Which author do you constantly recommend?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Lins Pens
Bookshelf Size: 22

Re: Which author do you constantly recommend?

Post by Lins Pens »

Reading all of you all' replies, makes me want to go diving for some of the gem authors! I will always recommend JK Rowling, Kiera Cass, and Chanda Hahn. As far as my deeper adult type books, I really dig Belva Plain and have started reading Phillipa Gregory.
Honey Doll
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Honey Doll »

I always recommend Kristen Ashley, or, as I call her, "The Queen." Because isn't she, really? But, I also recommend Jennifer Armentrout, Mia Sheridan, Tara Sivec, Colleen Hoover, Alice Clayton, Shayla Black, Sylvia Day, Amy Harmon, and Kristen Proby. And that's not all of them! All are such great authors. :)
ColetteVC7
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colettevc7.html

Post by ColetteVC7 »

caleighchap wrote:Cassandra Clare. She has a really strong writing style that I absolutely adore.
I feel like Cassandra Clare has some good writing but she struggles when it comes to leaving her work alone. For example, the first three books in the Mortal Instrument series were pretty good but then people wanted more so she wrote three more books even though they were of poor quality. Then she also has a tendency of just giving people what they want. I thought that Clockwork Angel was a really good book. It had compelling characters while also having a good plot and the romance didn't take over the story line too much (a thing that I think happens a lot and tends to detract from the overall story) but then she had to have a sort of love triangle thing. The love triangle wasn't even the worst part! (SPOILERS) The worst part was that instead of choosing one of the men, she HAD to find a way for Tessa to get both of them! And while I admire the fact that she had such a unique character as Magnus Bane, I couldn't bring myself to read that series because she had disappointed me too many times.
I don't mean to offend and I do hope that you respond so we can have a discussion on the topic! :)
Wilhelmenia
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Wilhelmenia »

It would depend on who I am talking with as I had a lot of authors I love to read, the ones I recommend most are Clive Cussler, Dusty Richards, Edgar Allen Poe (true classic), Brad Meltzer, for the immortal type of series it would be Maggie Shayne, Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Kim Harrison. I have more authors I read but these are my main authors. Happy Reading!
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

There are several authors I recommend but my main one is Mary Higgins Clark. It also depends on who I'm conversing with at the time. Recommendations for my family...father in law is Mary Higgins Clark, mother in law Beverely Lewis and my close friends Patricia Cornwell. There are to many wonderful authors out there to recommend.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Tom Robbins, Christopher Moore, Terry Pratchett, and Douglas Adams.

All write with great humour and witty word play, but beneath the surface, the ideas that they write about are often quite serious. They make one think.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Brandon Sanderson is a great writer. He always manages to come up with these completely different magic systems and they're always interesting. His characters and worldbuilding are also great. So far haven't read a book of his that I disliked.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Nivlocte77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivlocte77.html

Post by Nivlocte77 »

I often recommend Sandra Brown. Her books offer drama, suspense, and romance all rolled into one. Being able to get lost in her stories and have it all figured out, only to discover a twist you never saw coming is exhilarating! She does a lot of research to make her stories seem so real and I love that.
Michela_1977

Post by Michela_1977 »

I read very tipe of romance out there, from ya to dark. My favorite authors out there which I recommend every single time are..... Jennifer l armentrout, pepper winters (gawd I love her!!!!) and of course Amelia Hutchins. If you want to read amazing stuff try these authors. This year Lucia Franco came out with an amazing book: balance, but it's a trilogy and she hasn't said a thing about the other two books, honestly I'm a little disappointed. I don't like authors that don't tell us anything about publication dates. :D
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

My favorite authors are James Patterson and Mary Higgens Clark. They are both great at writing content that keeps me interested with every turn of the page. It's also a bonus that the chapters are usually very short so it is easy to knock a chapter out in any amount of spare time.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
UnicornEmily

Post by UnicornEmily »

I'm always recommending Brandon Sanderson and Brandon Mull. :)
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

Charles Dickens and Sonia Coquette.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Lucy Kelly
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-kelly.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Lucy Kelly »

It depend upon who is asking-- but I find myself recommending Mark Helprin, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Chaim Potok.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
MrsBrenneman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by MrsBrenneman »

I'd have to say my all time favorite without would be Robert Jordan. He was the very first fantasy writer I ever read. I feel like his books took you beyond just knowing the characters, but becoming them and being part of thier world. It's hard to find a series that long and detailed anymore. He really took his time setting you up in every book. Recently I have been reading Christina Bauer's Angelbound series. I love that the heroine is sassy and tough. Also, Melina Grace and the Caris Chronicles!
moonshoes
Currently Reading: always and forever lara jean
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moonshoes.html

Post by moonshoes »

I've recommended Brandon Sanderson so much that I'm almost starting to annoy myself. Oops.

Return to “Discuss Authors”