Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Anyone guilty of not remembering authors?

Post by Connie Otwani »

Guilty as charged! I only seem to remember authors when I enjoy there books over and over, or, when their books freak me out over and over. I would like to be able to remember all the authors whose works I find outstanding.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I must admit that I too, am guilty of not remembering authors names. Now that the majority of the book I read I borrow through Kindle Unlimited I am afraid this has gotten even worse! I struggle to remember the names of TITLES now too!

I found that the only way I'll remember the name of a book title or an author is if I talk with somebody about it.. and unfortunately that doesn't happen as often as it should.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I talk to other book lovers in my area and they quote titles and authors like they have photographic memories. They'll ask me if I've read so and so and my response is generally 'Sounds familiar' and they look at me like I'm speaking Martian. But for the life of me, until they start telling me about the stories I've got no clue! I guess I just read so much that everything just kind of jumbles for me unless it's something truly outstanding.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I can usually remember a few of the authors that I read on rotation. As far as classic books I have a few that stand out like Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I hardly remember authors unless I'm reading a book series. Sometimes I even forget titles. I never forget stories though.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I remember authors but I forget the titles. If they have written alot of books I have to read the summary to re-remind myself if I had read it or not. In as far as remembering my own name, have y'all tried to just wear a nametag? It is great... you remember your name and for those who have a problem remembering names they can just read your name - saves embarrasing moments.... lololol
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I usually remember author name but yeah sometimes it's hard to recall specially when i dont like the author very much.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

For me, it's like trying to remember someone's name, sometimes I remember, and sometimes I don't recall it.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
bookdragon7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon7.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B007HCCOIA

Post by bookdragon7 »

The authors I can remember most of the time fall under two categories: either I love them or I can't stand their work. Every now and then I remember authors that fall into neither category, but for the most part they fall under those. I'm better at remembering what happens in the story and characters which becomes problematic when people ask for recommendations. I'm trying to work on this.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I am used to forgetting book titles and author’s name. I will narrate the whole book but couldn't get the title or author’s name. My friends call me Spoiler due to this habit. 😂😂😭😭😂😂
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

All the time, up to and including book titles. The government official who follows my online activity must be constantly shocked by the things I google. "author of book with drunk three-legged unicorn in pink dress dancing at party"
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

This is why I am so grateful for apps like Goodreads! I don't have to remember author's names anymore! I keep my lists updated to what I've read or want to read and I am always scanning books for my want to read shelf at bookstores. My brain is swiss cheese, so I am grateful for apps that make life easier!
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I remember the storyline’s, quotes and characters first. I have a tendency to forget the title of the book, but I’m still more likely to remember it than the author unfortunately, even though they may be brilliant.
ljfricker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljfricker.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by ljfricker »

I only every remember an author when I absolutely love their work and make it a mission of mine to read more by them. Ones that I find good, but don't eagerly seek out a second book by don't tend to stick in my head, and I often don't end up reading more of their work unless I stumble across it by accident. Having said that, I sometimes remember the names of authors whose work sticks in my head as being terrible... :?
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I remember very few authors' names. Most of the time I end up googling the rough description of the book and then finding the name of the author and the book.

Return to “Discuss Authors”