Sherlock Holmes

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by David Dawson »

Charlotte Reese wrote:
If you're looking for modern adaptations, many people have enjoyed the BBC's Sherlock, though I myself haven't quite liked it as much as I wish I could. They play up the "Jerk Genius" aspect of his personality way too much for my liking, so much that it borders on ill humour;
I like BBC's Sherlock although I totally agree with your "Jerk Genius" assessment.
Hmmm, I'm not sure how much that aspect of the series is a diversion from Conan Doyle's Holmes. He can be pretty obnoxious in the books.

On another note, I've been re-reading the books over the last week or so and it is really re-iterating to me how far they diverge from the conventions of detective fiction (which is not really a criticism, just that they pre-date them) - especially the idea that the reader should at least have a reasonable chance of working out the solution. Not that I think it necessarily detracts from them.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
Alden Loveshade
Favorite Author: Whoever I am reading
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alden Loveshade »

I read all off Doyle's Holmes books and thoroughly enjoyed most of the stories. Recently I saw an article that Sherlock Holmes may have Asperger's Syndrome. He was obsessed with small details, was irritated by the irrational and tried finding a rational explanation for everything, avoided emotional relationships, had only one close friend. I had long thought he showed signs of Bipolar Disorder, so maybe he showed both.

-- 04 Sep 2014, 15:29 --

To me, the closest portrayal I've seen to Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes is Jeremy Brett.
Hazel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel.html

Post by Hazel »

It was really a fascinating book but I found it difficult to understand part of the content due to the style of writing which I'm not used to. But overall, its a really great book to read!
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

David Dawson wrote: Hmmm, I'm not sure how much that aspect of the series is a diversion from Conan Doyle's Holmes. He can be pretty obnoxious in the books.

On another note, I've been re-reading the books over the last week or so and it is really re-iterating to me how far they diverge from the conventions of detective fiction (which is not really a criticism, just that they pre-date them) - especially the idea that the reader should at least have a reasonable chance of working out the solution. Not that I think it necessarily detracts from them.
Personally I find him to be more agreeable in the books than how he is portrayed elsewhere. Also, I'm not sure what other readers might experience with this series. But to me, Sherlock Holmes was more of an interactive book that let me think for myself and try and solve each mystery. Of course this varies with each person.
Alden Loveshade wrote: Recently I saw an article that Sherlock Holmes may have Asperger's Syndrome. He was obsessed with small details, was irritated by the irrational and tried finding a rational explanation for everything, avoided emotional relationships, had only one close friend. I had long thought he showed signs of Bipolar Disorder, so maybe he showed both.
That's very interesting. He's eccentric, yes, but I never actually thought of him as having some sort of syndrome or disorder.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
JanuaryGray
Favorite Author: John Sandford
Currently Reading: Beijing Bastard at author request
fav_author_id: 16800

Post by JanuaryGray »

I'm don't have any suggestions regarding adaptations, but I am currently reading and getting reading to review Sherlock Holmes in graphic novel format from Dover Publications. The shading could be a little better on the drawings, but it is an interesting and fresh way to enjoy our dear Holmes. :)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

A_Velarde23 wrote:
It seems to me that now they have started to concentrate more on his eccentricities and on giving him a romantic life, than on his detective skills. For example, in the original series he states that he has never been in love, that he isn't an admirer of women. He both dislikes and distrusts them, and is even described as more of a machine than a human. Yet in many different adaptations, he is given a romantic life with either one or many partners. It makes me wonder if changes like these are necessary to his story.

I have several adaptations of Sherlock Holmes that I really like, while others, I feel, are steering away from the mystery elements in the original stories. I was wondering if after reading the Sherlock Holmes series, do any of you feel any adaptations, both old or new, did justice to it? Which would you recommend, and do you feel the changes being made to the original are good or bad?
If by adaptations you are referring to stories written by authors other than Arthur Conan Doyle (and I assume you are) I can tell you now that they are bogus misrepresentations of the character created by the original author. In my own opinion anything written by anyone other than A.C. Doyle is to be dismissed out of hand, for there is no "original series", there is only THE series - everything else is a fraudulent, "monkey with a parasol" attempt by "authors" with apparently no creative talent of their own to capitalize on the genius of A.C. Doyle.

If you are suggesting that in THE original series of works by Arthur Conan Doyle Holmes becomes enamored with members of the female persuasion you are patently wrong. He admired Irene Adler in A Scandal In Bohemia because she bested him ... he was smitten by her brains not her looks. In other stories such as A Case Of Identity or The Copper Beeches Holmes demonstrates his disgust with men who would impose upon the sensitivities of women, but only because in doing so they overstep the bounds of ethics and gallantry, not because he romantically admires the women of these stories.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Reshmi
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Our Lady of Alice Bhatti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reshmi.html

Post by Reshmi »

I can read 'Sherlock Holmes' any number of times and still not be bored :)
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

Sherlock Homes is one of my favorite mystery series. I own several books in the series, but haven't gotten to read them all, yet.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>

Post by Airam Velarde »

DATo wrote: If you are suggesting that in THE original series of works by Arthur Conan Doyle Holmes becomes enamored with members of the female persuasion you are patently wrong. He admired Irene Adler in A Scandal In Bohemia because she bested him ... he was smitten by her brains not her looks. In other stories such as A Case Of Identity or The Copper Beeches Holmes demonstrates his disgust with men who would impose upon the sensitivities of women, but only because in doing so they overstep the bounds of ethics and gallantry, not because he romantically admires the women of these stories.

I think you misunderstood me. I know very well that Sherlock admired Irene for her intelligence and that he was in no way enamored with her or with any other female character. What I meant is that in modern adaptations, such as in TV series, movies, or books, Sherlock is portrayed as being romantically attached to either Irene or other women. Personally I do not like that his character was changed like this because in THE original series, he is clearly against relationships such as these. I'm sorry if what I stated before was a bit confusing for you, I hope this made it clearer. :mrgreen:
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
JonathanFavorsGrimes
Currently Reading: Shakespares Classics
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonathanfavorsgrimes.html

Post by JonathanFavorsGrimes »

I've skimmed through some of the books when I was younger. It was something that really didn't get my interest until was in college. I've seen the movies and watched the show's although there totally different from the books. But I do plan to read them one day, it's totally on my book list.
Charlotte Reese
Currently Reading: A Year in Provence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-reese.html

Post by Charlotte Reese »

David Dawson wrote:
Charlotte Reese wrote:
If you're looking for modern adaptations, many people have enjoyed the BBC's Sherlock, though I myself haven't quite liked it as much as I wish I could. They play up the "Jerk Genius" aspect of his personality way too much for my liking, so much that it borders on ill humour;
I like BBC's Sherlock although I totally agree with your "Jerk Genius" assessment.
Hmmm, I'm not sure how much that aspect of the series is a diversion from Conan Doyle's Holmes. He can be pretty obnoxious in the books.
I find him less callous and more mannerly in the books. He showed some concern for his clients' welfare so he's not the total "high-functioning sociopath" that the BBC series glorifies.
bookwrm22
Favorite Book: any book that someone took time to write
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes + Percy Jackson series
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwrm22.html

Post by bookwrm22 »

As far as I can remember, I have NEVER read a book because I saw the movie/TV show. However, I have to say, it has happened. I started to read Sherlock Holmes because of the BBC show, which, by the way, I totally recommend. It's a good show. Anyway, I am only about 30 or 40 pages in but I am fascinated by the work. A book (well, a bunch of stories, really) written over a century ago can be compared with today's novels and still hold its own. It amazes me how literature has since progressed.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Alden Loveshade wrote:
To me, the closest portrayal I've seen to Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes is Jeremy Brett.
I wholeheartedly agree! He really became Sherlock with his performances. Whenever I read the stories now, I picture him as Holmes in my mind's eye. Brilliant performance! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I love all the Sherlock stories! I thought that some of them were laugh-out-loud funny, and the writing is just phenomenal. To create a cast of characters that are so deep and diverse is truly a feat of genius! When I watch any of the TV/movie adaptations, I try to think of them not as versions of the stories that've already been written but as continuations of Sherlock's life. My two favorite adaptations are the BBC Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch (I see that some others have recommended this, too) and the Robert Downey, Jr. movies. The BBC show gets darker as the season go on, and I could definitely see many of Sherlock's written qualities and eccentricities coming to life. I disagree with the "jerk genius" classification, though. I think that people with great minds are just a little weird, and I definitely think it can have a profound effect on their social skills. I don't think he's trying to be a jerk; he's just misunderstood. As for the Downey movies, I love that they play up the humor. In the second movie, at one point, I was crying, then I was laughing, then I was crying from laughing so hard. I think this captures the true spirit of the books--a wild ride of emotions packed into a short period of time.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Airam Velarde

Post by Airam Velarde »

rssllue wrote:
Alden Loveshade wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree! He really became Sherlock with his performances. Whenever I read the stories now, I picture him as Holmes in my mind's eye. Brilliant performance! :D
Recently I stumbled upon the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett and he is absolutely amazing. I think he comes the closest to how I pictured Holmes while reading the stories.

~Victor Hugo

Return to “Discuss Authors”