Sherlock Holmes

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by DATo »

A_Velarde23 wrote:I think you misunderstood me. I know very well that Sherlock admired Irene for her intelligence and that he was in no way enamored with her or with any other female character. What I meant is that in modern adaptations, such as in TV series, movies, or books, Sherlock is portrayed as being romantically attached to either Irene or other women. Personally I do not like that his character was changed like this because in THE original series, he is clearly against relationships such as these. I'm sorry if what I stated before was a bit confusing for you, I hope this made it clearer. :mrgreen:
It appears then that we agree. In the stories written by Doyle Holmes was not a ladies man at any time.

This is why I said that counterfeit stories written about Holmes by anyone other than Doyle should be dismissed. When they mess with the fundamental persona characteristics of Holmes they taint the entire story. It is sort of like rewriting the story of the first Christmas by putting Joseph and Mary in a Howard-Johnson hotel.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I read somewhere that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's father drew illustrations for the the earliest original stories. Can anybody else verify this?

-- 20 Oct 2014, 04:24 --

There are many great Sherlock Holmes stories. Here are some of my favorites.

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES: Fantastic, atmospheric tale, with real suspense and humor, particularly in the Holmes/Watson scenes. The best of the novels.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I absolutely love the Sherlock Holmes stories, so much that I wrote a paper about Holmes' methods for my Forensic Biology class. Doyle was really ahead of his time regarding forensics--many of the methods used by Sherlock Holmes to solve crimes have very similar modern-day counterparts.

I can't think of any adaptation that portrays Holmes accurately enough (of course, I haven't seen all of them). I believe that the character is so different from most people that many screen writers feel the need to change him so that he is more relatable. Personally I suspect that a real-life Sherlock Holmes would likely be diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, as he seems to meet many of the criteria for the disorder (I am speaking from personal experience here, as I, too, have the diagnosis).
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

I have also read the entire series and love it! I don't think there needs to be any adaptions in the written form for any of these stories. If you aren't sure of the context, it gives you an excuse to looks it up and learn something!! If you want more modern, just watch the BBC Sherlock. Don't read adaptions, the original stories are classics for a reason.
"Why understand when you can believe?" Christopher Moore, Coyote Blue
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I think that some authors have done a good job of writing new Sherlck stories by keeping the original theme and character of Doyle's pieces. Of course, there are others that just butchered the characters as well which make their stories almost unreadable for me. It is kind of a crap shoot I guess, but one that does sometimes pay off with a good story to read.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I absolutely love the Sherlock Holmes stories, so much that I wrote a paper about Holmes' methods for my Forensic Biology class. Doyle was really ahead of his time regarding forensics--many of the methods used by Sherlock Holmes to solve crimes have very similar modern-day counterparts.
I actually saw a documentary on PBS once about this same subject. I can't recall the name of it, but it also was about the comparison between Holmes' methods in solving a case and the methods used today by investigators. It was very interesting! :D
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
ahcrosw10

Post by ahcrosw10 »

I have read a number of the Sherlock Holmes stories, my favorite I think is The hound of the Baskervilles, as far as the series on TV I
love Elementary and record that. My second favorite would be Sherlock with Jeremy Brett that I think was the closest in TV to Sherlock
Holmes books, The new adventures with Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman I don't really care for. He does use
a lot of the observational powers of Sherlock, but this series varies away from the original too much . Elementary is a modern series
with Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock and Lucy Liu as Watson it has a different twist to it, but it is still very enjoyable. My favorite actor of all time to play Sherlock was of course Basil Rathbone.
reynolds1996
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynolds1996.html

Post by reynolds1996 »

I have the original series and I absolutely love it!
rishitha

Post by rishitha »

Hound of baskerville is the excellent book that i had read.
Robee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robee.html

Post by Robee »

I own the complete two volumes of Sherlock Holmes and they are such addicting reads! Recently I watched BBC's Sherlock and now I understand the hype behind it. Although both of them are different but they have the same intense pull and grip. Sherlock Holmes is a truly celebrated creation of Conan Doyle.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

Going back to comments from the original posts, it seems as if every new generation "re-diagnoses" Sherlock Holmes. In the 1980's and 1990's, the most popular implication was that Holmes was bipolar. Now, shows like "Sherlock" and the Robert Downey Jr. films distinctly emphasize Asperger's Syndrome.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

I love Sherlock Holmes! Timeless character and stories.
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
CarolinaBookworm
Currently Reading: The Ruthless Realtor Murders
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by CarolinaBookworm »

I couldn't agree more, stevefromtheblock. Until now, I've only read a few of the stories (and quickly fell in love with them) but I finally have the chance to read all of them since I recently bought the entire collection for my Kindle; I can't wait to dive in ^_~
DATo

Post by DATo »

CarolinaBookworm wrote:I couldn't agree more, stevefromtheblock. Until now, I've only read a few of the stories (and quickly fell in love with them) but I finally have the chance to read all of them since I recently bought the entire collection for my Kindle; I can't wait to dive in ^_~
If you'd like a bit of well-intentioned advice I would suggest reading A Study In Scarlet first, if you have not already done so. This is the story of how Holmes and Watson met and gives some background on their lives prior to meeting. It sort of sets the stage for all of the stories which come after.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
CarolinaBookworm
Currently Reading: The Ruthless Realtor Murders
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by CarolinaBookworm »

Thanks a lot, DATo. I'll do just that :)

Return to “Discuss Authors”