Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Re: Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

Post by Michelle92 »

I've read a couple of books of each author but I have to say that I prefere John Green. There is this profound feeling when reading Green. It can call out a lot of different sentiments. Sparks is a classic for romance lovers, that's for sure. But I will continue reading both of them.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
aksauce
Currently Reading: Code Name Verity
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aksauce.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by aksauce »

Although I have not read many of John Green's books I would choose him over Nicolas Sparks. The first few books you read by Nicolas Sparks seem great but as you read more and more they almost seem to be repeating the same story with different characters in different settings. The story line becomes easily predictable and I have often put the book down before the last chapters. John Green adds better twists and keeps you emotionally involved until the last page.
MTNS+bks88
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtns-bks88.html

Post by MTNS+bks88 »

I love Nicholas Sparks. I was hooked with message in a bottle.
PedanticAF
Currently Reading: Uglies
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pedanticaf.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by PedanticAF »

I love John Green. The community built around him, his brother, their youtube channel, and his books is so awesome. His books are all fantastic reads. He is a talented author with books that provoke thought and evoke emotion.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I can honestly say I've never read Nicholas Sparks, but I have seen some of the movies based on his novels and was not a huge fan. Has anybody found his writing is better than the movies? Would it still be worth reading his work?
ReadingMomof4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingmomof4.html

Post by ReadingMomof4 »

I love The Notebook, the book and the movie. But ever since that, the rest seems so obvious to me. I am interested in checking out John Green. What book of his is the best to start with ?
crystalr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crystalr.html

Post by crystalr »

I absolutely love both of them, but for different reasons.

John Green is a great writer because he has the personality in his writing that I feel that I have in my real life. He has some sarcasm, some confusion, some love (and other feelings), but puts into a teenager's mindset. I'm planning on teaching high school levels, and I hope to incorporate at least one of his books into my curriculum. I love young adult novels because of authors that write like him.

Nicholas Sparks is a great author because he its everyone right in the feels. He talks about love, loss, heartbreak, and other things. My favorite book for the longest time was A Walk to Remember. To experience through his characters how devastating it is to lose someone you've loved for such a short time just made me more grateful for the life I have and each day I live.

Both are great. It might not help you decide whether you like one over the other, but they're great for different reasons.

-- 27 Oct 2016, 12:59 --
ReadingMomof4 wrote:I love The Notebook, the book and the movie. But ever since that, the rest seems so obvious to me. I am interested in checking out John Green. What book of his is the best to start with ?

I think that you should start with John Green's Paper Towns or The Fault in Our Stars. Yes, they are movies too, and he's got some other great books, but these two are current conversation starters, and you can watch the movies!
lesleymarie517
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by lesleymarie517 »

Nicholas Sparks seems to be more of the adult contemporary while John Green leans more toward YA contemporary. Both are great authors, I guess it depends on the audience reading them.
eleanorrigby001

Post by eleanorrigby001 »

It depends on what I'm in the mood for. If I feel like indulging in some witty sarcasm, then I'm reading John Green. On the other hand, if I'm in the mood for a maudlin melodrama, I'm cuddling up with Nicholas Sparks.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I love them both but i vote for Nicholas Sparks. His books reached my heart more deeply than that of John Green's. :/
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Noo!! This should never happen. These manufacturer's of tears are very dear to my sentimental, pillow-soaking heart. It's like choosing between milk chocolate or white chocolate. Impossible.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
MrsNMJames16

Post by MrsNMJames16 »

Is there really a comparison between these two? I guess romance but I see them as two very different types of authors.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I have loved a couple of Nicholas Sparks books, but John Green hits me deeper. There’s something more raw in his works. Maybe it’s the part of me that’s always verging on an existential crises that loves them!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Sadly I have not read any of John Greens books but I did like some of the movies based on his work. I own and enjoy Nicholas Sparks books. I am so impressed by the emotional intelligence of these male authors.
lorina19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by lorina19 »

I'm often not too keen on cheesy romance, and I've often strayed away from Nicholas Sparks' movies and books. However, once I read his memoir, Three Weeks with my Brother, my entire outlook on his writing changed. I cried at least 3 times reading this novel, especially when he talked about his son (as I have a sister with the same disability). Everything about his romance novels made so much more sense and I saw that what he wrote was so much deeper than a love story, but a story about his own life and struggles. I have gained a newfound respect for these novels and regard this memoir as one of the best reads of my life.

Return to “Discuss Authors”