recommend J. R. Ward .
Aakaraw
Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakaraw.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aakaraw »

I always recommend Mitch Albom and Ruskin Bond because all their books never fail to impress me.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
GrizzlyBear
Currently Reading: The Accidental Tourist
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by GrizzlyBear »

Marlena de Blasi - she writes so beautifully! Start with "A Thousand Days in Venice: An Unexpected Romance". She was an American food journalist and was sent to cover an event in Venice, Italy. It changed her life forever!
BethRodgersAuthor

Post by BethRodgersAuthor »

I regularly recommend Sonya Sones. She writes young adult novels-in-verse which are so fabulously put together for being so short and to the point. Despite the lengthy page count of each of her books, the word to page ratio is so much less than the average young adult novel, but she fills each of those fewer words with so much intensity and purpose. She knocks it out of the park with every single book she writes. I anxiously await the next one!

Beth Rodgers, Author of Freshman Fourteen and Sweet Fifteen, Young Adult Novels
MarkMueller
Favorite Author: Michael Connelly
Currently Reading: I Capture the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markmueller.html
fav_author_id: 3897

Post by MarkMueller »

I always recommend Kinky Friedman. He has written several hardboiled, yet hilarious novels featuring himself as a private investigator. He is a genius at inventing new words and grammar styles.

Return to “Discuss Authors”