If you could bring back an author from the dead

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Re: If you could bring back an author from the dead

Post by Paliden »

Robert Jordan! I would love for him to write the last books and the other prequels that he had planned for the Wheel of Time series.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
gij316
Favorite Author: Thomas P Wise
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 31835

Post by gij316 »

My vote is for Hemingway. No matter what you think of him as a person, his work screamed passion.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Definitely Tolkien! He created a whole world with its own history, I bet he would be fascinating to talk to.
Ashes_ashes
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashes-ashes.html

Post by Ashes_ashes »

Ernest Hemingway.
AllieSontag
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alliesontag.html

Post by AllieSontag »

If I could bring back an author from the dead, it would have to be between Edgar Allen Poe and F. Scott Fitzgerald. I would choose Poe to find out the true cause of his mysterious death and to ask him about the inspiration behind all of his poems and short stories. I would choose Fitzgerald to discuss with him my favorite closing line in all of literature: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past" -- The Great Gatsby. :D
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

I would bring back Charles Dickens. He was great at making statements about British society and I'd love to read about his comments about present day society
MarkBrantingham

Post by MarkBrantingham »

Homer...I'd give him a computer and a room with an ocean view. "Somehow we managed to lose your comedy. Need you to just bang that out again, sorry."
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

rockandroll wrote:I would bring back Charles Dickens. He was great at making statements about British society and I'd love to read about his comments about present day society
Dickens too. Also Stieg Larsson
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Raven Potter
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven-potter.html

Post by Raven Potter »

I would love for Shakspeare to come back. I'd love to understand his inspiration for the way he writes. I could learn quite a bit from him. And also: if love to find out if he is truly gay or not. The debate is never ending. Judging by the merchant of Venice and many other works of his I believe he truly was... It's hard to tell.. :P
JJD

Post by JJD »

Terry Pratchett or Edgar Allen Poe (mainly to find out how he died) :tiphat:
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Laura Ingalls Wilder, my whole family has read all her books. I would love to know more about her family!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
dovilearlikeviciute
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dovilearlikeviciute.html

Post by dovilearlikeviciute »

I don't know. I would like to bring back Sheakspeare. I would like to hear how the writing in those time really went. Is it really true that most of his sonets were for the publisher and not for his lover. I have so many questions to him.
ToPaintwithWords
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ToPaintwithWords »

I would love to bring back Michael Crichton. His ability to create spellbinding stories that incorporated science, medicine, and speculative fiction was exceptional. I enjoyed every book he wrote but my most favorite of all was "Timeline" - a tale in which scientists travel back to medieval England to alter a timeline. As they pass back and forth between ages, they incur "transcription errors" - their DNA becomes scrambled and the person may not be able to be reassembled as they were initially. Sometimes the transcription errors were fatal.

The conclusion of this story was surprising and yet a fitting one, given the characters and the events which occurred.
S E Brisbane
Currently Reading: The Little Red Chairs
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-e-brisbane.html

Post by S E Brisbane »

I honestly think many of the authors here would be great to visit with. I would definitely concur with Miguel de Cervantes and Dr. Seuss, as I love to use quotes from these two authors. It I had to bring back others, I would choose C.S. Lewis and Charles Dickens. I loved the Chronicles of Narnia and A Christmas Carol.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

There have been some wonderful authors mentioned here. Personally, I would be intrigued to bring back Edgar Allen Poe. It would be great to talk to him and read more of his works.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Return to “Discuss Authors”