Janette Oke

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Janette Oke

Post by csimmons032 »

I am obsessed with Janette Oke. I am currently reading the Canadian west series by Janette Oke and it is fantastic. I also have the first book in the Love Comes Softly Series. I am hoping to read that one some time. If there is anyone who likes a good romance then I would suggest the Canadian West Series. You get a little bit of history as well as a good story. Does anyone else enjoy Janette Oke as much as I do? If so, what are your favorite books?

-- 29 Mar 2015, 17:32 --

I just stared reading Once Upon a Summer and When Breaks the Dawn. I am only in the first couple of chapters but they both seem to be engaging books. Has anyone ever read either of these books?
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I loved her Love Comes Softly series when I was a teen. That series is probably my favorite series of hers by far. Her least favorite of mine was probably her Candadian West ones, but I'm not sure why. For some reason the leading lady - Elizabeth, I believe - rubbed me the wrong way. I also remember reading her Once Upon a Summer series and enjoying that series as well. She may have some stand alone books, though I am not 100% positive about that.
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you Ealasaid for responding to my post. I have not read the Love Comes Softly series, even though I do have the first book for that series. The Canadian West series is the one that I am reading now and I am actually really enjoying it. I guess everyone has different tastes lol. I am also reading Once Upon a Summer and it seems to be pretty good so far. I think she does have a few stand alone novels, but I am not completely positive either. thanks again.
Ealasaid
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>

Post by Ealasaid »

I feel bad for saying that the Canadian West series was my least favorite. I am glad you are enjoying them. :D

If you enjoy that series, I hope you get a chance to read the Love Comes Softly series someday and enjoy them. As I recall, there are a couple more books in that one than Canadian West.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

It's completely alright Ealasaid :) I understand that people have different preferences. There are a couple more to the series. There is also the Return to the Canadian West series, which I have not gotten to yet. I do want to read the Love Comes Softly series though. I absolutely love the movies and I think I will enjoy the books as well.
Ealasaid

Post by Ealasaid »

I forgot they made Love Comes Softly movies. I will have to check them out.
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Absolutely:) they are great movies :)
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Janette Oke is one of my four all-time favorite authors! Most of the books I've read by her, I've read more than once, and I'm pretty sure I read The Measure of a Heart three times. I love Oke's Love Comes Softly series, her Women of the West series, and the Song of Acadia series she wrote with David Bunn. I'm currently 3/4 of the way through her Seasons of the Heart series (just started book 4), and her Canadian West series is on my mental "must get the books" list, particularly because I read Beyond the Gathering Storm and When Tomorrow Comes twice each and would like to know what led to those stories. :D

With the exception of the first movie, I didn't love the Love Comes Softly movies as much as the books, but I've seen all of them and re-watch most of them from time to time.
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

I completely agree with you NadineTimes10. I am currently reading the Canafian West series and Once Upon A Summer. The Canadian West series is an excellent series that I would read again in a heartbeat. I have not read the Love Comes Softly series, but I love the movies. I am finding myself to be completely engaged in her books. Thank you for responding to my post. I am glad that there are people out there who love her books as much as I do :)
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

csimmons032 wrote:I am glad that there are people out there who love her books as much as I do :)
Me, too! I happened to find some old copies of a few of her books in a closet when I was around 11 or 12 years old and have been hooked ever since. <3
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

I wish I had found them that young lol :) I started reading her books about a year ago.
Ealasaid

Post by Ealasaid »

But isn't it super fun to discover new books no matter what your age?
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I love Janette Oak, also! Love Comes Softly is a great read. I hope you start it next! For myself, all of her books have been entertaining with the added bonus of historical facts.
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

You are absolutely right Elasaid :) I always enjoy finding new authors no matter what age I am at. I am pretty much like a kid in that area lol :) Thank you Momlovesbooks for responding to my post. Considering how many positive responses I have gotten for the Love Comes Softly series, I will probably start that series after I finish the Canadian West series. I am looking forward to starting a new series :) I love the historical aspects of her books as well.
Ealasaid

Post by Ealasaid »

One thing I remember enjoying about Janette Oke's Seasons of the Heart series (that begin with Once Upon a Summer)is that it was written from a male's perspective. Most of the books I had read by her were from a female perspective, and I thought she did a great job with these books.

Return to “Discuss Authors”