Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
fancyllama13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyllama13.html

Nicholas Sparks or John Green?

Post by fancyllama13 »

There both such great authors and I would really prefere that I just stick to liking both of them but hearing what others have to say might bring me to pic one.
ravenswoodpublishing
Favorite Author: I have too many.
Currently Reading: Lore: A Pirate's Charm
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by ravenswoodpublishing »

I've never read anything by John Green yet. I'll have to get back to you on this one. I'll pick up one of his books soon! So far though, I must say I do love Nicholas Sparks and not just because he's a North Carolina native. :)
jeannie79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeannie79.html

Post by jeannie79 »

I like to read books by Nicholas Sparks.
Annerz_Bananerz21
Currently Reading: Breaking Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annerz-bananerz21.html

Post by Annerz_Bananerz21 »

I have never read a book by John Green but I might look into it now. I only read one book by Nicholas Spark, I was trying to read something new to me. Usually I read fantasy or ghost stories. My best friend loves to read love stories, so I thought I should give it a try. I absolutely loved Safe Haven.
BookAddict2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaddict2015.html

Post by BookAddict2015 »

I fell in love with Nicholas Sparks with my very first read "The Notebook". I don't think any other book at that time had me sobbing and affected my heart that way before. His writings are inspirational and make us want to believe in a love that stands the test of time. But he quickly challenged me with Dear John when the girl doesn't get the guy. Or the guy doesn't get the girl shall I say. But if anything else is said, I will say that his writings are emotional and powerful and full of love, hope, inspiration and I will forever be a die hard Nicholas Sparks fan.

-- 20 May 2015, 04:57 --

I fell in love with Nicholas Sparks with my very first read "The Notebook". I don't think any other book at that time had me sobbing and affected my heart that way before. His writings are inspirational and make us want to believe in a love that stands the test of time. But he quickly challenged me with Dear John when the girl doesn't get the guy. Or the guy doesn't get the girl shall I say. But if anything else is said, I will say that his writings are emotional and powerful and full of love, hope, inspiration and I will forever be a die hard Nicholas Sparks fan.
14aadams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-14aadams.html

Post by 14aadams »

i would choose nicholas sparks over john green because he has more books out so i have more that i like by him. Sparks are more serious and have good strong story lines.
msterczala
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msterczala.html

Post by msterczala »

Personally, I prefer Nicholas Sparks because I feel that his stories are more mature-orientated and for a broader audience. Both have great works and it's hard to choose
dririe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dririe.html

Post by dririe »

I adore John Green's books. He has a quirky sense of humor and different type of plotlines.

-- 28 May 2015, 14:25 --

I adore John Green's books. He has a quirky sense of humor and different type of plotlines.
dreamcatcherie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamcatcherie.html

Post by dreamcatcherie »

As much as I love John Green, I'm going to have to say I love Nicholas Sparks because I love the films and books of his.

Of course, everyone knows about The Notebook, but it's A Walk to Remember that I love. It such a lovely, breathtaking lovestory, especially for coming of age teens and young adults.

And then you have the beautiful story of Safe Haven that just breaks your heart and makes you hopeful for love and change all over again.

As much as I love John Green and The Faults in our Stars and Paper Towns and all those books, I love Nicholas Sparks more because he has profoundly changed the way I think about love and hope for the future of change.
Abbie Pine
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbie-pine.html

Post by Abbie Pine »

I think I prefer John Green, to be honest, though I haven't read enough by Nicholas Sparks to be certain
roaming_dinos

Post by roaming_dinos »

I have to go with John Green. The way he thinks and expresses himself is very quirky and interesting. His stories are full of quotes that make you think more than what you expect.
Tinkrbellt
Currently Reading:

Post by Tinkrbellt »

I have read more books by Nicholas Sparks than John Green and I would have to say that if I had to pick between the two that Sparks storylines in his books while pretty predictable also they are very easy to follow. I remember reading A Walk to Remember and The Notebook thinking what a great writer Sparks is and wondering where he gets all his material for his books. Meanwhile Green's books Paper Towns and A Fault In Our Stars were both better on the big screen than in print.
heather7878
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by heather7878 »

I am a huge Nicholas Sparks fan, always have been, but I also enjoyed Fault in Our Stars the book better than the movie....I have not read any more of his books but plan to.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I would definitely have to choose John Green. Nicholas Sparks does have some excellent books, but in my experience, they are all eerily similar. I feel like I can predict the ending within the first chapter. I want to make it clear, I do enjoy his work nonetheless. John Green, on the other hand, has different elements in all of his books. They are unique and relate-able, and tell very modern love stories with a twist. You can turn to a page and find beautiful quotes that will stick with you forever. For example: "i feel like my life is so scattered right now. like it's all these small pieces of paper and someone's turned on the fan. but talking to you makes me feel like the fan's been turned off for a little bit. like things could make sense. you completely unscatter me, and i appreciate that so much." His stories also contain humor, wit, and life changing revelations about numerous topics. For those reasons, I definitely choose John Green.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
katiekat08
Currently Reading: Bloodletting
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiekat08.html

Post by katiekat08 »

I have never read a John Green book, but I have seen the movie adaptation of The Fault in Our Stars. Even so, I must say I am a Nicholas Sparks kind of girl. Now I am definitely not a fan of The Notebook, I think it is his worst book, but I do love the vast majority of his writing. My personal favorites are The Lucky One and The Longest Ride. Nicholas Sparks has an amazing ability to draw you in and toy with your emotions. He can take you to emotional highs and lows and leave you wondering what happened, and feeling like you are missing something. It's fantastic!

Return to “Discuss Authors”