Poe vs Lovecraft

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Re: Poe vs Lovecraft

Post by Rebeccaej »

Has to be Poe. One of my first responses to Lovecraft was, "wow. This guy consumed a steady diet of Poe during his formative years."

I've found that my taste for "weird," has dampened over time, but subtle and creepy is always cool.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

I vote for Lovecraft as his writings tend to use the readers imagination as his source of horror than Poe.
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

Poe > Lovecraft.
Lovecraft's xenophobia drove him to describe someone doing nothing out of the ordinary as horrifying, simply because he looked different. While Lovecraft codified the Cosmic Horror genre, I would not consider him the master of it.
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
3c_robles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 3c_robles »

bobRas wrote:Poe > Lovecraft.
Lovecraft's xenophobia drove him to describe someone doing nothing out of the ordinary as horrifying, simply because he looked different. While Lovecraft codified the Cosmic Horror genre, I would not consider him the master of it.
This. Although Poe was also definitely not the progressive dude (slavery apologist) he also was just the better writer in terms of craft. You can't just describe something as cyclopean and think that makes it scary, H.P. I do think Lovecraft expanded the weird horror genre, but other writers would take that even further. There's also the problem of Lovecraft being a crazy racist, and if you are somebody who has experienced racism, that puts a real damper on enjoying some of his writing as you get older. I think there should be a recovery group, led by Thomas Lavalle or Junot Diaz, for recovering young Lovecraft fans of color.
chensea
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by chensea »

Poe has touched my university days a lot. So I'd choose him hehe
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Poe is horror to me. Lovecraft is Sci-Fi-ish and odd. I prefer Poe.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I would go with Lovecraft. His stories are a lot more chilling. I like Poe and his misteries but, Lovecraft unsettles me more.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I have always been a fan of Poe... the little emo/goth/whatever in me is still a fangirl. I love the darker stories with their ghosts and mysteries.

I love the idea of Lovecraft's Cthulhu. I haven't read much of his stories, but I have a growing pile of his works that I'm working on. All of my friends know that anything with tentacles--especially Cthulhu--is a welcome and appreciated gift in my life.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I am actually not very familiar of Lovecraft, but I do love the eldritch horrors. I've only been introduced to the creatures through Rimworld modifications.
I feel that Poe's writings are more used to highlight the evils of people. Where Lovecraft has otherworldly creatures that are made from nightmare and dwell in the shadows.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I think I would choose Edward Allan Poe if I had to choose between them.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Both are dark in their own way. Lovecraft is good at psychological horror. Plus deep sea creatures and cults scare me
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

In my opinion, Poe was the better writer! While Lovecraftian horror is one of my favorite sub-genres, and the atmospheres Lovecraft created are unforgettable, his prose and his writing technique do not match up,

Return to “Discuss Authors”