Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
daftkris
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daftkris.html

Re: Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

Post by daftkris »

Nicholas Sparks.

I followed John Green on tumblr for a couple of years and right around when one of his movies was coming out, he became really show boaty and kind of arrogant. I haven't been able to look at his work the same way because I think originally I thought he had to be such a cool guy since everyone seemed to like him and I liked Looking For Alaska. Seeing his posts really put me off of him as an author but hopefully in the future I can put that aside.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I loved The Fault in our Stars by John Green, but I'll go with Nicholas Sparks for this one. The Notebook is really close to my heart and I love other works by him. Unfortunately, I haven't felt like reading anything else Mr. Green.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I like a few from each of them, but I've started to move away from typical romance books over the last few years.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

Definitely John Green. I like all the ones I've read of his. I've read about four Nicholas Sparks books and I just can't tolerate them.
Thebooknerd24
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Thebooknerd24 »

Well I have only read one book by John Green and I didn't like it very much. I thought the whole plot was predictiable and for as much fun as I have predicting a books possible outcome and being right, I found it very very boring! I have only read two books by Sparks but I really like him a lot already! The first book was "The Longest Ride" and if you haven't read it already (but if you are a Nicholas Sparks fan I'm sure you have) but I love how he combined two stories into one and how the separate stories connected in the end. I thought that was incredibly impressive!
Bronsone
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronsone.html

Post by Bronsone »

John Green, hands down! I know everyone loves Nicholas Sparks, but I feel his male characters are unrealistic. They are tough guys who cry. John Green writes characters who are believable. These teens resemble the students I see in my classrooms on a daily basis. Furthermore, John Green is FUNNY! The first chapter of Paper Towns had me laughing so hard, I was crying.
Jane Doe
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-doe.html

Post by Jane Doe »

I personally prefer John Green. Now, I haven't read a lot of Nicholas Sparks' work, but from what I have read I've noticed that John Green likes to sneak in a good amount of humor. I love they the way he does that because it lightens the mood. I hope this helps! :D
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Bronsone wrote:John Green, hands down! I know everyone loves Nicholas Sparks, but I feel his male characters are unrealistic. They are tough guys who cry. John Green writes characters who are believable. These teens resemble the students I see in my classrooms on a daily basis. Furthermore, John Green is FUNNY! The first chapter of Paper Towns had me laughing so hard, I was crying.
you made me laugh when you wrote that Nicholas Sparks writes about tough guys that cry :D :D :D

It is possible for tough guys to show emotion, but perhaps you are true in that this is not often the case. I suppose that's why girls love his books. They seek these kind of relationships in real life, where guys show more emotion and are more open about their feelings. (obviously I'm generalizing about girls, but you know what I mean) (plus, I'm a girl)

I personally like both authors. Both of them write books that make me cry. Why I like their books is that it's not only about romance, but also about life.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
CameronJanssen1500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cameronjanssen1500.html

Post by CameronJanssen1500 »

John Green!
ballisticrenegade
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballisticrenegade.html

Post by ballisticrenegade »

I don't think I've ever read a Nicholas Sparks book, but I have read, and own, every John Green book. John Green is just such an amazing author. His books make me feel for the characters in ways a lot of books don't.
karyn3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karyn3.html

Post by karyn3 »

I love Nicholas Sparks! However, I have not read any John Green, so now...I must...
Ann2305
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann2305.html

Post by Ann2305 »

I am a die hard Nicholas Sparks fan and have read all of his books, but The fault in our stars was such a moving story that I thought wow! I need to read this guy's books! But then i went onto Amazon and there was a new Nicholas Sparks book...
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

One hundred percent John Green. I have never found a John Green book that I didn't enjoy reading. He's just all around an amazing person and an incredible author.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
agarla00
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agarla00.html

Post by agarla00 »

I haven't read anything by John Green yet but I have read every book Nicholas Sparks has written. There were a few times I was disappointed because the books had started becoming predictable and then The Longest Ride redeemed my love for Sparks. He is just the best author!!
CaitlinE
Currently Reading: The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitline.html

Post by CaitlinE »

Probably Nicholas Sparks. They're a bit cheesy, but John Green always ends up being sad, or at least bittersweet.

Return to “Discuss Authors”