Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Gabby
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby.html

Re: Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

Post by Gabby »

Nicholas Sparks is one of my favorite authors! While I agree with some of the previous posts regarding his writing being predictable, I am always entertained none the less.
joanofarc2015
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanofarc2015.html
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad

Post by joanofarc2015 »

14aadams wrote:i would choose nicholas sparks over john green because he has more books out so i have more that i like by him. Sparks are more serious and have good strong story lines.
i agree i thin sparks is for more of an older audience vs green
although "a walk to remember" proves sparks can write for YA green has a more obvious edge with this with " a fault in our stars" and "paper towns"
if you look at sparks stuff it has more mature characters in age and experiences..."the notebook" is a winner (btw)
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad
estebel19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-estebel19.html

Post by estebel19 »

I prefer John Green. His books are charming and funny and his characters are people teens can connect with.
Mntgrl1969
Favorite Author: Patricia Cornwell
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mntgrl1969.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
Publishing Contest Votes: 12
fav_author_id: 2999

Post by Mntgrl1969 »

When I read Nicholas Sparks I feel as if I am actually there looking in on the characters from the outskirts of town. I feel what they feel. Amazing! I have yet to read any books by John Green but now that you ask I believe I will.
maryizabelled
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryizabelled.html

Post by maryizabelled »

They're both fantastic writers and both have their own specific way of telling a story. i think their books pull at my heart in different ways though. Nicholas Sparks makes me feel wiser and more silently in love. On the other hand, John Green makes me want to experience life immediately. Since I am currently reading a Nicolas Sparks books and have my phone in a case with a John Green quote, I guess I love them about the same, just differently.
lynmarie

Post by lynmarie »

I love Nicholas Sparks books! But I also am a fan of Jackie Collins and Debbie Macomber. I guess I just like love stories or books with happy endings! No mystery or killing books for me, there is enough of that on the news!
specs468
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-specs468.html

Post by specs468 »

While John Green is a great author and I read all of his books, no one can hook me like Nicholas Sparks. His novels are so full of emotion and heart that I can never put them down. He will always be in my list of favorite authors. I realize that his books are very similar to each other and you can usually predict what will happen next but the story comes alive when he is telling it.
RachelErmutlu
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Eldest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelermutlu.html
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by RachelErmutlu »

I would definitely pick John Green over Nicholas Sparks. I do not like the way most of Nicholas Sparks books end; they normally leave me feeling sad. John Green's books can also be sad, but they are written in a way that makes me feel it is ok.
Nerdywannabe

Post by Nerdywannabe »

I would most definitely say Nicholas Sparks. I've only read Fault in are Stars and ide have to say it wasnt the best. It was SUPER gripping and dramatic i just dont really like john green a little to much info if you know what i mean. Well I guess Nicholas is the same i just enjoy his writing more
Simply Librarian
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simply-librarian.html

Post by Simply Librarian »

I think they are both write for very different audiences. One romance on sports. Both great authors but appeal to different genders and varying ages. Tim Green's books can be read be a younger audience and still appeal to an older audience. Nicolas Sparks is really geared toward an older audience with a few books that are appropriate for a younger level.
mbeitz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbeitz.html

Post by mbeitz »

BOTH! but if I had to pick it would be John Green. His books are fun and different than any other book out there. Also, easy reads with great characters.
Momma137
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Momma137 »

Both. Each has something different they bring to the table.
KStephens
Currently Reading: Anchor of Hope

Post by KStephens »

Nicholas Sparks.
babika1962
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babika1962.html
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor

Post by babika1962 »

Nicholas Sparks all the way! For a guy, he writes with such emotion and sensitivity that you can't help but love his style. The Notebook, in my opinion, is certainly his best work to date.
Latest Review: "Eros of the Senses" by Ada Ardor
Greystone12

Post by Greystone12 »

dririe wrote:I adore John Green's books. He has a quirky sense of humor and different type of plotlines.

-- 28 May 2015, 14:25 --

I adore John Green's books. He has a quirky sense of humor and different type of plotlines.
I especially enjoyed John Green's Paper Towns

Return to “Discuss Authors”