Poe vs Lovecraft

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Dougiezerts
Bookshelf Size: 0

Poe vs Lovecraft

Post by Dougiezerts »

Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft--two American writes of horror. One in the 19th century, one in the 20th.
Who is your favorite?
My vote goes to Lovecraft. While Poe's writings have been blunted over the years, Lovecraft still has the power to chill you to your bones. Plus, he had a cool name! :D
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have always liked Poe since I was a young boy. He has so many emotions and different parts of the human psyche and soul that he explores, that gives his stories that special something that draws me in and takes me on an adventure every time. Poe is just the way to go for me.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
aparsons
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparsons.html
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri

Post by aparsons »

I have not read a lot of Poe, but I have just started getting into Lovecraft. With these older novelists, it doesn't seem as scary as some of the modern horror writers, but that could be because we are jaded and need more and more to scare us. With the introduction of the internet and horror movies, some books might not seem as scary. Not many things legitimately scare me, and it's mostly jump scares that affect me. I want to read more Poe and I am trying hard to get through the Lovecraft book I have right now.
Latest Review: "A Mirror Among Shattered Glass (Book One of the Supernatural London Underground series)" by Romarin Demetri
E_Goodwin
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 922">Harry Potter</a>
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-goodwin.html
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez

Post by E_Goodwin »

I love Poe. I still remember the feeling I got in the 8th grade when my Literature teacher read The Tell-tale Heat aloud.
Latest Review: "Of the Woods" by Dennis Sanchez
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

LOVECRAFT all the way, i've never thought much of Poe's writing.
Hannah_Graceful
Currently Reading: Wildwood Imperium
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-graceful.html

Post by Hannah_Graceful »

I would have to go with Poe! His stories chilled me to the bone! I tried to read some Lovecraft last year, and for some reason, I just couldn't get into it. Not sure why. I might have to give Lovecraft a try again!

That being said, I do think Poe should have stuck with short stories and left the poems alone. I don't think poetry was his "thing". :roll2:
Wreade1872

Post by Wreade1872 »

Hannah_Graceful wrote:I would have to go with Poe! His stories chilled me to the bone! I tried to read some Lovecraft last year, and for some reason, I just couldn't get into it. Not sure why. I might have to give Lovecraft a try again!
If its a scare off Poe would certainly win, he goes more for the cheap blood and guts stuff as opposed to shock type scares like some writers but Lovecraft i wouldn't consider scary at all, his stuff is creepy not scary.
His writing though is much richer than Poe's and his knowledge of architecture gives an authenticity to his descriptions than really pulls you into his world.

While i'm here i recommend the lovecraft podcast at http://hppodcraft.com (their free shows are on itunes). They read and discuss Lovecraft and other weird fiction short stories, there's some Poe in there as well.

Oh and there's some awesome dr.seuss/lovecraft stories on deviant art :o http://drfaustusau.deviantart.com/gallery/
Goddess of Gab
Currently Reading: Help for the Haunted
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goddess-of-gab.html

Post by Goddess of Gab »

I believe Poe was inspired by Lovecraft?

I will say that while Poe is good, I feel he's overdone.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I enjoy both, but I like Poe better. I like his writings more than those of Lovecraft.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Elaine_18
Currently Reading: In Custody
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-18.html

Post by Elaine_18 »

I like both but if I had to pick one, I'd pick Lovecraft.
WinkeJ
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winkej.html

Post by WinkeJ »

Definitely a Lovecraft story.
AlaskasJade
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alaskasjade.html

Post by AlaskasJade »

Personally, Poe.
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by constantine265 »

Poe, although I love Lovecraft too.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Dougiezerts wrote:Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft--two American writes of horror. One in the 19th century, one in the 20th.
Who is your favorite?
My vote goes to Lovecraft. While Poe's writings have been blunted over the years, Lovecraft still has the power to chill you to your bones. Plus, he had a cool name! :D
Poe's being blunted was because they turned into pop culture and cliche. That's like saying great movies from the twenties (Citizen Kane..."Rosebud...") don't deserve credit because it doesn't have the same power even though they built the industry.

Don't get me wrong, Lovecraft is awesome, but I think the blunting is a sign of strength, not weakness.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Immaculata Uduma
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculata-uduma.html

Post by Immaculata Uduma »

I don't have idea of this.However,i wish to read and learn about some of these books and the authors.

Return to “Discuss Authors”